Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cole haan, ferragamo, bengal-stripe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Oct 23, 2003.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Gents,
    I'm thinking about buyig a pair of Cole Haan oxfords. I really don't need a new pair of shoes, so if the quality of these shoes are questionable...forget about it. They're made by Cole Hann and retail for $250 at Nordie's--which seems a bit steep for Cole Haan (don't worry, I don't believe in paying full retail). How might these compare to next echelon of ready made shoes (Ferragamo, Bally, Magli, Moreschi, Tod's, AE, et al?)?

Second question, I recently read some old posts about a Ferragamo studio line. How can you identify Ferragamo studio line from their better shoes? I own a three pairs and can't really distinguish between the three in terms of labeling (pairs retail range from 275-425).

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

For Ferragamo's on the sole there should be embossed something that starts with an L. Lavorazione or somesuch I do not recall.

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cole Haan has so many different models at so many different levels of quality with so many different methods of construction that it's really impossible to say how the shoes in question compare with other makes.

Ferragamo Studio shoes usually have Studio stamped underneath the Ferragamo logo inside the shoes. Regular Ferragamo will have Lavorazione Originale stamped on the sole of the leather-soled models. Tramezza Ferragamos have Tramezza stamped on a brass plate on the sole of the shoe. There are other ways to tell them apart, but I'd have to show you the shoes to do a good job of it.

4. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

From what I can tell, the Ferragamo studio have a rubber sole, as opposed to the regular ones with leather soles...

This is only what I've seen, there may be other Studio versions with leather soles...

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not familiar with Cole Haan at all, as they are not available here in the UK. But as jcusey has pointed out, they have so many different lines that I wonder whether they manufacture anything at all or are just a wholesale distributor. Just like Florsheim, who were once so famous, that Jack Nicholson in "Chinatown" after someone had stepped on his toes, shouts: "Oii, there Florsheim." After going bankrupt, Florsheim has seized all production and sells third world sourced shoes under their name.

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

They are not worth it - you pay a premium for the name. I'll give you an example:

Some of the Cole Haan 'bench made in England' shoes I've seen were from Alfred Sargent's lowest line. But you pay $250-$300 for them since they have the Cole Haan name.

Better to go to ww.pediwear.co.uk and buy yourself a pair of the same shoes for $150 including shipping.

7. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

Or keep your eyes open for a pair of Alden's on e-bay. New Alden's seem to sell for between $150 and $200 there. As discussed elsewhere, Alden's are far superior to the run of the mill European lines you mention, and also better, IMO, than the AE's.

If you want AE's, they operate a series of factory stores that sell 2nds, often at significant discounts. You can usually call them and order a pair, or get on their mailing list and wait for special sales/offers (for example, they occasionally run sales in certain sizes/widths, any shoe for $99 or $109).

8. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Sorry to revive a very old topic, but it came up in a search.

I recently bought two pairs of the Cole Haan made in England shoes from the Orlando Premium outlets store.
    Originally $325 a pair, marked down to $170, and another 50% off.  So $85 for decent goodyear-welted English shoes is a pretty good deal.  Lots of burgundy coloured cap-toed oxfords left (mainly in larger sizes) for those in the Orlando area.

9. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Also, the Salvatore Ferragamo emblem is actually stitched inside the shoe with the Tramezza line. Unlike the others which have the gold stamp inside the shoe.

10. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Now, did you have to revive this thread?  My shoe rack is an embarassing example of conspicuous consumption for someone of my limited financial means... I mean Cole Haan? (which I never did buy by the way).. Man how things have changed...

EDIT: For sounding a little too indulgent.

11. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Yes, your means must be very limited indeed.

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Sure, sure, Norcal. Â I heard you just added a pair of these to your collection: [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Oops. I didn't realize the thread was old. Sorry.

14. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Ok, here are some quick pics of the Cole Haan made in England shoes I picked up: [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] Not bad for $85. I'll put them somewhere in my B-list shoe rotation.

15. david135

david135 Active Member

I just recently picked up a pair of brown Cole Haans... and I am really satisfied with them... I think i paid $120 or something for them... Extremely comfortable I cant have the really pricey shoes because after all Im a student