• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coach Dave Rickey, 5 Olympic Gold medals and his girls! Bobby Morrow and 3 Olympic Go

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had mentioned Dave Rickey in my post here, See post 22634 about Rickey and the 5 Olympic Gold Medals.

He was an interesting character who I had met many years ago. He was an LSU graduate petroleum engineer. But he never made a career of that. Back in college at LSU he ran track with Billy Cannon ( later a famous NFL star).

Rickey then moved to Houston where he had the idea of starting a track team back around 1966. He did it and called the team the Houston Striders. Things were very different then. Amateur athletes were not paid at all and success in the Olympics was not a guarantee of big bucks and further success.

Rickey signed up a lot of extraordinary athletes like Jim Hines, Bob Beaman, and Willie Davenport. The Olympics were in Mexico City ion 1968 and his team won 5 Gold Medals. This was the famous Olympics where John Carlos and Tommie Smith raised their hands with the black gloves.

Anyway, Rickey's guys came back to Houston, and it was a big deal, but not remotely like it would ber now. Rickey did run a few city of Houston programs but never again duplicated his Olympic successes.

I met him in the late 1980s and loved his stories since I'm a history buff. He also claimed to be quite a ladies man, but I wondered about that. Well lo and behold, when he died in 2007 I was an executor and I went though his things. There was little of value. But amazingly, old Rickey was into the ladies. In the 1970S he tried the old "Model's Scam". He would advertise that he was a talent agent and would provide free photo portfolios to those girls he thought had potential. Turns out lots of them had potential. He had hundreds of photos from that era! The very best of the he made cheerleaders on his team.

Here's Rickey in his later years:

IMG_0005-2.jpg

Here are the Houston Strider Cheerleaders circa 1968:

IMG_0004-3.jpg

Here my favorite (Sharon H. who reminds me very much of my current "personal trainer" A) presenting a medal to Olympic Gold Medalist Jim Hines.

IMG_0003-3.jpg

Here are some more photos of Sharon ( all with signed model's releases):

IMG-4.jpg

IMG_0001-2.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

And finally here is Bobby Morrow ( who is still alive), and was Rickey's best buddy.

Morrow won 3 Gold medals in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics and was a s famous as Michal Jordan in his day.

Bobby Morrow and the 1956 Olympics!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice....
smile.gif
Sharon, that is...

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is kind of.........weird

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
this is kind of.........weird

Why?

It's called history and relates to the Olympics.

Sharon would be about 60 years old now. That's called life!

And Bobby Mprrow is very much alive and living in Brookshire, Tx. I still speak to him occasionally. Being the fastest man in the world and winning 3 Olympic Gold is a big deal, though he is a real laid back modest guy.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Where are the rest of the pics in that series of Sharon?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Where are the rest of the pics in that series of Sharon?

In my closet along with the rest of "Rickey's estate". It's real weird, but I think Rickey dreamt of being a Hugh Heffner or at least a Bob Guccione.

He really missed the Larry Flynt era though and there's no spread em wide pink stuff
laugh.gif

Had he applied his talents to track, instead of photographing women, he might have gone really far in Track and Field.

We tried to interest Mickey Herskowitz and some known sports writers ( like Frank Deford) in Rickey's story, but all of them said that Track stories are a hard sell.

Today, 5 Gold Medals, including an event for the ages, like Bob Beamons long jump would be a huge world wide story. Back then it was a different time!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Sharon would be about 60 years old now.
Paging Conne. Paging Conne.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Paging Conne. Paging Conne.

Sharon was a wonderful gorgeous young woman involved with modeling, sports and the Olympics.

I think it's a great gesture to show her (with her permsissionj) in her salad days.

I was also going to do a thread on Bobby Morrow too in his Olympic Glory days. He's about 75 years old now.

What do you suggest we do with people over 50 years old that have accomplished something? Shoot them perhaps!

How many people do you know that have won 3 Olympic Gold Medals or coached 5 Gold Medal winners?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads