• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CNNSI Mock Draft

AAA

Reaction score
The CNNSI mock draft by Don Banks.... From http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005....cnn=yes 1 Â QB Aaron Rodgers California Jr. 6-2 215 With no quarterback in this draft judged to be worth No. 1 overall value, the 49ers would be better off to trade down and acquire a package of picks. But with who? If the 49ers stay put, give them the local kid with great accuracy. Â 2 Â RB Cedric Benson Texas Sr. 6-0 215 We're assuming that Nick Saban is going to stick with A.J. Feeley as his starting quarterback. We're assuming that Miami won't make a deal with Buffalo for running back Travis Henry. We're assuming a lot at this point. Â 3 Â QB Alex Smith Utah Jr. 6-4 212 With Jeff Garcia slated to be released shortly, the Browns have to consider Smith. But they'd love to trade out of this lofty spot. If they pass on Smith, Florida State offensive tackle Alex Barron would be a reach who fills a need. Â 4 Â WR Braylon Edwards Michigan Sr. 6-3 206 The Bears lack a playmaker at receiver, and Edwards fits the bill nicely, providing good value for this slot. He has better size and speed than former No. 1 David Terrell, and he's the consensus pick as this draft's top receiver. Â 5 Â RB Carnell Williams Auburn Sr. 5-11 204 The Bucs have so many other needs (OT, DT, DB), but with Charlie Garner aging and injury prone, and Michael Pittman probably not the long-term answer, Jon Gruden might take the back he coached at the Senior Bowl. Â 6 Â OT Alex Barron Florida State Sr. 6-6 308 The Titans again face cap restraints this offseason. With RT Fred Miller due a $5 million March 1 signing bonus and LT Brad Hopkins 35 in early September, Barron would allow them to replenish at a key position. Â 7 Â DE Dan Cody Oklahoma Sr. 6-5 265 Cody would fit the hybrid 3-4 the Raiders prefer, and he's their kind of high-motor guy. He did not distinguish himself in the Orange Bowl, but what Sooner did? Auburn RB Ronnie Brown also makes sense here. Â 8 Â RB Ronnie Brown Auburn Sr. 6-1 224 The Cardinals would do handstands all the way up to the podium if Brown is still available. With Emmitt Smith retired and Dennis Green not in love with Marcel Shipp, the versatile Brown is a no-brainer. Â 9 Â CB Adam Jones West Virginia Jr. 5-10 190 With Champ Bailey leaving last year and Fred Smoot possibly following him out the door via free agency, the Redskins gladly would pick up the draft's high-rated cornerback. Jones is small, but he's fast and plays big. Â 10 Â CB Antrel Rolle Miami Sr. 6-1 202 The Lions have invested their past four No. 1 picks on offense, so it's time to think defense. Rolle is a big, athletic, physical cover man who plays run defense, too. Thus, some have him as more of a safety in the NFL. Â 11 Â DE Erasmus James Wisconsin Sr. 6-4 263 The Cowboys' defense slumped badly in 2004, and nobody was a bigger disappointment than newly acquired defensive end Marcellus Wiley. James has some injury concerns, but teams willingly take chances on pass rushers. Â 12 Â WR Mike Williams USC Jr. 6-5 230 Despite his unexpected one-year hiatus, Williams still is only 21. He's a big, sure-handed receiver in the Michael Irvin mold, and the Chargers need help at receiver, with Keenan McCardell being their dependale wideout. Â 13 Â LB Derrick Johnson Texas Sr. 6-4 235 The Texans won't be able to pass on this home-state star. He's an impact player who can chase the ball all over the field, and he's versatile enough to play in different spots in Houston's 3-4 scheme. Could be a steal if he lasts. Â 14 Â WR Troy Williamson South Carolina Jr. 6-2 200 This pick is predicated on the Panthers not being able to resign receiver Muhsin Muhammad, who had a monster season after No. 1 receiver Steve Smith was lost for the season. Williamson is the draft's fastest pass-catcher. Â 15 Â DE Marcus Spears LSU Sr. 6-4 298 Spears helped himself quite a bit with a strong week at the Senior Bowl, and what team needs more help on defense than the bedraggled Chiefs? Vonnie Holliday hasn't done much since K.C. spent in free agency for him in 2003. Â 16 Â S Thomas Davis Georgia Jr. 6-1 230 The Saints might be tempted to look at one of the best remaining defensive linemen, but they've spent heavily there in recent drafts. Davis is a hard-hitting safety who plays like a linebacker, and might be one in the NFL. Â 17 Â DT Travis Johnson Florida State Sr. 6-5 292 Run defense was the bane of the Bengals' existence last season, so an upgrade in the middle of the line is mandatory. With Tony Williams a free agent, Johnson is a solid mid-first-round pick who can penetrate the backfield. Â 18 Â DT Anttaj Hawthorne Wisconsin Sr. 6-3 305 The Vikings need a run-stuffing nose tackle who can play alongside DT Kevin Williams and soak up lots of double-team blocks. Hawthorne can generate pressure and hold the point, making him a nice fit for the Purple. Â 19 Â OT Jammal Brown Oklahoma Sr. 6-6 313 You might have heard that the Kyle Turley acquisition didn't work out so well last season, what with him and the head coach wanting to kill each other and all. With right tackle still a problem, Brown is the layup choice. Â 20 Â DE/OLB Shawne Merriman Maryland Jr. 6-4 250 Merriman is a "tweener" prospect, but he has great athleticism and some pass-rush skills. Dallas may be able to move him around as it dabbles more with a 3-4 scheme. Cornerback Carlos Rogers is another possibility. Â 21 Â DE David Pollack Georgia Sr. 6-3 276 The Jaguars' troubles at defensive end last season were well-documented. In Pollack, they get a player who lacks something in terms of size and speed, but makes up for it with great effort, strength and instincts. Â 22 Â WR Roddy White UAB Sr. 6-2 205 News flash: The Ravens need a big-play receiver. If Baltimore doesn't win the Randy Moss trade sweepstakes, it's a darn good bet it will spend its first-rounder on one. It should come down to White or Oklahoma's Mark Clayton. Â 23 Â DE Matt Roth Iowa Sr. 6-4 270 Another case where defense is a team's obvious need. Roth would give Seattle the pass-rusher it lacked at times last season, when all those fourth-quarter leads were going up in smoke. His intensity is Grant Wistrom-like. 24 Â CB Carlos Rogers Auburn Sr. 6-1 194 Can the Packers take another corner if they spent a No. 1 (Ahmad Carroll) and a No. 3(Joey Thomas) pick on the position last season? Did you see Carroll play last year? The position remains a need, and Rogers will be tempting. Â 25 Â DE/DT Shaun Cody USC Sr. 6-4 295 The Broncos must upgrade their defensive line, and they'll consider themselves fortunate if Cody falls to them. He can generate pass rush from the outside and slow down the run when he's lined up inside. Â 26 Â CB Brandon Browner Oregon State Jr. 6-4 202 It's a deep year for cornerbacks, and the Jets could be well-situated to land the position's fourth-best prospect. Browner would upgrade David Barrett's side of the field in pass defense if he runs as well as expected this spring. Â 27 Â WR Mark Clayton Oklahoma Sr. 5-11 187 Clayton put on a great show at the Senior Bowl and lifted himself into the first round. If he gets past Baltimore at No. 22, the Falcons should snap him up. Michael Vick could use a No. 1 receiver -- Peerless Price hasn't gotten it done. Â 28 Â S Brodney Pool Oklahoma Jr. 6-3 208 Pool makes its four Sooners in the first round. (How did they get blown out by USC?) With safety Jerry Wilson headed for free agency, and a first-round receiver already taken at No. 12, Pool would add a playmaking element to the secondary. Â 29 Â CB Bryant McFadden Florida State Sr. 6-0 186 The Colts aren't going to get past the powers that be in the AFC until they upgrade at cornerback. McFadden had a quality Senior Bowl and has the size that NFL scouts look for. Clemson's Justin Miller is another option. Â 30 Â TE Heath Miller Virginia Jr. 6-5 255 This might end up being ridiculously low for Miller, who is far and away the class of the tight end crop. With the way teams throw to tight ends these days, some believe the smooth and athletic Miller could crack the top 15. Â 31 Â WR Reggie Brown Georgia Sr. 6-1 195 Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell are simply not enough of a threat to keep folks off No. 1 receiver Terrell Owens. Brown turned a few heads with a good week at the Senior Bowl, and he has nice size and reliable hands. Â 32 Â CB Justin Miller Clemson Jr. 5-11 201 The round might include as many as six or seven cornerbacks, and that's great news for the Patriots, who could bid farewell to both Ty Law and Tyrone Poole. Another possibility is LSU cornerback Corey Webster.

AAA

Reaction score
Edwards before Williams? Yeah ok.
Actually I will be surprised if Williams is taken before Edwards. Then again everything can change at the combine (if either of them decide to work out).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that is pretty stupid personally. Williams fits the mold of a great NFL receiver, while Edwards had ONE good season at Michigan and was otherwise insigificant. The track record of 1st round UM wide recievers have been either mediocre (David Terrell) or diasterous (Desmond Howard) Other UM receivers have not made an impact at all (Marcus Knight) The last UM athlete who played WR to make an impact was Charles Woodson, and he certainly isn't a WR in the NFL.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my Seahawks to draft the seven foot tall, invisible, flying, shoots fireballs out his ass defensive tackle.

Damn we need one.

uriahheep

Reaction score
In which round do you think that Maurice Clarett will be drafted(if at all)? Which teams may be interested? Clarett played just one season and had a good year, but seems like an idiot in so many ways.
Chris Brown of the Titans, who's been pretty good so far in the NFL and had a good (full) college career before that, was picked in only the third round.
David Terrell may need a new team. He showed some promise in his rookie season(2001). He's not a speedster, but he's a big receiver who could probably thrive in the right system. I can't believe how bad the Bears' offense has been in recent years. The lack of stability at the QB position has been quite detrimental.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
27 Â WR Mark Clayton Oklahoma Sr. 5-11 187 Clayton put on a great show at the Senior Bowl and lifted himself into the first round. If he gets past Baltimore at No. 22, the Falcons should snap him up. Michael Vick could use a No. 1 receiver -- Peerless Price hasn't gotten it done.
Would it have anything to do with Vick's pass rating being as low as it is: (21) Michael Vick ATL 2313 321 181 14 12 62 78.1 Although we did expect more from Price, Vick has got to learn to throw the ball more consistently.

TheRookie

Reaction score
I thought Michael Jenkins was supposed to be the Falcons' #1 receiver of the future?

AAA

Reaction score
I think that is pretty stupid personally.  Williams fits the mold of a great NFL receiver, while Edwards had ONE good season at Michigan and was otherwise insigificant.  The track record of 1st round UM wide recievers have been either mediocre (David Terrell) or diasterous (Desmond Howard)  Other UM receivers have not made an impact at all (Marcus Knight)  The last UM athlete who played WR to make an impact was Charles Woodson, and he certainly isn't a WR in the NFL.
Williams may be too slow to be a great NFL receiver.  He probably won't run at the combine so we won't know how fast he really is, but he should be a very good possession receiver.  I don't think anyone will ever call him great at the NFL level.

I think using the "so and so went to the same school and he sucked" draft theory is pretty stupid.  Hasn't Edwards had two or three 1000 yard receiving seasons?  At the college level if you can get 1000 yards, I call that a good year.

Marcus Knight?  Was he even drafted?  Off the top of my head I would think Toomer and Streets have been pretty decent NFL careers.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Would you say that Williams is comparable to Keyshawn Johnson?

AAA

Reaction score
Would you say that Williams is comparable to Keyshawn Johnson?
Well they did both go to USC....Actually he does remind me of him, but supposedly slower.  The reason I say slower is that last year when it looked like he was going to be eligible for the draft the rumor was that he was really a 4.6 guy.   I seem to remember everyone touting him as the #1 overall pick and then as questions regarding his 40 time started spreading he started to slip.  Then again, I am not an NFL scout, so I am probably talking about ******...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mike Williams ran a 4.5 last year in a private workout. Just so you know, Terrell Owens also ran a 4.5 during the NFL combine, actually Mike Williams is a very similar reciever to Andre Johnson or Terrell Owens.

Edwards has had a decent college career, but had lesser stats than either Howard or Terrell in college. I think the position player/school comparison is very valid because it shows how a school develops that position, if they don't succeed in the NFL, while being successful in college, it could certainly have a lot to do with the system/scheme they played in. I think Edwards is actually going to be a pretty good player in the NFL (along the lines of a Michael Clayton, Keary Colbert type of player) as opposed to Williams, who will be a Johnson/Owens type of player, who could take a 5 yard pass and turn it into a 80 yard TD. Edwards is not Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald, and shouldn't be drafted as such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads