• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobbler Union - Bespoke-Inspired, Small-Batch, Luxury Men's Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosomax

Reaction score
Just checked out with another great deal $199.. Probably only a few pairs left of size 10.5 and 11

https://www.cobbler-union.com/products/richard-cognac-calf-371?variant=30176934658138
I ordered these, too, they look fantastic, and what a deal!

rosomax

Reaction score
What size? i’ve had problems before of which they could not ship as online inventory was incorrect. They made it right though.
I ordered 8.5UK which corresponds to 9.5US. The shoes have not arrived yet, but I hope there are no issues. It's great to know the company is committed to making things right though.

ducatiti

Reaction score
I ordered 8.5UK which corresponds to 9.5US. The shoes have not arrived yet, but I hope there are no issues. It's great to know the company is committed to making things right though.

Yep. I ordered them last night. They shipped it out today, whew :)

I have a handful of Carmina’s and feel that CU is a level up, and two from AE. Would you agree with me? The stitching and welt joints on my CU’s are even better than some of my C&J’s.

I wonder why CU doesn’t much love as TLB. Perhaps a name change would help? :)

rosomax

Reaction score
Yep. I ordered them last night. They shipped it out today, whew :)

I have a handful of Carmina’s and feel that CU is a level up, and two from AE. Would you agree with me? The stitching and welt joints on my CU’s are even better than some of my C&J’s.

I wonder why CU doesn’t much love as TLB. Perhaps a name change would help? :)

Mine still have not arrived, but when they do, I'll compare them with my Carmina oxfords (only have 1 pair of those) and see. Can't wait now! :)
I actually like the name, it's unusual and memorable. :)

ducatiti

Reaction score
Mine still have not arrived, but when they do, I'll compare them with my Carmina oxfords (only have 1 pair of those) and see. Can't wait now! :)

Would love to hear your feedback to compare with mine.

Tomc

Reaction score
I'm curious what the make specifications are for CU shoes? Hand lasted? Soles? Etc.

Also some suede shoes state Janus and others only mention CF Stead. Are they all Janus or just some?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what the make specifications are for CU shoes? Hand lasted? Soles? Etc.

Also some suede shoes state Janus and others only mention CF Stead. Are they all Janus or just some?
Just a look at each model web page will solve most of your questions. As CU uses different types and kinds of leathers, soles, and finishings on their wide range of boots and shoes, it can't be general information. Some suede is Janus from C.F. Stead, but it can be from a different origin: each model web page will tell you what applies to each model.

Every model will state: their type of construction, last used, kind of leather and soles, as they do with the following example:

Info Norwegian.jpg

Info Cobbler.jpg

ducatiti

Reaction score

Any updates?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

I think this line of thinking is the path to madness. All three of these make essentially an equivalent product from a technical standpoint unless you really want to split hairs. I have shoes from all three and if you didn't tell me who had made what, I probably wouldn't be able to tell just from looking at the stitching, leather, etc. Probably better to just go with the one that comes in a last that fits you, and in a design that you like. I like to recommend CU to people because they 1. make a few classic styles on multiple lasts so that my friends are more likely to find a good fit in a good style, 2. have a lot of stuff in museum calf which I personally like, and 3. have as part of their lineup the Robert, a true Balmoral style oxford for us purists, which hardly anyone makes RTW.

rosomax

Reaction score
Any updates?
Well, turns out they caught a small issue at the inspection stage and reached out to see if I still wanted the shoes. Wow. Considering how minor the issue was, this is exceptional customer service. I elected to proceed anyway and they shipped them to me yesterday. Should arrive next week sometime.

Adhazem

Reaction score
I think this line of thinking is the path to madness. All three of these make essentially an equivalent product from a technical standpoint unless you really want to split hairs. I have shoes from all three and if you didn't tell me who had made what, I probably wouldn't be able to tell just from looking at the stitching, leather, etc. Probably better to just go with the one that comes in a last that fits you, and in a design that you like. I like to recommend CU to people because they 1. make a few classic styles on multiple lasts so that my friends are more likely to find a good fit in a good style, 2. have a lot of stuff in museum calf which I personally like, and 3. have as part of their lineup the Robert, a true Balmoral style oxford for us purists, which hardly anyone makes RTW.

My own personal experience shows CU to be significantly more consistent with QC than AE of late. I’ve sent back shoes to CU, I think once out of 6 purchases last year. They were accommodating. And I got my replacement right away. With AE I’ve sent back 5 out of 7 purchases. One instance AE sent me a pair with punctures in the uppers and when I sent it back and got a replacement 2 months later it was the same pairs still With punctures on the upper. This is factory first. My shell cordovan was mis lasted with frayed sole stitching for a brand new MTO shoe. The nightmare started after I sent them back I wouldn’t get my refund or any customer service on the phone and had to contest my charge with my credit card. CU will bend over backwards to make me happy including throwing freebies to make it up to me for “inconvenience”.

Both are made in big factories and in the same price segment yet CU is a much smaller company that is truly trying to win and keep customers. For AE I feel like I’m customer serial number 456789 if that makes any sense.

Again that’s just my personal experience and I’m sure others can agree or disagree depending on their experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads