• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Club wear question (pics)

CarllraC

Reaction score
I read an article in GQ that said a grey v-neck sweater would go well with just about anything.

I went out and got some shirts too. My intention is to wear this ensemble in a club in Vegas with some nice, dark, jeans and dark brown shoes.

What do you think? On a scale of 1-10 (1 = oh my ******* god you look ridiculous, 10 = that looks AMAZING) what would you rate this?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
I read an article in GQ that said a grey v-neck sweater would go well with just about anything.

I went out and got some shirts too. My intention is to wear this ensemble in a club in Vegas with some nice, dark, jeans and dark brown shoes.

What do you think? On a scale of 1-10 (1 = oh my ******* god you look ridiculous, 10 = that looks AMAZING) what would you rate this?

well, on the bright side, you're avoiding amjack land, but it looks fairly uninspired and plain vanilla to me... probably solid 5 land though.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Well, first of all, you don't really want to take my thoughts too seriously. But, I will give it to you anyways.
I think you know the brands are not very forum-friendly but I don't really care if the fit works for you.
Is the shirt on the right pink? I think pink tends to work better with darker sweaters, atleast that is what I pair it with.
As for the dark blue shirt, do you not think that two solid colors are a little bland for a club? It's something I am facing currently too, I have too many solids. Adding some sort of pattern might help the overall look, make you look more interesting.
Anyways, just personal thoughts. I have grey sweaters too but it's not a color I think of when I think clubbing. That is the time for something bolder or to experiment. Grey is more of a during-the-day color for me.

As I said, don't take me too seriously.

-fn

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
I think you know the brands are not very forum-friendly but I don't really care if the fit works for you.

Hmm, the only brand I can see there is Express which made the v-neck and as far as I can tell no one has anything against Express around here.

In any case, I would say it's a 5 for now"”besides without seeing how it fits, it's kind of pointless to rate.

CarllraC

Reaction score
It fits decently, not great, but I am hard to fit and for the money (got the stuff on a good sale) I am happy.

Can you link me to examples of more club friendly sweaters or shirts? I want to be a bit dressy but I can't buy a jacket in time for my trip that will fit.

nastyandy

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I usually don't like to wear sweaters to clubs. I find they are too heavy and hot, especially if I hit the dance floor. And they pick up smoke like nothing else, but that'll happen anywhere.

Also, and again, JMO, but I prefer black shoes with a predominantly grey centerpiece for an outfit.

Finally, the lion logo does shout Express as mentioned, but whether that even matters is entirely arbitrary.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
Hmm, the only brand I can see there is Express which made the v-neck and as far as I can tell no one has anything against Express around here.
Oh man. No. Just no. Express is generally reviled. With an unyielding weath of reason behind it. I'd give it a 4. I agree with drizzt, but -1 for Express logos. I'd be surprised if it fit particularly well, either. For the same money, you can do a lot better even just with mall brands like Banana or J Crew, let alone judicious internet and sale shopping.

nastyandy

Reaction score
It fits decently, not great, but I am hard to fit and for the money (got the stuff on a good sale) I am happy.

Can you link me to examples of more club friendly sweaters or shirts? I want to be a bit dressy but I can't buy a jacket in time for my trip that will fit.

When I hit clubland I like to mix dressy and cutting edge. Like something along these lines. Or even if you own a suit, take the jacket and rock a unique graphic tee underneath. Be creative.

CarllraC

Reaction score
Okay thanks. Note that coming from the fashion sewer, I am more trying to look just as good as everyone else, than be outstanding.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd go with a solid colored dress shirt, or POTENTIALLY a striped shirt but stay away from amjack loud patterns.

I would agree that a sweater isn't a good idea, especially in Vegas, where the clubs are hot and so are the women
smile.gif
(whether or not they ask for money, though, is another story)

A nice solid:
ban1_large.jpg

If you're going to go stripes, something like this would work:
bo%20black%20stripe%20detail11.jpg

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Oh man. No. Just no. Express is generally reviled. With an unyielding weath of reason behind it.
Meh, never shopped there, so don't know much—I know it's cheap, etc. But it seems to be tolerated on the men.style.com forum (which I don't post to, just read once in a while—besides, it's been crappy for the last year). But it didn't seem to me like Express is on the hate list, maybe it is though.
tongue.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The general opinions on Express here are:

Things with logos are utter crap
Jeans are great, when cut up for dishrags etc...
Sweaters and polos are OK, if they are logo-free
Jackets and outerwear are overpriced and underwhelming
1MX shirts have a wide variety of colors but quality is generally excreable

That about sums it up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics