Cocktail office party @ swanky lounge - is my outfit ok?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by liquidskin, Jun 21, 2010.

1. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

Hey all,

I got a new job a few months ago in NYC and there's going to be a summer party in a few days at a hip rooftop place in the city. While I havent been able to get a solid answer about the dress code (didnt say on the invite and the guy I asked didnt seem to care...) I'm thinking I should dress a bit more special than a regular day.

A suit is probably too much, so I though a blazer might work. Problem is I dont have a blazer, I only have the navy suit I interviewed in. Did a little bit of reading and found out that the suit jacket might be passable to wear as a blazer. It's navy and according to the label, 100% wool. I paired it with some charcoal pants and my girlfriend picked a shirt. For the record, I'm 24 and work for a financial firm. Would this outfit be appropriate? FYI, my fashion sense isnt the best so go easy on me! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got a bunch more shirts, so if another color would be better I might be able to fix that... If the jacket is plain wrong, I'm going to have to go searching after work tomorrow... the party is Thursday. $150 or so would be as high as I could spend, so if anyone would want to reccomend something that'd be great.

Thanks so much

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

French cuffed shirt, white spread collar. Worn without a tie. Navy suit and black shoes.

3. viator

viator Senior member

I would suggest lighter colored pants and shirt if you want to make the jacket work.

4. Requiem

Requiem Senior member

Take the full navy suit you already own (the jacket/trousers combo is not bad, but the full suit is better) and spend the money in a good slim fit white dress shirt. Wear with no tie and your best shoes.
    At the party, forget about what you're wearing and just have fun.

5. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

I would suggest lighter colored pants and shirt if you want to make the jacket work.

advice taken... what do you think?

[​IMG]

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

^ works. I'm sure thats fine, I'd honestly prefer a suit but thats me.

7. Requiem

Requiem Senior member

That's good.
    If you want to take it another step up and think you can pull it of, get a silk patterned pocket square (in some not too dark, neither too dashing colour - some light blue pattern would be nice)and stuff it into the jacket's pocket. Just make sure you'll not spend the night looking down at it or adjusting it.

8. Steeze

Steeze Senior member

That jacket could fit a lot better. I agree with the above posters that it would look better as a full suit with a white dress shirt.

Most people at the party will probably be wearing dark straight fit jeans with a tucked in button down and a blazer. This can look great especially if the blazer is very fitted and shorter than a suit blazer, but this one obviously isn't. A good casual blazer is hard to find.

9. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Yes the switch is a lot better, the first shirt is ok but not appropriate for such an event but I do like the second outfit you have selected.

10. landshark

landshark Senior member

If you have a dressier belt, try wearing that. Try a pocketsquare too if you think you can get away with it. In the future (or now, if you can find a quick alterationist or tailor) take up the sleeve length a bit. A blazer with no shirt cuff makes me [​IMG] .

11. epa

epa Senior member

French cuffed shirt, white spread collar. Worn without a tie. Navy suit and black shoes.

Frenched cuffed shirt without a tie? Sounds a bit bizarre to me.

12. tshaw

tshaw Senior member

That jacket could fit a lot better. I agree with the above posters that it would look better as a full suit with a white dress shirt. and your best black shoes and dark socks.

I agree with this statement! (SSSSHH! If you don't have finances yet for a silk PS, use another white hanky in the pocket and don't play with it at the party!) [​IMG]

T

13. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. While the pocket square sounds nice, not sure id be comfortable using this event as a debut for that. I'll definitely keep my eyes open to see if anyone else is sporting them.

The reason I didn't want to try a white shirt is because this party is straight after work and I can just slip the jacket over the light blue shirt and be on my way. I would probably never wear a white shirt by itself to work and I don't want to wear the jacket all day.

With that said, my plan is to wear the 2nd outfit as is... unless there's anyone out there that thinks its not going to work.

Thanks!

14. epa

epa Senior member

Thanks for the replies everyone. While the pocket square sounds nice, not sure id be comfortable using this event as a debut for that. I'll definitely keep my eyes open to see if anyone else is sporting them.

The reason I didn't want to try a white shirt is because this party is straight after work and I can just slip the jacket over the light blue shirt and be on my way. I would probably never wear a white shirt by itself to work and I don't want to wear the jacket all day.

With that said, my plan is to wear the 2nd outfit as is... unless there's anyone out there that thinks its not going to work.

Thanks!

I understand your concerns about the PS. Depending on where you are, a PS may certainly call attention. I once wore one on a similar occasion, and got a lot of comments on it. It will attract attention to your outfit, and you may not wish to attract attention to your cloathing unless you are very comfortable with it. I have the feeling from what you have said that you just want to "fit in" as well as possible (as far as dress code is concerned), using what you have and without spending money on new things. If so, I would stay away from the PS. But, of course, PS may send different signals around here (in Spain) than where you are.

15. Yika

Yika Senior member