• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cole Haan - English Bench Made

fkl118

Reaction score
I believe they're Alfred Sargents.

It's a good deal for $89.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an the exact model in a light chestnut color. They're very well made, probably on par with Alden and better than Tyrwhitt.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the lettering on the sole and my previous experience with the CH English made line, I believe these are from Alfred Sargent and not Crockett & Jones. Quality on these shoes is very good, maybe a notch below the Brooks Brothers Peal line. For $89 you could do much, much worse.

Like those $165 bluchers from Banana Republic. Hee hee.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Based on the lettering on the sole and my previous experience with the CH English made line, I believe these are from Alfred Sargent and not Crockett & Jones. Quality on these shoes is very good, maybe a notch below the Brooks Brothers Peal line. For $89 you could do much, much worse.

Like those $165 bluchers from Banana Republic. Hee hee.

norcaltransplant - what is the watch in your avatar? Maier & Soehne? That's a sweet movement and display back!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe "Bench made in England" points to Cheaney. I'm pretty certain, that's their signature.
I haven't inspected Cheaney shoes in years, but if I'm in town tomorrow, I will check it out.

I suppose, over the years Cole-Haan English have commissioned any Northampton manufacturer in existence (and a few that are no longer).

P.S. Not C&J.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GDL-- Display back on an INexpensive German I picked up (Lindburgh and Benson). It's an ETA manual wind ebauche. Pretty rough finishing. I would have actually preferred a solid back to the display.

Bengal Stripe and Others: I like the Cheaney call. I knew the A.S. call wasn't quite right, but then I noticed the Brancock sizing typical of Cheaney shoes after Bengal Stripe made such an astute observation.

Correction: Inexpensive, as cheap.

Display backs are fun, even on budget pieces!

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
GDL-- Display back on an expensive German I picked up (Lindburgh and Benson). It's an ETA manual wind ebauche. Pretty rough finishing. I would have actually preferred a solid back to the display.

Did you mean "expensive" or "inexpensive"? In any case, the movement looks quite nice from here - the bridges look reduced to their minimum surface (in a Glashutte chronograph kind of way... spaghetti bridges). Except for the hideous balance cock... Can't see the actual finish on the pic though...

Anyhow, if you would have "actually preferred a solid back to the display", why are you showing off the display back as your avatar?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
In the earlier years of Cole Haan, the English Bench mades were made by Grenson. In the early nineties they changed manufacturers and could not say who they were.

Best Regards,

Gary

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the Cheaney call.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Are they still a "good deal" at, say, $200 a pair? How about $100-150?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Cheaney call.
Checked it today:
"Benchmade in England" is definitely Cheaney.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40