• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobbler Union - Bespoke-Inspired, Small-Batch, Luxury Men's Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity - could u elaborate
During Amazon Prime Day, Kirby sent an email out to subscribers first telling people not shop at Amazon for shoe products and telling them of his own Prime Day sale. Well, “Prime Day” is a registered trademark of Amazon, and using it without permission for an online sale of your own is a willful violation and shows dishonesty.

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
He has a lot of good info, but he is a trademark violator. I can’t support him anymore.
He’s always got beef with Amazon, lmao. Truthfully, if I really want saphir product, I’d rather buy them from European retailers who got much better price.

soto_nw

Reaction score
I think buying Saphir from Cobble Union is a good choice, though unfortunately they don't offer all colors of cream or wax.

I don't know that I'd call Kirby a "trademark violator" or not shop from him because of his Prime Day sale. Everyone is free to do what they'd like, but plenty of other companies also had sales, Pierre Henry even called their a Prime Prime Day.

Kirby's crime was lack of originality - but not misleading, it was a sale and no one was going to confuse his products with amazon's offering. I'm going to have little sympathy for a company the size of Amazon. I like his content, and he has some good products, don't get me wrong I think there'd be good reasons to not shop there, but as the kids say "it's not that deep" (anyone feel free to PM me).

With that said, I think we should focus on @Cobbler Union, their wonderful products, and great customer service.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think buying Saphir from Cobble Union is a good choice, though unfortunately they don't offer all colors of cream or wax.

I don't know that I'd call Kirby a "trademark violator" or not shop from him because of his Prime Day sale. Everyone is free to do what they'd like, but plenty of other companies also had sales, Pierre Henry even called their a Prime Prime Day.

Kirby's crime was lack of originality - but not misleading, it was a sale and no one was going to confuse his products with amazon's offering. I'm going to have little sympathy for a company the size of Amazon. I like his content, and he has some good products, don't get me wrong I think there'd be good reasons to not shop there, but as the kids say "it's not that deep" (anyone feel free to PM me).

With that said, I think we should focus on @Cobbler Union, their wonderful products, and great customer service.
It’s even better with the 25% CU lifetime discount

Oh, and it is more than a crime of lack of originality. It’s actually a protected term backed by law: https://www.mixdexhq.com/shopify/caution-prime-day-is-a-trademark/

soto_nw

Reaction score
It’s even better with the 25% CU lifetime discount

Oh, and it is more than a crime of lack of originality. It’s actually a protected term backed by law: https://www.mixdexhq.com/shopify/caution-prime-day-is-a-trademark/

I understand the trademark, what I am saying is that it does not appear to be misleading or that big a deal, at least to me. It's sort of like the NFL's trademark on Super Bowl, or any number of similar trademarks. Or how Rolex used trademark recently to stop a company that was doing aftermarket dial changes (and, the customization retailer, was transparent about their process). I don't find trademark disputes so black and white, but if you, or anyone else, does that's fine.

As I said, if that's a good enough reason for you to stop supporting him, then that is your choice and I can respect that. AND Cobbler Union is a great place to pick up shoe care products.

I'm not here to defend Kirby (I can give reasons to buy from him, and not to buy from him), it just seemed like an interesting perspective to me (again anyone can DM me, because I would like to avoid derailing this thread).

I was merely offering a different perspective (to me, specifically, it does not seem like that big of a deal) and context (I'm not sure someone would confuse Amazon with Kirby, or vice versa, and Amazon is plenty profitable). One can agree to disagree on this - perfectly fine.

What we can, hopefully, agree on is that Cobbler Union is doing good work and offer excellent customer service.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the trademark, what I am saying is that it does not appear to be misleading or that big a deal, at least to me. It's sort of like the NFL's trademark on Super Bowl, or any number of similar trademarks. Or how Rolex used trademark recently to stop a company that was doing aftermarket dial changes (and, the customization retailer, was transparent about their process). I don't find trademark disputes so black and white, but if you, or anyone else, does that's fine.

As I said, if that's a good enough reason for you to stop supporting him, then that is your choice and I can respect that. AND Cobbler Union is a great place to pick up shoe care products.

I'm not here to defend Kirby (I can give reasons to buy from him, and not to buy from him), it just seemed like an interesting perspective to me (again anyone can DM me, because I would like to avoid derailing this thread).

I was merely offering a different perspective (to me, specifically, it does not seem like that big of a deal) and context (I'm not sure someone would confuse Amazon with Kirby, or vice versa, and Amazon is plenty profitable). One can agree to disagree on this - perfectly fine.

What we can, hopefully, agree on is that Cobbler Union is doing good work and offer excellent customer service.
Failure to defend a trademark can result in loss of that trademark. This is why Band-aid started the commercial with lyrics, “I’m stuck on band-aid brand.” The use of the word “brand” was to reinforce that this is a brand, since the term was at risk of being lost as standard use for a bandage. The same thing nearly happened to Kleenex, which almost lost its trademark to colloquial use without defense

Daniel__G

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 12.22.33.png
INTRODUCING THOMAS
THE ORIGINAL TASSEL LOAFER

Here at Cobbler Union, we're looking forward to spring 2021 with the launch of the all-new Thomas tassel loafer.

This loafer represents our unique, more contemporary take on the classic tassel loafer.

And, as a thank you for your pre-order (... and waiting), receive a free matching belt (valued at $145) when you enter code "THOMAS" at checkout. Offer is available while supplies last.

Grab your pair before it's too late - Limited quantities available for pre-order!

Pre order Thomas today

Daniel__G

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 12.22.33.png
INTRODUCING SMITH
THE ORIGINAL PENNY LOAFER

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 11.24.07.png

The all-new Smith is selling out fast with pre-orders coming in from around the world!

We're looking forward into 2021 with the introduction of the newest penny loafer family to the Cobbler Union Collection: the Smith Family.

And, as a thank you for your pre-order (... and waiting), receive a free matching belt (valued at $145) when you enter code "SMITH" at checkout. Offer is available while supplies last.

Grab your pair before it's too late - Limited quantities available for pre-order!

Pre order Smith today

Last edited:

Daniel__G

Reaction score
What's the connection between CU and Norman vilalta?

Thanks for reaching out!

CU founders were part of the development of Norman Vilalta’s first ready-to-wear line previous to venturing into Cobbler Union.

I hope this helps.

Daniel__G

Reaction score

BLACK NOVEMBER BEGINS NOW!

Up To 50% Off Select Styles!

SHOP BLACK FRIDAY TODAY, Sale ends on November 29th, 2020​

86a34e3f-fab7-4a6d-b9c0-7afe97b19ef2.png

Last edited:

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
BUYERS BE AWARE

There is something seriously wrong with Cobbler Union's quality control. To anyone looking to purchase a pair of shoes from Cobbler Union, I think you should know my experience beforehand.

I participated in the Honorary Investor program a while back and still had some gift card balance left. I decided to get a pair of Chelseas, so I made my order on August 23rd. Little did I know what I was getting myself into.

I received the pair on September 10th, and the right boot came with a scuff on the heel. Ugh, that's unfortunate, I thought. I shipped them back for replacement. Since the Ritz last fitted alright, I made another order of a pair of Guillaume balmoral boots. This was on September 11th.

A picture of the scuff. It would be fine if it's on a pair of factory seconds, but not on a pair of firsts.
View attachment 1471563

The pair of "Guillaume" was shipped directly from Spain and received on September 21st. To my surprise, when I opened the box, pulled the boots out of the bags, a pair of beautiful jumper boots in Utah leather appeared in front of me. And, yeah, it came in a totally wrong size as well. That's unfortunate, I thought. So I returned the pair, and Danielle, the customer service rep, promised me a jar of cream as a compensation. Not that the cream would make much of a difference; at least, the attitude is respectable.

View attachment 1471570

Then it came to October 2nd, the day I received my pair of Guillaume in the right leather, the right last, and the right size. How could anything go wrong now? Just as I was attempting to put on the right boot, I heard a little thread tearing, and then, the pull loop snapped right off. I was astonished and speechless. They'll be going to Atlanta tomorrow, and my Chelsea replacement will be delivered, too. Wish me luck, guys.

View attachment 1471572

I hope my disappointing experience is at least entertaining for you. Keep in mind what you might be getting into before ordering your next pair of Cobbler Union.

After two weeks of waiting, it finally comes to the end of this story. Here are the replacements I received from CU today:

CU7.jpg

CU8.jpg

Before these two pairs are made, Daniel, the head of operations of CU, reached out to me and explained to me the quality control process at CU. Alongside the shoe cream and shoe trees he is offering me for compensation, Daniel promised me to do the QC himself and make sure both the clicking and QC processes are of a higher standard in the future. He was confident enough to say that if these replacements still don't make my standards, he'll leave them to me and give my money back.

Upon inspecting these replacements, I have to say I trust what he said. There are no significant blemishes, marks, or loose grains on either of the pair. I would say that the leather is of the same quality as Carmina and the construction is slightly duller in detail but generally well constructed. They are definitely a better bang for the buck. I'm sure they are the last replacements I need to get from CU. Since these replacements are satisfactory, I decided to retract my previous warnings. After all, the COVID pandemic has been difficult for all of us, and I really wish CU make through it well. To whom considering purchasing a pair of CU, I'm hopeful that you won't need to go through what I went through. If you do unfortunately receive an unsatisfactory pair, I'm sure Daniel will take care of it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads