1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Coffee Grinder

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by otc, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

Well, it's not like other brew methods don't benefit from this as well. But my concern is no longer the grinder, but the coffee itself, and at what point it no longer matters, given your tight budget. You say you don't use "super high quality" coffee. Not sure what that means. "Good" coffee will have three attributes....good quality green beans to start (single varietal or blend)...it's roasted properly...and of course, being fresh.

Let's worry about the "fresh" part. If you are buying beans from your source that are fresh roasted (as in roasted within a week of purchasing), then I'd say it's worth getting whatever grinder you can get your hands on....freshly brewed, freshly grinded, freshly roasted beans will always taste better no matter the quality of the bean and roast or the grinder.

If you are buying "stale" beans, then it really doesn't matter so much....grinding a stale bean isn't really an improvement over just buying the already stale pre-ground....it's all stale.

Know what I mean?

My preferred method of brewing (besides espresso) is a simple pour-over directly into the cup. No need for a brewing machine at all....just a $2 plastic #2 cone and grind enough beans for each cup. It actually takes less time than waiting for a drip machine to brew a "pot", and having the second cup done this way tastes much better than using the stuff that's been sitting in the pot.

Listen to this man.

Also, if you want to buy a new grinder $100 really is about the lowest you can go for a burr grinder. If you're unable to spend that amount or if you simply don't want to, you'll have to resort to 2nd hand grinders.

2. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

[...]
    I don't know about this.

I know burr grinders are the default answer about what kind of coffee grinders to get, but does it make that big of a difference for drip coffee? For espresso, you can make the argument that the grinder is just as important as the espresso machine. And, good grinders are needed for french press although not as vital as they are for espresso.

But, with drip coffee, doesn't the filter make the burr grinder less necessary? And, for something like a Chemex and their special filters, then a burr grinder would be even less important.

I can certainly understand why you would think that, but the big problem with having both large and small coffee grounds, apart from creating an impenetrable puck in espresso machines, is that these grounds will extract at different rates, resulting in overextracted components (the smaller grounds), grounds that are extracted nicely (the medium-sized grounds) and underextracted components (the larger-sized grounds). The result is a cup that inhibits both acidic and bitter tastes in addition to the yummy tastes you want.

An even ground will prevent that from happening since the coffee will extract at the same rate.

3. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

If it has the same guts as Baratza's more expensive models, then that may or may not be a good thing depending on your point of view.

I scored a Baratza Virtuoso for a fantastic bargain, but I'm already having second thoughts and seriously considering returning it because of the reviews I've read about it.

When you look at the reviews about it, there's a lot of disappointed owners who aren't happy with the durability of the Baratza Virtuoso- parts start falling off pretty quickly, and the machine breaks down a lot.

The Baratza is the Rowenta Iron of Coffee Grinders- a high priced tool that's great when things are good but all too often breaks down only a short amount of time.

I have a Vario and aside from a small adjustment I needed to make on Day 1 (tightening a small screw), it has been great. I wouldn't condemn the name because of your Virtuoso.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

nice thread necro

fwiw i got an upgraded kyocera mill from orphan esporesso and it's fantastic. really love it

5. arced

arced Senior member

+1 on craigslist

I got my Pasquini Moka on craigslist for $75 and I love it. I'd recommend you do a countrywide search on craigslist for a grinder. I did that and found a restaurant that was giving up on espresso, so it was selling off its grinder. They took a cc over the phone and ups'ed it to me.

Also, I agree with everyone that a quality grinder is a great investment. Cheap'ing out just doesn't make sense in the long term.

6. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

I got by with a Black and Decker $30 burr grinder from Target. Broke down twice in 18 months and got replaced under warranty.

Recently upgraded to an Ascaso i-Mini which was $285 from http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ and the difference for espresso is very noticeable. Still keep the Black and Decker for coarse grind though.

If you're just grinding for drip coffee/french press then a cheap burr grinder is fine. For espresso, it's worth saving up for a decent grinder.

7. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

If you are making 1 serving per day and you have no money, you should get this:

[​IMG]

Hario Mini Mill. About $35

8. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

9. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Try Braun, Got mine in 1989 and its still running. I think they are about 50-70 bucks.

10. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

If you are making 1 serving per day and you have no money, you should get this:

[​IMG]

Hario Mini Mill. About $35

I have this. It is great.

You can adjust the grind size, etc...

11. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I agree. Also, you can completely dismantle it to clean, which I just figured out how to do (hadn't really tried). You'll immediately notice a difference in taste if you've been using a dirty one for a while. Plus, the ability to disassemble leaves you completely sure that every sq mm of the thing is clean. There's a spring in there you'll want to be careful not to lose, though.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i've heard the grinds aren't very uniform and at appropriate settings are not suitable to french press

regardless of what grinder you use, i looove my freshly ground coffee in the morning. don't ever want to buy coffee at my school again.

i think i might invest in a chemex someday to see how different it tastes

13. arced

arced Senior member

i think i might invest in a chemex someday to see how different it tastes

I love my Chemex, simple, easy, and delicious[​IMG]

14. pebblegrain

don't believe the hype. Chemex will not taste noticeably different than a drip cone with 2 papers. [​IMG]

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

Get an Aeropress. Cheap, easy to use and clean, and it produces really very fine coffee, though not very much of it. I use a Coava metal filter on mine, too, mostly so I don't have to throw away paper filters.

FWIW, the hipster coffee nerds who run a local coffee shop really like the Hario. They claim it is the best grinder you can buy for under $200.

--Andre

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Get an Aeropress. Cheap, easy to use and clean, and it produces really very fine coffee, though not very much of it. I use a Coava metal filter on mine, too, mostly so I don't have to throw away paper filters.

FWIW, the hipster coffee nerds who run a local coffee shop really like the Hario. They claim it is the best grinder you can buy for under $200.

--Andre

harios are definitely not the best grinder for under 200.

also proper drip coffees (proper temperature water, proper careful bloom, proper timing whether with chemex or not) are i think the best way to make coffee out there. i just dont have time in the morning to be doing it

17. pebblegrain

I like mine. It's definitely worth the effort for 1-2 cups. I would upgrade if I needed to regularly make more coffee than that, however.

The only drawback is the plastic container which creates a bit of static.

If someone can find a glass jar which fits this, you would be the man (a mason jar reportedly fits the Skerton version).

18. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

I like mine. It's definitely worth the effort for 1-2 cups. I would upgrade if I needed to regularly make more coffee than that, however.

The only drawback is the plastic container which creates a bit of static.

If someone can find a glass jar which fits this, you would be the man (a mason jar reportedly fits the Skerton version).

I actually have a slightly different model of Hario (than the one shown). It has a glass jar.... not plastic

This is the one that I have....

http://www.gimmecoffee.com/Hario-Ske...der-P82C7.aspx

19. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

don't believe the hype. Chemex will not taste noticeably different than a drip cone with 2 papers. [​IMG]

If you can't taste the difference between an average drip machine and a chemex, you are doing something wrong.

20. A Y

A Y Senior member

harios are definitely not the best grinder for under 200.

also proper drip coffees (proper temperature water, proper careful bloom, proper timing whether with chemex or not) are i think the best way to make coffee out there. i just dont have time in the morning to be doing it

Which grinder do you like under $200?

How easy is it to be consistent with the drip styles? One of the great things about the Aeropress is that you can consistently produce good coffee with it if you follow a few simple rules.

--Andre