• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cognac: Nothing else like it.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love having a glass of cognac every now and then that the weather is getting colder. I specially enjoy it after a nice dinner. Any other aficionados?

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I tried baiting for cognac advice in just about every drinking related thread. I got nothing. This board appears to be strictly scotch as far as upscale brown liqour goes.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I have tried several but never really got into it. Dunno why. Maybe I'm just not trying the right brands - Hennessy and Pierre Fernand that I can remember, and some armagnac.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
No. I tried baiting for cognac advice in just about every drinking related thread. I got nothing. This board appears to be strictly scotch as far as upscale brown liqour goes.
What? I thought we had threads on it? Tesseron, Ferrand, Gabriel & Andreau, Delamain, and my favorite, Armangac....

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to be an aficianado...haven't tried anything unusual but really like Remey vsop. I'm sure it's nothing great though.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only tried VSOPs and XOs generally and found nothing that blew me away. My local liquor store is huge and has an amazing variety of scotches/whiskeys/rums but only a very small brandy section. Inevitably, I began to acquire a taste for whisk(e)y and haven't turned back since. I'm, of course, always open to recommendations.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just read something elsewhere today about Germain-Robin Cognac. I think it might have been in Will's blog. Anyways, I'm thinking about picking up a bottle of their apple brandy.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PITAronin

Reaction score
Strong endorsement of the Germain-Robin. Over the years I've had several of their bottlings (the XO, the Old Havana, the Shareholders Blend and - if memory serves - a Christmas blend.) All universally excellent.

Kevin

Reaction score
I had a bottle of Claude Chatelier XO that was nice for cold evenings with a very long finish.

Courvoisier XO I found to be to be fairly middle of the road.

Also tried a few VSOPs (Hennesy, Remy, and Camus), but nothing particularly noteworthy there.

I'll take any recommendations, as I'll probably buy a bottle coming through the duty free next month.

A book with nice photos for the cognac fan is Congac: A Liquid History

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the taste, but honestly I find the return curve diminishes sharply starting with VSOP. Hell I'll drink VS, it's just so warming to the soul on a chilly day.

That said, I have had some older Delamain which was very nice.

andyw

Reaction score
....got me. I was looking for a discussion on the shoe leather color.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rum aged in the same manner as cognac is very underrated. Had the fortune to try some. It was amazing.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel Cognac or brandy are definitely the best choices for a flask.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads