• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobbler Union - Bespoke-Inspired, Small-Batch, Luxury Men's Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miquel.
IMG_4444.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the 888 runs a lot bigger. I have a foot that teeters slightly on the wide side, somewhere between 10D/E US on the Brannock. The 65 last in 10E is a bit loose in the toe but snug everywhere else. In 10D it's too snug to downright uncomfortable everywhere, and the laces cannot come close to closing. I'm a regular 10D in most other brands, or a 9UK for the ones that use UK sizes, in whatever they call their medium width (F for English, EE for Spanish).

On the 888, on a 9.5 US, there's plenty of room in the toe and the instep is very high, so that in the mornings, it still felt too loose even when the v-gap was pulled closed all the way; I ended up putting a pad under the tongue to eat up the bit of extra space. In my specific case it might have been worthwhile to even try a full size down, though I suppose that might risk making it too short.

Any idea whether the very large sizing is due to an error in manufacturing or is it by design?

ducatiti

Reaction score
So I held back in the past to purchase anything in museum calf, but finally pulled the trigger for the cognac museum cognac adelaide on sale and never looked back. Quality and craftsmanship are heaps above AE. CU is very comparable to my CJ’s in my humble opinion. These are only my second pair of CU’s being the brown suede cap toe as my first. If I can do it over again, I would have passed on all the AE’s I’ve purchased.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures but here they are out of the box.

6A5D73D6-8294-416F-AFF3-F099A4463B98.jpeg

After 45 minutes or so of conditioning and polishing. To be honest, they were already OK out of the box.
7E10DAB0-FB1A-4A00-8BB2-9BF189951D8D.jpeg
DA839CAD-AB5D-4775-8F09-7A1D1B947C8E.jpeg

Daniel__G

Reaction score
Any idea whether the very large sizing is due to an error in manufacturing or is it by design?

Dear taxgenius, please allow us to give you some insight regarding your question.

The large sizing is by design. 888 last is well suited to those looking for a roomier fit and we found that most of our customers buying from us had to go half-size down on any model built on this last.

Having said that we are bringing the new 358 last into our collection which, after some time of gathering customer feedback on fit, will replace the 888 and fit true to size. We are transitioning all our non true to size lasts to true to size. We expect it will make it easier for our first time customers to buy from us.

This is why most of our 888 models are now part of the Last Call collection.

Here you can see the brand new Charles on the 358 last.

Keep your eyes peeled over the next few weeks for new additions!

Daniel__G

Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

As we spend time with our families, we want to take a moment to wish you a very wonderful holiday!

Push---Windows-Hero-Image-BOOTS20.png

Now, sneak away for some peace and quiet to enjoy 20% off any full price boots.

USE CODE:
BOOT20GIFT

USE CODE AT CHECKOUT TO SAVE 20%

Have a merry christmas and a wonderful new year!

The Cobbler Union Family

juggzz

Reaction score
Hi Bryan. I have not forgotten about you. I had a minor injury recently that has slowed me down and I am trying to get back up to full speed. I have been through quite an ordeal to find a black wholecut shoe that meets my standards. I have taken many pictures and documented my process in trying 5 different black wholecut shoes from 4 different shoe makers. I think my I may soon be receiving some black wholecuts that will fullfill my goal. I will update you when this process is completed.

Cheers,
Rus

This is a bit of a long shot since this was so long ago. Did you ever get around to comparing these, and if so what did you end up liking? Any pics comparing them?

ruscle298

Reaction score
This is a bit of a long shot since this was so long ago. Did you ever get around to comparing these, and if so what did you end up liking? Any pics comparing them?

Sorry about the long delay. I finished the comparison. I also took pictures. Then Covid and other health issues derailed me from following through on the completion of posting my review and pictures. It is still on my to do list, just waiting for my health and things to get back to normal.

juggzz

Reaction score
Sorry about the long delay. I finished the comparison. I also took pictures. Then Covid and other health issues derailed me from following through on the completion of posting my review and pictures. It is still on my to do list, just waiting for my health and things to get back to normal.
I hope you feel better :)

ducatiti

Reaction score
Just checked out with another great deal $199.. Probably only a few pairs left of size 10.5 and 11

https://www.cobbler-union.com/products/richard-cognac-calf-371?variant=30176934658138

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads