• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coarse & frizzy hair

lucky

Reaction score
I've got hair that seems really coarse and frizzy. When I put gel on it, it usually tends to look like a wig sitting on my head, along with half a dozen hairs sticking up like I'd been given an electric shock.

Is there any kind of hair products I can use to fix it? I'm trying to aim for a short "business casual" style, but the problem seems that regular gels seem to have no effect on my hair (other than sticking them together into little clumps).

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to get some chemical relaxer. Look in the section of your drug store that sells black hair products for non-lye chemical relaxer. It's at most $7 and takes 20 min to apply; it will solve your problem.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mike, have you tried this? I feel weird admitting it, but I once decided to try this stuff right before I was planning to cut my hair anyway. I followed the directions, left it on to the outer limit of the time, and it did exactly nothing. Except smell weird. Maybe I got the wrong kind?

Anyway, I always thought it'd be cool to have straight hair because you can do more stuff with it, but then I learned to stop worrying and love the 'fro. If it's totally unmanageable, of course, fix it. Mine's unruly but I just don't care anymore.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, have you tried this? I feel weird admitting it, but I once decided to try this stuff right before I was planning to cut my hair anyway. I followed the directions, left it on to the outer limit of the time, and it did exactly nothing. Except smell weird. Maybe I got the wrong kind?
I've done this at least a dozen times. You need to do this after you get a haircut, if you do it before, the process unworks.

For me it's worked almost everytime. If you don't see results, you need to keep it on for a bit longer. I'm surprised nothing happened.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Mike C, how long does one need to leave the stuff in? How long do the effects last?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave it in for 20 min. It should last for a few weeks or so. I have somewhat wavy long hair. so maybe for me the process works better. I don't use this stuff anymore though.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing really, I like keeping my long hair wavy. When it used to be shorter, I liked it straighter.

lucky

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip, I'll check with the stores to see if I can find the hair relaxers.

What sort of effect do hair relaxers generally have? Does it make your hair softer and easier to style?

My hair isn't curly or wavy, its simply extremely coarse and matted, which despite gelling, still looks like a giant bug's nest.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What sort of effect do hair relaxers generally have? Does it make your hair softer and easier to style?

My hair isn't curly or wavy, its simply extremely coarse and matted, which despite gelling, still looks like a giant bug's nest.
Yea man, it takes out all the frizzyness and coarseness. It's makes it alot easier to style and softer.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
My hair is more straight and poofy than coarse and frizzy (although it is a little coarse and frizzy). What helps me more than anything is Clinique Shaping Wax.

Also, don't be afraid to try new hairdressers/barbers. I now pay more than ever for a haircut, but it is worth it.

auto90403

Reaction score
I'm going to try the Kiehl's creme.

i have dry, coarse hair, my absolute worst feature. i wear my hair pretty short -- a bit longer than buzz cut -- which minimizes the problem. still, i cringe when girls touch it because i know how rough it feels in their hands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads