• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobbler Union - Bespoke-Inspired, Small-Batch, Luxury Men's Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

soto_nw

Reaction score
Sorry if this is annoying post to some.

I have an odd sizing question. I have a pair of Miquel IV (8 UK) and a pair of Richard VI (8UK). The Miquel IV fits just very well (with no heel slippage) while the Richard VI feels a little roomy, and seem to fit best a 1/2 lower (7.5 UK). I did recently try, a pair of Miquel IVs in 7.5 UK, and though my foot fit they were much more snug (I would describe it as fitting more like a loafer with zero give in heel space). For example, my big toe was not scrunched up against the tip of the shoe, but some of my other toes were grazing the leather a bit. It was not painful, but I was unsure if it would become so after walking around a day in them (as that seems the only to know for sure). I'm also keeping in mind that whole cuts tend to more forgiving anyway which could mean that in other Louvre Lasts it may be better to stick with an 8 UK.

As general background, I wear an 8.5 UK in Carmina's Simpson last (can't go any smaller) and I've been measured as a 9 1/2 US in Allen Edmond's but find 9 US to fit better (low volume foot). I've also put a picture of the Miquel 8 UK (the one on the foot showing the sock) and the Miquel 7.5 UK.

I guess the more general question is (with the understanding that all feet are different), do you commonly see customers sizing down in the City Last, or should I also go down half a size in the Louvre Last?

IMG_4629.jpeg

Daniel__G

Reaction score
Sorry if this is annoying post to some.

I have an odd sizing question. I have a pair of Miquel IV (8 UK) and a pair of Richard VI (8UK). The Miquel IV fits just very well (with no heel slippage) while the Richard VI feels a little roomy, and seem to fit best a 1/2 lower (7.5 UK). I did recently try, a pair of Miquel IVs in 7.5 UK, and though my foot fit they were much more snug (I would describe it as fitting more like a loafer with zero give in heel space). For example, my big toe was not scrunched up against the tip of the shoe, but some of my other toes were grazing the leather a bit. It was not painful, but I was unsure if it would become so after walking around a day in them (as that seems the only to know for sure). I'm also keeping in mind that whole cuts tend to more forgiving anyway which could mean that in other Louvre Lasts it may be better to stick with an 8 UK.

As general background, I wear an 8.5 UK in Carmina's Simpson last (can't go any smaller) and I've been measured as a 9 1/2 US in Allen Edmond's but find 9 US to fit better (low volume foot). I've also put a picture of the Miquel 8 UK (the one on the foot showing the sock) and the Miquel 7.5 UK.

I guess the more general question is (with the understanding that all feet are different), do you commonly see customers sizing down in the City Last, or should I also go down half a size in the Louvre Last?

View attachment 1160625

Hi soto_nw! No odd question and not annoying at all. In fact, thanks for using this channel to ask.

Normally guys size the same in the City Last (RICHARD VI) than the Louvre (MIQUEL IV).

However, some guys size differently in the two lasts; not common but some do. I would stick with the 8UK on the LOUVRE Last models based on no slippage and the way the laces look like in the picture. And, if possible, try 1/2 lower if you buy again a pair of CITY Last pair.

We hope this helps.

Thanks!

Daniel__G

Reaction score

Introducing FRANCIS V

Receive free shoe trees by using code "DOUBLEUP" at checkout. Must add shoe trees to order.

SF exclusive promotion ends Friday, April 26th. Limited quantities available for immediate delivery.

Springtime is here. It's the time of rebirth; the time for renewal. Allow the seasonal theme of regeneration to take a step away from the closet dominated Oxford and into the ever versatile double monk strap. There's nothing wrong with a standard cap-toe, but if you really want to mix things up this season, toss out those laces and buckle into something truly unique.

We are excited to introduce Francis V to our growing monk strap collection. Our newest addition epitomizes out relentless pursuit of simplicity and elegance. They're the simplest way to add a fresh spin to what's happening below your pant hems making the Francis Vthe best move you'll make today.

With Francis V, your possibilities are endless. Take a closer look.

The Francis V features the exquisite museum cognac calfskin sourced
from one of Italy's best tanneries.

One major key element to the modern monk strap is the shape. Mounted on the Louvre last, the Francis offers a uniquely elegant tapered contour with a handsome soft-square toe.

Completed with a hand-painted Italian leather sole, the Francis V's subtle details are truly spectacular. For contrast, the heels and edges are beautifully finished with a a semi-clear stain and emphasized with a "ruleta" welt to highlight the shoes's extraordinary craftsmanship.

To exude perfected luxury, Cobbler Union's exclusive quilted heel cup and burgundy lining complete the hidden details of this extraordinary double monk.

bensm1th

Reaction score
Hi,

I just opened a pair of Jean Pierre IV shoes from Cobbler Union that came in today. I saw you guys on Sartorial Talks and decided to pull the trigger and buy a pair with the Easter sale. My shoes seem to have some imperfections. Are these common? First, there is a some problems with the edge of the sole on the instep:
IMG_2928.JPG

I put the shoes onto my fee on my carpeted living room and literally only walked to my full length mirror, and then walked back to my chair in my living room. I was only trying them on for size, and wore them less time than I would have it if I was trying them in a department store. When I took them off, I noticed these creases all over the shoes:
IMG_5238.JPG

IMG_1803.JPG

I don't think shoes should crease this fast.

Lastly, I noticed that whoever painted the edge of the sole got some of the black paint onto the shoe itself. I sometimes repaint the edge of the soles of my shoes, but I always used a cloth in addition to the dobber so I can wipe off any extra.
IMG_2920.JPG

I am sorry to say that I've gone from excited to disappointed about these shoes. Are these defects normal? Am I being too picky? Are these seconds?

I think I'd like some kind of refund or perhaps an exchange.

IMG_2928.JPG

Daniel__G

Reaction score
Hi,

I just opened a pair of Jean Pierre IV shoes from Cobbler Union that came in today. I saw you guys on Sartorial Talks and decided to pull the trigger and buy a pair with the Easter sale. My shoes seem to have some imperfections. Are these common? First, there is a some problems with the edge of the sole on the instep:
View attachment 1168557

I put the shoes onto my fee on my carpeted living room and literally only walked to my full length mirror, and then walked back to my chair in my living room. I was only trying them on for size, and wore them less time than I would have it if I was trying them in a department store. When I took them off, I noticed these creases all over the shoes:
View attachment 1168563
View attachment 1168564

I don't think shoes should crease this fast.

Lastly, I noticed that whoever painted the edge of the sole got some of the black paint onto the shoe itself. I sometimes repaint the edge of the soles of my shoes, but I always used a cloth in addition to the dobber so I can wipe off any extra.
View attachment 1168565

I am sorry to say that I've gone from excited to disappointed about these shoes. Are these defects normal? Am I being too picky? Are these seconds?

I think I'd like some kind of refund or perhaps an exchange.

View attachment 1168562

Hi Bensm1th!

Thanks for sharing. Some of the 3 defects reported are normal and you are not being too picky.

We will contact you shortly by email and ask couple of questions in order to assess what happened.

Please, take as granted that we will do everything we can to have you excited again. And hopefully satisfied.

Keep you posted.

Thanks,
Daniel

bensm1th

Reaction score
Hi Bensm1th!

Thanks for sharing. Some of the 3 defects reported are normal and you are not being too picky.

We will contact you shortly by email and ask couple of questions in order to assess what happened.

Please, take as granted that we will do everything we can to have you excited again. And hopefully satisfied.

Keep you posted.

Thanks,
Daniel

Thank you Cobbler Union for reaching out to me and resolving this situation. I am again excited to be a customer of Cobbler Union and look forward to buying shoes from them in the future.

Honestly, the quality is much higher than you can get at this price point (about $400) from other places. Great job!

Daniel__G

Reaction score
I am interested in the Miquel II, but wondering if the chisel in this shoe is at all like the chisel of the Cornwallis from AE, where many experience their pinky getting squished after walking in the shoe a bit.

Hi EZB!

Thanks for reaching out and for your interest in Cobbler Union.

While the Miquel II seems to narrow and elongate a bit more than the AE Cornwallis, the louvre last runs a bit wider than the AE collection. We find that AE fits on the more narrow side, where a majority of our collection fits comfortably at a medium width. With the proper size in the Miquel II, the taper of the toe should slightly hug before elongating providing a comfortable fit.

Please, keep in mind, as the shoe breaks in, the leather will only soften and shape to your foot ultimately making the fit even more comfortable.

We hope this helps!

Looking forward to see you joining the Union!

Cheers,
Daniel

unprocessed

Reaction score
I am interested in the Miquel II, but wondering if the chisel in this shoe is at all like the chisel of the Cornwallis from AE, where many experience their pinky getting squished after walking in the shoe a bit.

The Louvre last for the Miquel didn’t fit me, but the City last is very roomy and is far more comfortable than the AE I own.

The CU lasts definitely have an elegance to their shape that AE lacks.

soto_nw

Reaction score

Hi EZB,

I actually have an update from my own post that might help.

Before seeing Cobbler Union’s reply I did order another pair of the Miquel in 7.5 UK/8.5 US and figured if they didn’t fit I could give them to my father (he’s about half a size smaller than me).

I found that it fit like a glove. Comparing it to AE Fifth Avenues in 9 US I’d say that the Louvre Last (like the Miquel) is a bit wider and more forgiving in the instep.

For context I have three pairs of AE: one in 9.5 US (65 Last - Fifth Ave), one in 9 US (65 Last - Fifth Ave), and one in 9 US (108 Last). The laces close almos completely on both 9.5 US (65 Last) and 9 US (108 Last).

I just got the 9 US (65 Last) resoled and the laces are about 1.5 cm apart when tied (they will get closer as my foot sinks into the cork a bit).

I fit 9 US in J Fitzpatrick NGT Last, 8 UK in Meermin Elton Last, and 8.5 UK in Carmina’s Simpson Last.

All that to say that with my foot, I find the 7.5 UK/8.5 US Louvre Last to be snug without any discomfort for my toes. The City Last in the same size does slightly roomier to me, but both are comfortable (Louvre Last just feels like a glove, might be the best fitting shoe I’ve ever owned, although a half size up works just as well for me - just ever so slightly roomier).

Hope that helps.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi EZB,

I actually have an update from my own post that might help.

Before seeing Cobbler Union’s reply I did order another pair of the Miquel in 7.5 UK/8.5 US and figured if they didn’t fit I could give them to my father (he’s about half a size smaller than me).

I found that it fit like a glove. Comparing it to AE Fifth Avenues in 9 US I’d say that the Louvre Last (like the Miquel) is a bit wider and more forgiving in the instep.

For context I have three pairs of AE: one in 9.5 US (65 Last - Fifth Ave), one in 9 US (65 Last - Fifth Ave), and one in 9 US (108 Last). The laces close almos completely on both 9.5 US (65 Last) and 9 US (108 Last).

I just got the 9 US (65 Last) resoled and the laces are about 1.5 cm apart when tied (they will get closer as my foot sinks into the cork a bit).

I fit 9 US in J Fitzpatrick NGT Last, 8 UK in Meermin Elton Last, and 8.5 UK in Carmina’s Simpson Last.

All that to say that with my foot, I find the 7.5 UK/8.5 US Louvre Last to be snug without any discomfort for my toes. The City Last in the same size does slightly roomier to me, but both are comfortable (Louvre Last just feels like a glove, might be the best fitting shoe I’ve ever owned, although a half size up works just as well for me - just ever so slightly roomier).

Hope that helps.
I have super skinny ankles. How are the lasts there?

soto_nw

Reaction score
So if a 10.5D fits me best in the AE 65 last, do you have a size recommendation for Louvre?
So if a 10.5D fits me best in the AE 65 last, do you have a size recommendation for Louvre?

Sorry ahead of time if this has too many pictures.

I don't know that I can say for sure since every foot is different. With that said it depends on if like your shoe snug or not. You can stick with your US 10.5 D/UK 9.5 and it may even feel roomier on the sides, or if you like your shoe more snug go down half a size. In my experience Cobbler Union has really great support staff. They make returns and exchanges really easy and will send you the shipping label (they also tend to ship fairly quickly).

For more context I've also added some pictures so you can get an idea of how the different shoes fit:

Pic 1 is a measure of my ankle (10 inches);
Pic 2 is my Brannock width = 9 D;
Pic 3 is my Brannock size = about a 9.5 US (but as you'll see I actually wear a half size smaller in most shoes);
Pic 4 AE Fifth Ave (65 Last) in 9.5 D US;
Pic 5 Carmina (Simpson Last) in 9.5 D US/8.5 UK;
Pic 6 AE Fifth Ave (65 Last) in 9 D US;
Pic 7 Miquel IV (Louvre Last) in 9 US/8 UK - after a few weeks of wearing them;
Pic 8 Miquel IV (Louvre Last) 8.5 US/7.5 UK - after only 1 wear;
Pic 9 is an ankle shot of my Miquel IV
Pic 10 Vernon Dress Oxford (108 Last) in 9 US
Pic 11 - accidental repeat

IMG_4890.jpeg IMG_4874.jpeg IMG_4875.jpeg IMG_4876.jpeg IMG_4880.jpeg IMG_4883.jpeg IMG_4884.jpeg IMG_4887.jpeg IMG_4892.jpeg

IMG_4874.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads