1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Coffee Machines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by nightowl6261a, Mar 16, 2006.

1. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Just bought a Jura Compressa Impressa 9, has anyone ever had one, the best damn coffee I have ever had in my life....worth every dime. Comments, anyone have anything comparable and want to tell me the difference.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Dude... Did you seriously just spend over $1500 on an espresso machine???

It better be some GREAT friggin espresso. You are one crazy bastard. I believe I use a Krups six cup drip coffee maker. It's fine by me.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Off topic, I know, but here is my caffeine 'machine' steeping some Shou Mei. I tried some Sencha in it today, yuck! It tasted like I was drinking spinach juice or something. I guess green tea just is not for me, Lord knows I tried. [​IMG] I just love showing off my gaiwan... Anyway, not hijack this thread, is there any certain type of coffee, or way of preparing it for guys with sensitive stomachs? My gut can actually handle just about anything, but one cup of coffee has me running to the bathroom and staying there most of the day.

4. nightowl6261a

Dude... Did you seriously just spend over $1500 on an espresso machine???

It better be some GREAT friggin espresso. You are one crazy bastard. I believe I use a Krups six cup drip coffee maker. It's fine by me.

How much did you think?......OH yeah it really is the best damn coffee I have ever had....think about it, I was spending $15 a day at Starbucks, now....I get it at home twice a day or more....do the math.

5. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I was spending $15 a day at Starbucks
    [​IMG]

6. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

The caffe moka, makes better for 25$.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

How much did you think?......OH yeah it really is the best damn coffee I have ever had....think about it, I was spending $15 a day at Starbucks, now....I get it at home twice a day or more....do the math.

No wonder you felt driven to such depths of desperation, you were drinking Starbuck's coffee... This explains everything.

8. nightowl6261a

Only thing close....ya know?

9. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I picked up a Nespresso machine last year, and while it's really convenient and produces an impressive crema, I only end up using it when I'm really lazy. I don't believe the quality of Nespresso's coffee to be as good as either Illy or Kimbo, my favorites.

Ironically, my my best cup is from the €2 macchinetta (stainless steel stovetop job) that I picked up at IKEA. [​IMG]

10. minya

minya Senior member

Off topic, I know, but here is my caffeine 'machine' steeping some Shou Mei.
    I tried some Sencha in it today, yuck! It tasted like I was drinking spinach juice or something. I guess green tea just is not for me, Lord knows I tried.

Anyway, not hijack this thread, is there any certain type of coffee, or way of preparing it for guys with sensitive stomachs? My gut can actually handle just about anything, but one cup of coffee has me running to the bathroom and staying there most of the day.

I'm with you. I really, REALLY don't like sencha. It tastes like algae. How it masquerades as a "premium" tea is beyond me. Whatever.

BTW, I was just like you (coffee gave me the shits) until I started drinking it more often. Now I'm acclimatized. [​IMG]

11. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

What kind of coffee do use in your Capresso?

12. nightowl6261a

Gevalia mostly, but there is a special blend from Hawaii that I buy from a broker in Santa Monica that is really good as well, but it is $35 a pound, so I take it a little easy on that.

13. moosy

moosy Senior member

Has anyone tried the Francis Francis?

Illy has a nice deal on it if you subscribe to their coffee program for 4 months.

14. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Chris,
    Let me recommend some freshly-roasted coffee instead of Gevalia. Gevalia sells stale, overpriced, poor-quality coffee. To get better quality you can find a local coffee shop that roasts on premises or order online. The following retailers order high-quality, freshly roasted espresso blends:

Sweet Maria's
    Whatever the Roastmaster's Choice, Espresso of the week is.

Gorilla Coffee in Brooklyn
    Brazil or espresso blend

Peet's
    Major Dickason's or Espresso Forte

You don't really have to spend $35 to buy Kona, especially since Kona does not show it's character well in espresso.

Hope this information helps you enjoy your new machine more.

Dimitry

15. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

Surprised that you aren't supporting the home team. I've had nothing but good experiences with the coffees on offer at Atlanta's own J. Martinez and Company.

16. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Moosy,

The Francis,Francis X5 is an average machine. If you normally drink Illy coffee then the $400 for the machine and 16 8.8ozs cans may be a good deal for you. Illy coffee is decent quality but you can do better by buying freshly roasted coffee I preached about above.
    Coffee is considered fresh for 7-10 days after roasting provided it is not ground. As soon as you grind it, it goes stale within a few hours.
    The package deal at Illy's does not include a grinder which is more important for the quality of the espresso than the espresso machine itself. You can order the coffee from Illy pre-ground which may be convenient and save you from buying a grinder but you will further compromise on the quality of the espresso produced.

Still, it must be said that Francis x5 with canned preground Illy will produce better espresso than found in 90% of coffee houses like $tarbucks, etc.

Dimitry

17. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Surprised that you aren't supporting the home team. I've had nothing but good experiences with the coffees on offer at Atlanta's own J. Martinez and Company.

Same thought, but I was thinking Cafe Campesino instead of Martinez, though the only Atlanta store in which I've seen it is Sevenanda in Little Five.

I personally much prefer Julius Meinl and buy their coffees almost exclusively, but in a pinch there are several drinkable CC blends. Also, the stuff that West Egg in Midtown sells - I don't remember the name, but the roaster is down the street - is decent if hardly melange-grade.

18. nightowl6261a

Where are they located? Would love to try some!

19. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Just bought a Jura Compressa Impressa 9, has anyone ever had one, the best damn coffee I have ever had in my life....worth every dime. Comments, anyone have anything comparable and want to tell me the difference.

Could not agree more. I got a Z5 a few months ago. Great machine and better espressos than my favorite barrista made. It is perfect every time.

Aus_MD

20. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Gevalia mostly, but there is a special blend from Hawaii that I buy from a broker in Santa Monica that is really good as well, but it is $35 a pound, so I take it a little easy on that.
    I went for the Gevalia thing a few months ago and I'm slowly trying out their wares... any recommendations? I did like quite a bit the "Cafe Greco" they have (ed. I use either a machine or a french press).