• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coats for very skinny men

IDH

Reaction score
I recieved a large order from Uniqlo today and whilst t shirts, shirts and sweaters all fit perfectly in size XS - The coats I ordered are all too wide. I have no warm outerwear that fits well, and as the weather is getting much colder here in the UK, I need to buy some as soon as possible.

I am 5ft10 - and between 125-130lbs. I think I have quite wide shoulders for my frame, but only a 28" waist. Can anyone recommend any brands/stores that have small sizes? I don't really want to spend more than £300 per coat and I'm interested in quite classic styles like trench coats, pea coats and Chesterfield coats.

I will post pictures of the coats I recieved today if it will help people see the problem,
Tom

loreley

Reaction score
Dior Homme.

Also, a tailor and / or MTM are your friend. Outerwear can be tailored like any other garment.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should buy some food intead

barring that, lad musician fits small

dior homme, as above

w+h xs is tiny

pretty sure zara is fitted too (for cheap stuff)

im sure hipster barn has tons of cheap small stuff, too (urban outfitters)

eat, please, you're wasting away!

innerstyle

Reaction score
If you really want the Uniqlo jacket in your size, check into proxying it a Uniqlo in Asia as their smallest size should be smaller than an UK/American XS. The sleeve length may be a problem though.

Another option? At 5ft10 125-130lbs, I would lift heavy weights and eat more.

Last edited:

IDH

Reaction score
OK thanks for the replies.

Firstly I would love to be in the gym lifting weights, but at the minute I have an issue with my kidneys so lifting weights regularly would have a very negative effect on my recovery. I'm getting better, but at the minute it is not an option.

Next I have checked out the Dior recomendation - and unfortunatly as Uncontrol predicted it is more than I am willing to pay for a coat. In my orginal post I said £300 was my limit but I would stretch to £400-500 for something I really like. Surely I can get a good fitting, nice coat for that?

I will look at other options now (Uncontrol what japenese brands do you recommend?) and I will post pictures of the coats to show why I don't think they are suitable.

Thanks again,
Tom

_yoo

Reaction score
if you're in the EU you may want to check out cos, they have some nice looking affordable coats
i hear the brand fits quite slim, but never had the chance to try on any of their stuff, so can't guarantee the coats will be slim enough for you.
still, you must not be *too* slim if uniqlo XSs tops fit you well. some of their xs button-ups are a little baggy for me. this year's outerwear also fit a little baggier than usual.
there's a thread devote to them

Last edited:

IDH

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - Any other suggestions?

Tom

IDH

Reaction score
Would looking for a size XL in "boys" sizes be the next size down? If so does anyone know of any brands/stores that do good quality childs sizes

Thanks

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a thick ("chunky knit") sweater between you and the Uniqlo jackets be enough to make them (almost) fit?

I doubt you're going to find anything in kids' sizes that looks like something you would want to wear. Then again, I haven't shopped for children's clothing since I was the child in question.

Last edited:

Gagno905

Reaction score
Lad Musician fits small.
American Apparel, as much as I hate to say it, has very skinny sizes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads