• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobbler Union - Bespoke-Inspired, Small-Batch, Luxury Men's Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Is this your first pair of cu? What other brands have your worn ?

Yes, first pair. I've got many Edward Green, many Lattanzi, many Berluti, Santoni, Jason Amesbury, Lobb, Mephisto, Sperry, New Balance, and Sorel winter boots. :)

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The Robert 888 Oxbloods arrived by UPS today. I must say they are really spectacular. Many thanks Jeremy for the A+ customer service!

image0.jpeg

Sfroide3

Reaction score
The only sad thing is CU slowly going away from fiddleback and beveled waist ... This was one of the thing making them extremely interesting at this price point.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
My understanding is that some models still have the fiddleback.

I am not sure they are going to keep the older models in the long run. They said it was too expensive to produce and also resole because not every cobbler can do a beveled and fiddle back resole. In my opinion, if my cobbler can't do that, I won't let him touch my shoes at all ... I d rather pay shipping to a knowledgeable place. I have their black captoe oxford on the city last. In my opinion it is way sleeker than the new last on which CU produces also a black captoe oxford. We ll see how they decide to play. A lot of companies have different range. They could possibly do a premium grade with the more expensive lasts (maybe had also JR sole) and regular line and little bit cheaper. Because right now I am looking a the two Richard Black captoe oxfords retailing at the same price ... But you got more shoes for the money on the City last than the 371 ...

LThomsen

Reaction score
It might be best to stock up. At under $400 they are a great value. Perhaps an order of 2 , 3 or more pairs....

arturobelano

Reaction score
The Robert 888 Oxbloods arrived by UPS today. I must say they are really spectacular. Many thanks Jeremy for the A+ customer service!

View attachment 1326824

Very nice pair!

I'm just wondering, what is the difference between the city last and the 888?
I mean, I read the descriptions on the CU website, but they are not that helpful given that they seem to be pretty similar (other than the fact that it seems that shoes made on the city last have the fiddle waist sole).

Did you also try on a pair on the city last? If so, why did you choose the 888 over the city?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel__G

Reaction score
The only sad thing is CU slowly going away from fiddleback and beveled waist ... This was one of the thing making them extremely interesting at this price point.

That's a fair point; The fiddleback waist is a feature that sets the shoes apart. We're actually keeping the fiddleback on both our CITY last and LOUVRE last shoes while also offering new lasts that are 270 and 360 goodyear welted. Hopefully this will give our members a few more options.

The 371 and 888 will also likely make the shoes available to a wider range of guys (seeing as they're more generous in the toes than most of our other lasts). Really our goal is for everyone to be able to find a last and style that they can feel comfortable in.

Daniel__G

Reaction score
Very nice pair!

I'm just wondering, what is the difference between the city last and the 888?
I mean, I read the descriptions on the CU website, but they are not that helpful given that they seem to be pretty similar (other than the fact that it seems that shoes made on the city last have the fiddle waist sole).

Did you also try on a pair on the city last? If so, why did you choose the 888 over the city?

Thanks in advance!

Good question! Big differences between the two lasts in overall aesthetic and fit.

The CITY last is a more rounded, elongated almond-shaped last with little taper in the toes. This last sports a 180 goodyear welt with a fiddleback waist.

The 888 last would sport a soft-square toe with a slight taper and chisel in the toe box. It will also feature a 270 goodyear welt without the fiddleback.

Hope this helps!

Daniel__G

Reaction score
As members of StyleForum, each of you are invited to our first Shoe Care Class at Ponce City Market in Atlanta. We'll be going over basic care, from uppers to soles and providing local beer!

We know you gents are pros at this, but we will simultaneously be launching early access to our Winter Sale. We are hoping to see some familiar faces there!

Cheers!

unnamed.png

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to keep my brain busy in times of COVID-19 so is Shoeshine Time!! until quarantine lasts.

Brand: Cobbler Union
Model: Alex (MTO)
Supplier: Cobbler Union
Last: Inman
Colour: Black, red leather quilted linning
Note: I was looking for a longwing not as heavy as the usual "gunboat" (rounded last, double sole); a shoe that could be used with lighter suits (100's / 120's) and CU supplied the solution. The patern is very balanced, something difficult to achive in a LWB. Thank you Daniel.

IMG_7469.JPG
IMG_7470.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG
IMG_7474.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads