• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coat

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, I'm in the market for a coat for the spring/Fall season. Something relatively light I can wear in the morning and evenings. Also, something I can wear to work (shirt and tie, no jacket) and to play (jeans and shirt, maybe a sweater). Thoughts on these:

1. http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...658&pid=449694 (very practical looking, seems like it would work really well for both my needs)

2. http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/CNC+CO...X/areaid/34318 (included b/c low prize 79% chance I won't like in person)

3. http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/COSTUM...Z/areaid/34318 ($100 above ideal price, but looks most practical)

4. http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/COSTUM...C/areaid/34319 (better than #2 price wise but not sure of color)

5. http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/ASPESI...T/areaid/34319

Vote and opinions sirs. Plus I hate that I'm in the market for new shoes but I also want to buy a Jacket. But we'll see which I get first...

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BR one is the only one I'd wear without a jacket, and even then I'm not sure about it with a tie: why don't you just get a jacket (sport coat)?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For your purposes, some of those strike me as way too

stack.jpg

Of your choices, I like the fourth best. Just don't button it all the way up. But I think you can find a similar jacket for much less than that.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the BR one is much too short and looks just wrong. I can see a just above the knee trenchcoat, but that one looks dumb to me now and will look dumber in a couple of years.

The second one is too out there for me, but if you are into stuff like that, it would work.

The third one is not bad. Pretty basic, a bit much $ for so basic IMO.

The fourth looks awful IMO, at least in that pic. I have a similar coat but the collar is shorter and rounder so I can wear it up. And yeah, it's expensive.

The fifth I don't really like the fabric of. It reminds me of those nylon trenchcoats that I see old ladies wear. It might look better in person but you could get a pretty similar Sanyo tech-fabric trench for less and there's nothing really striking about the design of the yoox one.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#3 is the best of the options, but more than you want to pay (or should have to pay) and not right without a jacket.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#3 gets my vote. It's a better investment in the long run. I have the classic Burberry trench coat in the original Gabardine and have not regretted it. I wear it primarily as an overcoat.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alas, it's sold out. Anyway it was $100 more than I wanted to drop at the moment. Thanks for playing, all.

presence

Reaction score
The BR jacket has a tight appearance. It's short length gives it a good look.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
j;463626 said:
I think the BR one is much too short and looks just wrong. I can see a just above the knee trenchcoat, but that one looks dumb to me now and will look dumber in a couple of years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads