1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cognitive Dissonance: "Polo = Prole/hiphop/Outlet brand" vs. "Ralph Lauren/RLPL is not"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Nov 1, 2011.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I think it's just the current trend with car design, rather than a brand whoring type thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Honda, Audi and VW, all with massive silver logos on their grills, plus I can think of Citroen and Peugeot as well.

...but then having giant logos on cars is not exactly a new idea..
    [​IMG]
    ...a 1956 Citroen 2CV. One can't really brand whore with one of these things and try and pass it off as luxury. I believe the 2CV was originally designed as a cheap car for French peasants.

Looks like Mercedes is doing a 'Rolls Royce' type thing with the S Class, The brand logo as an actual object above the grill, gives it an air of prestige and luxury.

I think brand recognition has always been important with cars. More so these days with so many cars looking very similar to each other, with joint manufacturing agreements, cross licensing, etc. With many older cars, even without branding, they're instantly recognisable, 2CV, Mini, Beetle, etc. With those modern Mercedes A, B and E classes, without any branding it's probably quite difficult tell what they are, they could be from any manufacturer.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

You people do know the whole grill on that S class is basically a logo? The same way the Jeep headlights and grill used to be.

You people know an A or B class is basically a MILF city car? That in many European cities a S class can't even fit down some roads?

Of course people wearing hush puppies and a ball cap to cover up wouldn't know these things.

1 person likes this.
  3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yup indeed.

Take the current Mini...
    [​IMG]
    The actual branding is really quite discrete. But on the other hand the whole car is basically a logo. The unique and distinctive shape says 'Mini', it can't be anything else. Similarly with the current VW Beetle.

Most newer cars are really just wind-tunnel optimised generic blobs. There is really no way to tell what they are, apart from the branding.

The Mercedes grill has been a distinctive trademark of their cars for a long time, notable by its absence on the smaller cars. It's like a Rolls Royce grill, remove the silver lady and any other branding and it's still obviously a Rolls Royce.

It's like with casual shirts or something, probably the only way to tell Ralph Lauren casual shirts from anyone else's casual shirts, is that they put a distinctive pony logo on them.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. tone76

tone76 Senior member

That's true. However, for a long time, the shape of the grille and the subtle Three Pointed Star on the top was enough branding. As M-B started chasing volume, particularly among the more status conscious markets, the branding has become more blatant on their lower tier product lines ... not unlike Ralph Lauren.

I just wish I could find an electronic version of that damn article. It was far better written than anything I could ever come up with. :brick:

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Except when it's a Bentley (this comment only applies to the pre-break up RR/Bentley models)

6. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I disagree with this a little.

Purple Label > or = Black Label

Black Label > Polo

RRL > or = Rugby/Polo

Polo & Rugby are > or = or < each other (Meaning that the quality differs item to item)

Rugby & Polo > Chaps

His energy is spread out since each brand is run sort of like a separate company internally, but they don't necessarily have to compete.

7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You know, I initially replied to your threads on the off chance that you're not a troll, that you might just be an stupid.

But you must be a genius to be able to weave such discriminatory undertones into troll posts. That, and also sick.

The apparent inability to understand the difference between calling something distasteful or tacky, and openly mocking a so-called "low-class" person for wearing nikes (?) is a master stroke.

Another good one is not understanding that Ralph Lauren (green, black and purple labels) are all "tacky fashion brands", as is Nike.

Amazing. Disgusting.

8. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Hendrix,

A Polo sneaker wearing, NASCAR watching, Tim Mcgraw listening dude is considered in a lower class than the AE wearing, US Open watching, Rachmaninov listening dude. I find it comical that this is so offensive to you. Newsflash: There are different classes in this country. There is lower class, middle class, upper middle class, the 1%, etc. Are you that much of a pretentious ass to deny such basic truth? Hate to break it to you, but a plumber is not considered in the same class as a doctor. I am not the one who is sick, clueless, and just plain stupid ....it is you. Grow up, kid.

This is hardly a troll post. It is a debate centering around brand dilution issues.

As far as not knowing the distinctions b/w RL brands, the only RL I own is a RLPL knitted tie.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  9. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Well pardon me Sir! People working different professions earn different salary – true. Therefore, there is Low/ Middle/High income earner in the society. However, dividing people into class based on their job or personal interest is totally wrong. I am sorry but I respect people for who they are; whether they are doctors or plumbers.
    Honestly, some people needs to weak up and realise that we are living in the 21st century.

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

Booth of your hierarchic flowcharts are slightly incorrect. Only the biggest Polo aficionado knows that:
    Polo = RLPL
    Polo = RLBL
    Polo = RRL
    Polo = Rugby
    Polo = Chaps
    Polo = LRL
    etc.

also, paper copies of newspapers and tokens are for use by old folks (except the occasional Chuck E. Cheese visitor, legally).

11. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  12. NORE

NORE Senior member

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I just got an angry PM from Reev. It saddens me.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:lurk:

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

If I ever walk into that sports bar, I guess there might be fisticuffs.

16. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I think I'll go with this version of the Ralph Lauren hierarchy, it's easy.

17. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I agree they are all 'Polo', but I don't agree that their quality is all equal. You can't say RLPL=LRL, that is pure blasphemy.

18. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Gentlemen,
    the Mercedes Sedans, with the exception of the C-class sport, come with no grille star.

The E-coupe (formerly clk), which Reev pictured, just like all MB coupes, comes with no hood ornament, but a grille star. This goes back to the days of the w126 SECs and before

19. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

The sports bar in Princeton has karaoke every Thursday night... It's funny to see wealthy parents of childhood friends singing Mellencamp. This has nothing to do with the thread.

20. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.