• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coach vs. Tumi

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting money clip for birthday gift for the s-in-law. Right now two contenders are Coach and Tumi, neighbors in our most upscale enclosed mall. Both are same price - $38 (full price; no discount anticipated in time) - and Im trying to decide which to get. Tumi is napa leather and made in China. I think comes only in black and is slightly wider. Coach is simple, narrower rectangle, comes in brown or black (latter would have to be ordered), water buffalo calfskin, and made in India.
Which of these choices as a gift do you believe has the more cache?
confused.gif

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Getting money clip for birthday gift for the s-in-law. Right now two contenders are Coach and Tumi, neighbors in our most upscale enclosed mall. Both are same price - $38 (full price; no discount anticipated in time) - and Im trying to decide which to get. Tumi is napa leather and made in China. I think comes only in black and is slightly wider. Coach is simple, narrower rectangle, comes in brown or black (latter would have to be ordered), water buffalo calfskin, and made in India.
Which of these choices as a gift do you believe has the more cache?
confused.gif

Coach IMO.

Bummer - the Coach outlet had these on sale 50% off with a bonus 20% this weekend when I stopped in.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's okay; what it would cost me to drive to our Coach outlet store would eat up much of the discount, and I'm waiting for a Wilson's Leather receipt to come in the mail before I go there. Thanks.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know about Tumi, but Coach is ok. Coach is overrated though, I had several items (wallet, belt) by Coach but they don't seem to hold up as well as I wanted.

w.mj

Reaction score
I wouldn't get one with a magnetic closure. The magnets are strong enough to degauss things like hotel room keys, which can be a big hassle.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coach over tumi. 2 years ago, that would not have been true.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a sterling siver one in the shape of a paper clip with threads all around. It is much slimmer than those 2...which I had a sililiar one many yrs back. Either is ok. Really no diff. Look into something slimmer...

HitMan009

Reaction score
I say forget both and go for a nice sterling silver one. You won't regret it

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've see many but they will tarnish. I've also looked at stainless steel. One jeweler had both and the ss's were at least as expensive. When I mentioned it's surprising in that sterling is usually mroe expensive than stainless steel the girl said that may be true for jewelry but in the case of a money clip the stainless may last longer.... I don't know about that for an answer; usually that feature isn't as important in price as original composition.
Also about sterling, many are traditional designs (i.e. 1930s look) and call out for engraved initials, and I didn't want to get into that (in practicality, I plan to present it when they're in town in 2 weeks and assume if he doesn't like it he'll speak up and I can return it then).

HitMan009

Reaction score
I have a tiffany's sterling silver money clip. I don't have much problems with tarnishing if at all. I did at the beginning when I used to put my leather card case and the money clip in the same pocket though. Now I know that exposure to leather causes tarnish. Just google and you will see what aides in tarnishing. To me, leather, esp with magnets, stainless steel looks cheap but if you find one that looks elegant, all the more power to you.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not sure which option carries more cachet, but I've had both Tumi and Coach wallets over the years, and the Tumi (which I still own and use) has held up a lot longer than its Coach counterparts. It's still relatively unscathed and pristine after 6 years of ownership and a lot of rough handling.

jon5986

Reaction score
IMHO I prefer Tumi. They make a strong reliable product, which I am used for several years.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have the coach (thanks St. helena outlet store!). or something like it. mine has a pocket for id, ccards, etc., and a magnetic flap that holds the bills. i've had it at least 5 years and it's only beginning to show minimal wear.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got my sterling from Woodbury..Saks(i believe) and it has not tarnished. With those leather clips, if you have several bills on you, it almost looks like you are carrying a mini wallet. Get something slim. Look around. Those leather ones don't cut it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics