• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobbler Union - Bespoke-Inspired, Small-Batch, Luxury Men's Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this line of thinking is the path to madness. All three of these make essentially an equivalent product from a technical standpoint unless you really want to split hairs. I have shoes from all three and if you didn't tell me who had made what, I probably wouldn't be able to tell just from looking at the stitching, leather, etc. Probably better to just go with the one that comes in a last that fits you, and in a design that you like. I like to recommend CU to people because they 1. make a few classic styles on multiple lasts so that my friends are more likely to find a good fit in a good style, 2. have a lot of stuff in museum calf which I personally like, and 3. have as part of their lineup the Robert, a true Balmoral style oxford for us purists, which hardly anyone makes RTW.
You can tell AE pretty easily from the other three on stitch density alone

Beautiful pair! I’m a little more partial to their City and Louvre lasts because I’m a bit of a sucker for the beveled waist even though it serves no functional purpose! I wish it were a more standard feature across all their leather bottomed shoes.

City is the best last I think. I love louvre, but city is just so nice. I can't wait for my MTO Alex to come in on city.

Adhazem

Reaction score

City is the best last I think. I love louvre, but city is just so nice. I can't wait for my MTO Alex to come in on city.

City is my favorite too. ?

Daniel__G

Reaction score
I was almost ready to buy Robert on the EU site, but looks like my size is sold out. Does anyone know if the refills happen often? Also, in terms of sizing, how do they compare to AE sizing?
Hi!

We'd be happy to check if there is a pair nearing completion soon. We also offer a Pre-Order option. We'll send you a private message through Style Forum to get more details on the size and color you're after.
Forum members already gave you an idea on sizing, it is comparable to AE but depends on the particular last and if you're a Medium D width or wider.

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

AE is a $200 shoe masquerading as a $400 one these days and have taken themselves out of the competition for all intents and purposes. I meant CU vs the ones that actually deserve to be at this price point, e.g. Carmina, CJ, etc. Those are much harder for me to distinguish from each other. The red quited footbeds in CU help a little bit though :D :D :D even though they turned all my cream colored socks red.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE is a $200 shoe masquerading as a $400 one these days and have taken themselves out of the competition for all intents and purposes. I meant CU vs the ones that actually deserve to be at this price point, e.g. Carmina, CJ, etc. Those are much harder for me to distinguish from each other. The red quited footbeds in CU help a little bit though :D :D :D even though they turned all my cream colored socks red.
That certainly makes a bit more sense. I feel like for me these are different market segments--but I belong in both. CU and Carmina are rather similar in fashion. Carmina has a broader selection, but CU has some very unqiue pieces and offers a much lower price. I wear orthotics, and so the footbeds do nothing for me. To me, CJ is a very different product because it is more UK/England fashion vs. European modern.

I buy AE for casual shoes and boots. None of the other players have a Park City boot. CU offers some good sneakers (and I have two pairs), but nobody offers the lightweight resoleable sneaker with high-quality uppers (PA or Strand sneaker) that AE has. I also buy AE for trunk shows or unique shoes.

noobanker

Reaction score

Sadly true.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That certainly makes a bit more sense. I feel like for me these are different market segments--but I belong in both. CU and Carmina are rather similar in fashion. Carmina has a broader selection, but CU has some very unqiue pieces and offers a much lower price. I wear orthotics, and so the footbeds do nothing for me. To me, CJ is a very different product because it is more UK/England fashion vs. European modern.

I buy AE for casual shoes and boots. None of the other players have a Park City boot. CU offers some good sneakers (and I have two pairs), but nobody offers the lightweight resoleable sneaker with high-quality uppers (PA or Strand sneaker) that AE has. I also buy AE for trunk shows or unique shoes.

What insertsdo you use? Had to start wearing them because I will now get searing pain in the balls of my feet with many dress shoes. I have the Gilber-Museum Brown-Louvre and at the end of the day yesterday the Dr. Scholls were REALLY making things uncomy. I have narrow feet, too.

ducatiti

Reaction score
Is it me but does AE feel a bit more thick and smooth to the touch? Grain is more visible up close on the AE but with more blemishes for sure, but then again the leather on my CU is very similar to my C&J's but a littler softer on the C&J, so I'm confused lol. Just my .02

How does the CU leather compare to your Meermin's? Don't have any so I can't compare and only have Carmina in Shell.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What insertsdo you use? Had to start wearing them because I will now get searing pain in the balls of my feet with many dress shoes. I have the Gilber-Museum Brown-Louvre and at the end of the day yesterday the Dr. Scholls were REALLY making things uncomy. I have narrow feet, too.

I have easily 20 orthotics now. For dress shoes, I can only use prescription orthotics specifically made for dress shoes. They are rigid and go from heel to not even the ball of the foot. The ones I get have been shaved underneath and are nearly flat in the heel cup so that they don't move the foot much forward in the shoe or cause foot width to increase and mess up fit. For sneakers, I found that Upstep are the best--full-length and replace the insole. For some larger boots, i can use upstep or prescription orthotics that do affect the foot geometry and size, since boots are more forgiving on that.

Daniel__G

Reaction score
I'm curious what the make specifications are for CU shoes? Hand lasted? Soles? Etc.

Also some suede shoes state Janus and others only mention CF Stead. Are they all Janus or just some?
Just a look at each model web page will solve most of your questions. As CU uses different types and kinds of leathers, soles, and finishings on their wide range of boots and shoes, it can't be general information. Some suede is Janus from C.F. Stead, but it can be from a different origin: each model web page will tell you what applies to each model.

Every model will state: their type of construction, last used, kind of leather and soles, as they do with the following example:

Actually all our suede shoes are made from Charles F. Stead Janus suede. We are currently in the process of updating the information on our website so that all details are up-to-date and visible on every product page.
Do let us know if you have any more questions about our leathers. We'll be happy to answer.

Regards from the CU Team!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cobbler Union Alex uR in cognac grain.

And a little unboxing video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics