• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clueless and In Need of Help

TrulyCapricious

Reaction score
I'm getting married in a month or so any my fiance and I are having trouble finding suits that fit him. I'm looking for a 38L black wool Italian cut and I just don't know where to start. The department stores I've looked at have been virtually useless and most of the specialty shops I've found don't have anything for under $6,000 -- that's a bit steep for us since we're both young and just starting out. Could you guys suggest some designers I could look into? Links to web sites would be simply wonderful as well. Thank you all so much for your time.

Cheers!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the solid black, causing a problem? Or is it the size, or both? I wear a 38 regular in Armani . . . have several black suits from his line. This time of the year however, you're more likely to find navy.

Rampart

Reaction score
I personally like Canali or Zegna suits, they seem to have a very nice fit, however if a guy has a physique that is different from the regular, a decent tailor job would have to be done.. Price also depends upon where you live. If you're in LA, NYC, Chicago, etc.. then there will be numerous places that carry a wide selections, and you'll generally find, that if you look around, there are deals to be had!

There's also numerous online shops that will courier a suit to you, but again, it's all about knowing your sizing.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canali and Corneiliani sound to be in the right line -- do you have an idea of budget other than under 6k$?. Those two should definitely be under that at better department stores. You might also want to try www.sierratradingpost.com They sometimes have those brands as well as higher end lines such as Isaia. BTW, 6k USD is really steep for even the best RTW and many Made to Measure suits. 2k should buy a very nice suit indeed. Regards, Huntsman

TrulyCapricious

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the willingness to help. I'd love to find a single brested peaked lapel, one button jacket with a double brested vest in oxford grey, as was recommended for those of us who are disinclined from morning and strolling jackets, however elegant they may be.

In terms of price, since my dress is $600 and I'll never be able to wear it again (Isn't that the silliest thing? I'm just happy that it's in silk rather than polyester and rayon tulle, but I digress), I think a range of $400 to maybe $1,300 would be about right for my fiance's suit which, I should hope, he would get a good deal of use out of, with something right around $800 probably being ideal. I know that's a huge range but again, I'm fairly new to all of this and I'm afraid my fiance knows as little about men's clothes as I do.
confused.gif
He fairly well fits the stereotype of a software engineer (i.e. Dilbert), albeit fresh out of school.

As far as location is concerned, we are in Oklahoma, which may well have a good deal to do with why I've had such trouble finding anything that comes close to fitting him. This seems to overall be a rather short, rotund state and my fiance is just shy of 6'4" and thin as a bean pole, with most of his height in his legs. Size is, as such, the primary problem.

I'll look into Canali and Corneiliani and I'll look at the Sierra Trading Post as well. Thanks again and any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrulyCapricious
Thanks so much for the willingness to help. I'd love to find a single brested peaked lapel, one button jacket with a double brested vest in oxford grey, as was recommended for those of us who are disinclined from morning and strolling jackets, however elegant they may be.

In terms of price, since my dress is $600 and I'll never be able to wear it again (Isn't that the silliest thing? I'm just happy that it's in silk rather than polyester and rayon tulle, but I digress), I think a range of $400 to maybe $1,300 would be about right for my fiance's suit which, I should hope, he would get a good deal of use out of, with something right around $800 probably being ideal. I know that's a huge range but again, I'm fairly new to all of this and I'm afraid my fiance knows as little about men's clothes as I do.
confused.gif
He fairly well fits the stereotype of a software engineer (i.e. Dilbert), albeit fresh out of school.

As far as location is concerned, we are in Oklahoma, which may well have a good deal to do with why I've had such trouble finding anything that comes close to fitting him. This seems to overall be a rather short, rotund state and my fiance is just shy of 6'4" and thin as a bean pole, with most of his height in his legs. Size is, as such, the primary problem.

I'll look into Canali and Corneiliani and I'll look at the Sierra Trading Post as well. Thanks again and any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

SB Peak Lapel?! Wonderful. You are a treasure, Madame. Give www.royaltuxedos.com a shot -- they might be able to help you out. I saw a really stunning SB Peak in the latest issue of 'Classic Style' magazine, and I believe it was $600. I don't see it on their site (please note the plural is important), but perhaps I missed it -- if you called and referenced the magazine I'm sure they'd know.

Best Wishes,
Huntsman

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are currently on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/2350-NWT-ARMANI-...QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/GIORGIO-ARMANI-M...QQcmdZViewItem If you have never used eBay, you should familarize yourself with the process. Tutorials are provided on the site. eBay can be a great place to find quality merchandise at good prices. However you should use caution. Check sellers feedback, read all the information provided in the listing especially the sellers return policy. Reputable sellers will provide detailed information concerning measurements and you should pay close attention to this information as most sellers won't honor returns for size when they have been specific in their measurements. Honest*Goods seems to be a well thought of seller if you read this forum. You can also search this forum to find detailed information on how to measure your fiance for the best fit. These are just some ideas to consider along with the other quality suggestions you've received. Best of luck with your search for the perfect suit and best wishes for your wedding amd married life!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we are in Oklahoma......most of the specialty shops I've found don't have anything for under $6,000 -- !

Interesting.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not the most popular around here. but Joseph A. Bank has essentially what you're looking for. Single breasted, peak lapel, one button, jetted pockets. On sale online for $400. I bought this suit on sale in-store for $300. I see they have stores in OK. It's clearly not the highest quality, but easily worth the $300 and being able to walk into a brick and mortar store, try the garment on and get it altered has a lot of value for me.

6775e.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you described sounds like a tuxedo. If your fiance truly is as you described, as a software engineer, he's almost guaranteed to not ever need to wear a tuxedo for the rest of his life.

Why not just rent?

TrulyCapricious

Reaction score
The problem I've had with renting and with stores like JoS. A. Bank and with finding suits from specialty shops that carry things that are reasonably priced is in size. My fiance wears a 30" waist 36" long pant, meaning that even a 38L suit is going to leave us with pants that are 2" too wide through the waist. I'm sure stores that carry that sort of thing are here to be found, but I don't know where to look. Mostly, stores seem to carry nothing under a 40, 41, or 42 in a Long. The exception I have found is a shop called Mr. Ooley's and they seem to be in the $4,000 to $7,000 range from what I saw while looking there. Israel's Fine Men's Wear seems to be the best of both worlds as they make suits starting at, if I recall correctly, $2,000, but I don't believe I found them in enough time to have a suit made.

In regards to having him rent or buy a tuxedo, I am taking the advice laid out in Manton's article at its word. We are being married in the afternoon and as such, a tuxedo would not be appropriate. And, to be perfectly honest, although I find morning coats to be absolutely charming, there is no chance at all that I could ever coax David into one. Strollers, the semiformal option suggested in the article, hold less appeal for me than appropriate business suits, the informal option suggested in the article.

Again, I know very little about men's clothes as I have spent my life up until this point without any real need to shop for them. As such, advice from those who know far better than I do is greatly appreciated and that is why I am attempting to follow the letter of the rules laid out in Manton's article.

As has been indicated here many times over, fit is the most important aspect of suit shopping and fit is where my troubles lie. I could be entirely wrong, but I doubt that even the most skilled tailor can take 4" or more out of the waist (and all corresponding parts) of a pair of pants. Thank you again for all of the helpful advice and any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He should definitely get matching trousers (so it's a charcoal suit) to maximize the jacket's utility - it should be usable for any occasion shy of an interview (or nighttime black-tie). A double-breasted vest will almost certainly have to be MTM, so I would certainly settle for a single-breasted if I were you. Since he's young and thin, he should be able to pull off a Thick As Thieves peak-lapel with besom (or tucked
smile.gif
) pockets. I'm sure Get Smart can modify his pattern to make an L. And the trousers are sold as separates to accommodate his 8" drop.
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
These are currently on eBay.
Neither of those are peak lapel. I'm not sure to what extent that bends The Rules...
Originally Posted by lee_44106
What you described sounds like a tuxedo. If your fiance truly is as you described, as a software engineer, he's almost guaranteed to not ever need to wear a tuxedo for the rest of his life.
It's not a tuxedo: read the link we're discussing.

Rolo

Reaction score
My fiance wears a 30" waist 36" long pant, meaning that even a 38L suit is going to leave us with pants that are 2" too wide through the waist.

When buying a suit, don't worry too much about the waist on the pants. They're the easiest part to alter. Getting size 32 pants to look good on a size 30 waist is neither difficult nor expensive (relative to other alterations).

I think the hard thing to do is finding a 38L jacket and pants with a 36" inseam.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
he should be able to pull off a Thick As Thieves peak-lapel with besom (or tucked
smile.gif
) pockets. I'm sure Get Smart can modify his pattern to make an L. And the trousers are sold as separates to accommodate his 8" drop.

+1. You should PM Get Smart and see what he can do.

SB peak lapel 1 button will probably be hard to find.

Congratulations and Best of Luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads