• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coach Moved Production to China?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Haha, nevermind. Just browsed the Coach website and there is no leather briefcase over $500! I guess Coach totally did a 180 on me. I guess they are totally no longer a luxury or semi-luxury brand.

The leather quality of its small goods is absolutely abysmal. It's all spongy. But nothing is more atrocious than the 'C' monogram they plaster over everything.

Unit 91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The leather quality of its small goods is absolutely abysmal. It's all spongy. But nothing is more atrocious than the 'C' monogram they plaster over everything.

Not sure about anything new as I'd never considered owning anything made by them before I stumbled upon my briefcase but it's excellent quality. No 'C' monogram to be found, either. In fact that only way you'd know it was Coach would be if you looked inside or I told you. I'm not a fan of heavily branded items (like LV). I can't stand wearing a logo on every available surface of my garment. :shiver:

gordon gartrell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Haha, nevermind. Just browsed the Coach website and there is no leather briefcase over $500! I guess Coach totally did a 180 on me. I guess they are totally no longer a luxury or semi-luxury brand.

hmmm....this posters' sense of luxury is questionable...price doesnt determine luxury...but this seems to be a prevailing thought in this forum

danyllau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unit 91
Not sure about anything new as I'd never considered owning anything made by them before I stumbled upon my briefcase but it's excellent quality. No 'C' monogram to be found, either. In fact that only way you'd know it was Coach would be if you looked inside or I told you. I'm not a fan of heavily branded items (like LV). I can't stand wearing a logo on every available surface of my garment. :shiver:

most of the real item from any of these big designer (LV, coach, gucci, etc) have minimal and much more subtle, if any, branding. It also cost about 3 times more, if not more.
lol8[1].gif

hmmm....this posters' sense of luxury is questionable...price doesnt determine luxury...but this seems to be a prevailing thought in this forum
haha yeah, anything on this forum is a luxury item.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True Story. Coach started production in China back in the 80's. There was a Chinese producer making fakes that were actually better quality than the originals and coach ended up moving production there.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
in contrast, I got an email from Myron Glaser of Glaser Designs at 9 pm last night (from his office!) saying that he personally spent hours hand dyeing the hyde he's using to make me an antiqued version of this briefcase

when you factor in the time Myron has spent plus the cost of the high quality leather he uses (thick saddle leather) and the quality of the workmanship (quality that travel writer Peter Greenberg says is the only bag that will last his lifetime), it's an incredible deal

I can't wait to write up a full review on Glaser Designs as this process continues - factory tour and all

B17125MWDealbagPrev.jpg

I am for sure buying some of these products, thank you for posting on them!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't owned much Coach, but most of what I've seen was made in China or India, except for the older items which were made in the USA. I wasn't really all that thrilled with any of them...

Nevertheless, it doesn't bother me TOO much where the items are made, so long as there isn't noticeable loss of quality or that they don't continue to charge the same prices as they would for made in Italy or USA.

Lambertson Truex's men's leathergoods sort of changed my perception of "Made in China" for the better. Most of their menswear items are made there, but are of excellent quality... not Hermes or Valextra, of course, but certainly better (IMO) than Coach and in many cases better than some of the major labels, while often being half the price. As well, they seem to pass on the relative production savings to customers, in that their men's bags range $375-700 at retail, considerably less than you'd expect given the high quality.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gordon gartrell

You are 100% wrong. This poster knows ALL about quality. Check out his store.

Syl

Reaction score
At the end of the day, most first-world countries have excellent laws to protect workers. These include health & safety and minimum legal working ages so there's a certain level of comfort on can get knowing that people cannot be entirely abused manufacturing these high-end goods.

When last I checked, China doesn't have these types of protections for its citizens. You regularly hear stories of the working conditions, the treatment etc. Sure, people are free but indentured servitude isn't something I feel anyone should support.

If a manufacturing plant moves from A to B because B is cheaper, one has to ask why is B cheaper? The response is almost always because of cheaper personnel costs i.e. the workers on the line are paid less. I personally would rather pay more and know the people making my product are paid fairly and treated well. Unfortunately that's near impossible to find out, so better to avoid buying products from China altogether.

Basically I'm voting with my wallet.

jsherman02

Reaction score
I think the majority of companies use overseas parts or labor. Terms like hand-made, or made in Italy mean little to me anymore.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I also don't get too wrapped up in country of origin when it comes to product quality. Labor standards and cultural issues notwithstanding, globalization has evened the playing field.

China is perfectly capable of producing great items. I know from some clothing designers that it's difficult for them to find factories outside of China capable of really complex sewing techniques. Either it's not available in the West, or it's insanely expensive. As long as great materials are used, I'm sure that a Chinese factory can produce a bag on par with an Italian, English, or American company. Maybe not the finest bag in the world, but something decent and luxurious, sure.

On the other hand, many "made in USA" products are produced in Downtown LA sweatshops. Many "made in Italy" items are made by low-paid Chinese immigrants living in Italy. And many "made in Switzerland" items are (largely) made anywhere but Switzerland.

But all that aside, I'd say that much of Coach's stuff is overpriced crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics