• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Coats with polyester linings?

njeremy

Reaction score
I keep coming across winter coats with polyester linings. Some of them are from quite respectable labels and are otherwise well-constructed. What should I think of these? Will they be breathable? The standard answer is "polyesters have come a long way since the 70's but still aren't as good as natural fibers." I don't own any polyester-lined clothes, so that doesn't really help me. So a few questions:

1) Does anyone have one of these coats? How well does it breathe?

2) Should I get one if I otherwise like the coat?

3) How easily can the lining be replaced if I choose to do so?

Sazerac

Reaction score
I just checked my coats. One of them has a poly lining. It's not bad at all in the winter. In a winter coat, breathability is really only a concern if you're going to be wearing it for a long time at a single stretch or using it for performance related activities. I have never seen a guy in an overcoat on the ski slopes, and I've seen a lot. :)

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you confusing Polyester with Cupro or Rayon? They are two very different things. Do a search on cupro linings and you will find out more.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Yeah, rayon is much different than poly. I have a rayon lining in a Zegna overcoat and it works well. Are you looking at more formal coats or jackets for the slopes?

njeremy

Reaction score
I'm talking about formal coats. I've seen some with rayon, but some are polyester. Is it at all breathable? Is it easy to switch out the lining for something else? How much might a tailor charge to do this?

Sazerac

Reaction score
Honestly, I really wouldn't bother switching it out. As I said, breathability isn't really that much of an issue if you're not wearing them for hours and hours at a time and not doing anything really strenuous in them.

I had the lining in an old overcoat replaced years ago and I remember it being fairly major surgery -- both on the coat and on my wallet.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a cheaper coat would have a poly lining. Therefore switching the lining doesn't seem worth it. You are probably looking at around a $100 to reline a jacket.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solution: If it's going to bother you, don't buy a coat with a polyester lining.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I only buy coats that are silk lined. I don't care if it's 100% nylon, polyester or cotton, as long the lining is made of silk

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Yeah, I only buy coats that are silk lined. I don't care if it's 100% nylon, polyester or cotton, as long the lining is made of silk

Not many jackets are lined with silk anymore; rayon is more breathable, harder wearing and cheaper.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.