• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cognac: Nothing else like it.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I flask some VSOP Armagnac. Honestly, it is pretty smooth and has a good after-taste, but lacks in initial taste.

lermontov

Reaction score
Great addition to coffee.
I find it the most addictive of spirits.
& + 1 to the chap who mentioned the better dark rums. The better Angostora marques are up there with the worst of the XO's and better than all VSOP's IMHO

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Cognac, Armagnac and Calvados when the weather is cold. My favorite Cognacs are Delamain and de Fussigny. I've seen it mentioned in SF before, but certainly single malts get more love here.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I flask Hennessy XO.

Isn't Hennessy a little ghetto for you? After all, they "sing" about it in rap music along with corevoawsiay.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
What? I thought we had threads on it? Tesseron, Ferrand, Gabriel & Andreau, Delamain, and my favorite, Armangac....
Ferrand is my favorite, and not by a little. Next would be Gourmel. I also love a good Armagnac, especially the single vintage Darroze bottlings.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Isn't Hennessy a little ghetto for you? After all, they "sing" about it in rap music along with corevoawsiay.

I had a bottle of it and I didn't really like it so I thought I'd add it to coffee.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Ferrand is my favorite, and not by a little. Next would be Gourmel. I also love a good Armagnac, especially the single vintage Darroze bottlings.

WRT Ferrand, are you talking the $50-70/bottle stuff or the $500+ vintage bottles?

My current supply of brandy is running low and my previous maker of choice is no longer in business so I'm looking to alternatives.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
WRT Ferrand, are you talking the $50-70/bottle stuff or the $500+ vintage bottles?

My current supply of brandy is running low and my previous maker of choice is no longer in business so I'm looking to alternatives.

I think I still have one or two pours left of some vintage stuff. I bought it in '00 or so, and I think it is the '62 vintage. Really great, but probably a once in a lifetime purchase. I think it was like $100 back then. Actually though, I am talking about the normal line, the 20 year in particular. Go to D&M on Sacramento and Fillmore. They have the best selection in the city, and super nice, super knowledgeable staff. I really like the two younger Gourmel bottlings as well.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I find it's a nice addition to coffee sometimes.

I occasionally do the same, but with Cardenal Mendoza brandy.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm down to 1/4 of my last bottle, so thank you for the tip. Sort of an odd location, but not too far from where a friend lives, so I will make an excuse to visit.

And if I can show the requisite restraint until then, perhaps I could bring my bottle, you some Ferrand and we could make our next SF in SF meetup a study of brandies and their relative merits
cheers.gif

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I've never had Cognac, just Greek brandy. Metaxa 7- and 12-star isn't bad, but I honestly don't know the difference between that kind of brandy and "Cognac."

And isn't Pisco a kind of brandy? I like Pisco.

Mbogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Rum aged in the same manner as cognac is very underrated. Had the fortune to try some. It was amazing.

What rums do you recommend to try? I work in the Caribbean quite a bit, and see all sorts of rums, but never know anything about them. I have been getting more curious, though, and would like to try something other than the mass-market stuff.

Thanks!

David

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a glass of Lafite Rothschild in a restaurant and it was probably the best I have ever tasted.

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I feel Cognac or brandy are definitely the best choices for a flask.

Yes, and flask season is upon us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads