• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cognac vs. scotch

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
So what is a 'Cognac moment' and what is a 'Scotch moment'?
If you don't know.... No, seriously. I expect they would be different for everyone. I don't for instance, come home from work and, with the notion that "I need a drink," go and reach for Cognac. That's scotch's place. I probably will not reach for Scotch when family I love is over for dinner and we are sitting together after the meal, warm in each other's company. If, though, it's just my father and I, then it will be good Scotch. For company of the fairer sex, neither -- Grand Marnier Centenaire. That's what I love about spirits. Every mood is different and there are enough spirits and cocktails to fit the many facets of our experience -- in fact that is probably why there are so many. Within scotch alone my bar has forty distilleries represented and it matters to me whether I feel like the brine of Oban, the spice of Talisker, the caramel smoothness of Lochnagar, or the symphony of Christmas Cake of Mortlach. Life is nuanced.... ~ H

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Thanks -- My cognac knowledge is somewhat limited (its a funds issue), but I know that I tend to love Armagnacs more. They sing to me. I was not familiar with the Quintessence, but will remember it when I need a star cognac in the bar. Murry Mac does some amazing whiskys. If you ever see the Lagavulin Distillery's Edition, you might enjoy that, secondary aging in PX sherry casks. Works well with its intrinsic Islayness. ~ H
I think Quintessence is, at around $300, better than any of the super luxury priced Cognacs from the major houses. I also like Ferrand a lot, and some of his limited bottlings are spectacular. That said, for half the price of Quintessence, you can get an Armagnac from Lustrac that is, perhaps, even better. That is my opinion, probably because I tend to favor Armagnac over cognac. The Darroze bottlings are more expensive, unfortunately.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Where are you located? I just picked a bottle up in SF. Yes, it is the Murray McDavid bottling.

I am in Minnesota, not quite as big a market as SF. Its a very nice Laphroaig, you ought to get a few more while they are still available.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I must choose ... cognac.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Scotch when enjoy a drink before dinner; Cognac after. I don't see how these two can be compared. If I was to decide between the two, scotch no doubt.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think Quintessence is, at around $300, better than any of the super luxury priced Cognacs from the major houses. I also like Ferrand a lot, and some of his limited bottlings are spectacular. That said, for half the price of Quintessence, you can get an Armagnac from Lustrac that is, perhaps, even better. That is my opinion, probably because I tend to favor Armagnac over cognac. The Darroze bottlings are more expensive, unfortunately.
I never go near the 'fancy' Baccarat crystal affairs either. I'm sure some of it is good, but clothing does not cognac make. I have a few Ferrands, but those limited bottlings are very dear indeed. I do believe that I prefer Armagnacs, so I will keep an eye out for Darroze, thanks. ~ H

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
If you don't know....

No, seriously. I expect they would be different for everyone. I don't for instance, come home from work and, with the notion that "I need a drink," go and reach for Cognac. That's scotch's place. I probably will not reach for Scotch when family I love is over for dinner and we are sitting together after the meal, warm in each other's company. If, though, it's just my father and I, then it will be good Scotch. For company of the fairer sex, neither -- Grand Marnier Centenaire.

That's what I love about spirits. Every mood is different and there are enough spirits and cocktails to fit the many facets of our experience -- in fact that is probably why there are so many. Within scotch alone my bar has forty distilleries represented and it matters to me whether I feel like the brine of Oban, the spice of Talisker, the caramel smoothness of Lochnagar, or the symphony of Christmas Cake of Mortlach. Life is nuanced....

~ H

Well said.

... For myself, scotch. Albeit I know very little about cognac. I imagine scotch will forever be my liquor of choice.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manhattans are nice if you're in the mood.

Cognac is for the those celebratory moments after dinner. A lot times you're bullying through straight to the entree or skipping dinner and want to enjoy something soothing. Scotch fills that role.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Scotch when enjoy a drink before dinner; Cognac after. I don't see how these two can be compared. If I was to decide between the two, scotch no doubt.
The single malt Scotch is often reserved for after dinner. Blends ...well, whenever.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't like the bitters.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads