• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobbler for leather removal?

Verb

Reaction score
Before I bear the brunt of a million shoe enthusiasts, let me note that this is my first pair of dress shoes and it took me forever to find a pair that was fashionable (in a modern runway fashion forward sense) and under $300. When looking online at the shoes, I went to great lengths to ensure that everything was up to snuff but there was a slight bit of excess-looking fabric that caught my eye. Upon receiving the shoes in person, I noticed that this bit of fabric is actually perforated and sticks out a bit from the cap on the toe. Here are pics of the shoe in question, as well as a link to the product page.
lumiani1tg.jpg
lumiani27wl.jpg
I apologize for the poor lighting quality, I recommend that you check the product pics here. As you can see, there is a second layer of leather under the 'captoe' which sticks out a bit. My question is, can a reasonable cobbler remove this piece so the toe doesn't stick up as much, or at least take it apart and cut off the perforations that stick out from underneath the cap? I've called a few stores but they really have no idea what I'm talking about and my small town has no decent cobblers so I have to wait til I go home or ship it off somewhere! Any assistance would be appreciated.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you mean the little tiny tab? Or that extra pinked layer that's between the toe cap and the vamp (more likely)? I think you are stuck with the latter, though I don't think it looks that bad, in the context of the shoe. You might be able to trim it down with a razor so the pinked edge doesn't protrude but you won't be able to remove the layer entirely and restitch it so that the cap is more smooth with the vamp.

Verb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Do you mean the little tiny tab? Or that extra pinked layer that's between the toe cap and the vamp (more likely)? I think you are stuck with the latter, though I don't think it looks that bad, in the context of the shoe. You might be able to trim it down with a razor so the pinked edge doesn't protrude but you won't be able to remove the layer entirely and restitch it so that the cap is more smooth with the vamp.

Thanks J, obviously my shoe terminology pales in comparison. I'll work on my vernacular! You are correct in assuming that I'm worried about the piece between the toe cap/vamp (actual area between the laces and the toe?) I was considering taking a file to it but a razor sounds much more likely. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics