• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

clunky ass shoes, what am i missing here???

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a vintage pair of florsheim kenmoors, double sole. I put them on, they look like im wearing dress shoes with jeans, not a pair of gunboats like they should look. What the hell am i missing? Do they just look better in pictures and what i imagine them to look like, or are there really clunky shoes that look like cinderblocks on my feet, irl.

please show me what im missing, and maybe some recommendations.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^pics?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there have probably been 50 worse things posted today. out with it.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
These look even worse in the photo than i imagined

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL717/.../349464283.jpg

They look like regular dress shoes. I think it's the shape of the shoe. Most gunboat style shoes I've seen are brogued wingtips and longwings with a tall profile and chunky heel. Those have a low profile, even with the double sole.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They'd look fine if they weren't black.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
They'd look fine if they weren't black.

Well that's a pretty racist comment.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breakfast, I've wanted a pair of Kenmoors for a while (cognac). Where'd you get them from and if ordered from the states did you pay customs?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you got some ugly old man cords on, the white champion brand tube socks arent helping, you got black shoes, and you didn't get the kenmoor wingtip. changing any of these things will help.

and kenmoors are originally dress shoes, that's not gonna change even if hipsters wear them ironically

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
I just picked up a vintage pair of florsheim kenmoors, double sole. I put them on, they look like im wearing dress shoes with jeans, not a pair of gunboats like they should look. What the hell am i missing? Do they just look better in pictures and what i imagine them to look like, or are there really clunky shoes that look like cinderblocks on my feet, irl.

please show me what im missing, and maybe some recommendations.

The make (vintage Florsheim) is a good start, for the effect are you're after, you need some longwing bluchers in brown. Can't tell much from the blurry pic, but what you got instead look like black split-toes, or god forbid, bicycle toes.

That's like getting AE Delrays in Chili to wear to interviews instead of black Park Avenues like everyone here would advice you to.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40