• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CM Approved Jeans - Group Buy

Are you interested in this jean?

• Yes

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the Sport Coats and Jeans thread -

So it seems from this thread that there aren't really that many options when it comes to a CM or smarter jean that works with tailoring.

Would there be interest in crowd-designing and producing a SF version? I can handle the fabric/production side of it while I would need some other members to help with the design and organizing the actual logistics. Probably would be easiest to get down to one fit in one fabric in a rinse or more basic wash.

Some other members have already weighed in -

Great idea. I have a few suggestions. First, offer it in a pre-washed or rinsed version so that there is minimal guessing about fit. Second, medium-high waist. Third, lighter (say 14oz) rather than the trend towards heavy (16oz +) denim. Four, zipper. Five, neat taper (7.5" at cuff) . Maybe even offer an option with a few percent Elastine mix with cotton?

Me too, elastin, 12 0z, and all the ideas Gus has, my main focus is rise. Gotta sit just above the hip. Athletic cut in seat and thigh, tapering nicely from the knee.

To be back rise should be like length /2 - 1, so a 34 yields a 16 inch back rise

This all sounds great to me (12 oz selvage, 98 cotton/2 elastine, preshrunk, athletic fit with taper to 7.5" cuff or maybe 8", mid-high rise, with 16" back rise on a 34 waist). I'd recommend a 12" rise for a 34 with 16" back. Five belt loops, maybe a secret interior pocket, like some tailored pants have. Feel free to start a thread in the GMTO subforum, Cchen, then you and others could post updates here.

Looks like we've landed on 12 oz and a few design details. I want to gauge the level of interest in such a jean. We would need a reasonable quantity (estimating at 100 ppl this could be workable) and the more interest there is the more options we can have, such as a comfort stretch option.

Feel free to comment if you have any thoughts or questions!

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. Although, I'm pretty happy with my Red Cotton Straight Leg Selvedge Jeans. Good rise, sufficiently narrow leg opening, ample thigh width, great pricepoint and available fully customized. I ordered a half waist size and they fit perfectly.

2017-10-17_16-20-54.jpg

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rise looks a little low for my taste, as a reference point for this project. Although we'll never get 100, so if that is the real target, this effort may be doa

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rise looks a little low for my taste, as a reference point for this project. Although we'll never get 100, so if that is the real target, this effort may be doa

Yes the real target is around 100 people. SF has 176k members - I thought 100 was a reachable goal. Let's see how much interest we can get here within a few days.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have to keep in mind there are fabric minimums and factories need some minimum qty to work....

I believe the price can be $100 or less....

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That price is definitely right. I know that this isn't doable without certain minimums, I just wonder if 100 people is realistic on this side of the forum. I mean, denim that is made to suit tailored clothing is a niche to begin with. Even if you take everyone who has posted a fit pic to the denim and sport coats thread you would still be short.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we don't get enough bites here, maybe a Massdrop collaboration could get us there?

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a heads up - Massdrop isn't likely to jump for it, as they've been moving away from soft goods custom products to double down on tech stuff. I think this is especially true for "private label" products like this, where the pattern and everything would have to be developed from the ground up.

That said, I do think it's a good idea and it's one I've been thinking about for a while as well. I'll keep an ear to the ground for opportunities to put something like this together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads