• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Club Shoes?

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerx
hmm dress shoes might be a tad too dressy, btw i'm only 19 so i dont' want to look too old. btw what exactly is a "urban-casual" button downs? thnx for all the advices
COCK-MS17_V1.jpg
MORP-MS163_V1.jpg
TCOU-MS9_V1.jpg
TROV-MS76_V1.jpg
Some people here might mock this look or what-not, but coming from someone who's spent A LOT of time in nightclubs for the past 8 years, this is what you wear. Especially a 19 year old guy hitting a dance club. If you show up in StyleForum fashion with brown AEs and a sweater, you're gonna look like a ******* marsupial. And it's gonna feel really out of place and uncomfortable, it's not the environment at all for that look. I would wear a simple, pointed or rounded-toe black boot and any dark denim. Wear the boots until you get a feel for the vibe of the club. The last thing you want is to wear sneakers and get denied at the door.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
Some people here might mock this look or what-not, but coming from someone who's spent A LOT of time in nightclubs for the past 8 years, this is what you wear. Especially a 19 year old guy hitting a dance club. If you show up in StyleForum fashion with brown AEs and a sweater, you're gonna look like a ******* marsupial. And it's gonna feel really out of place and uncomfortable, it's not the environment at all for that look.

I would wear a simple, pointed or rounded-toe black boot and any dark denim. Wear the boots until you get a feel for the vibe of the club. The last thing you want is to wear sneakers and get denied at the door.

oh really?

how come i picked up my wife at a discoteque/nightclub wearing a windowpane blazer, cordovan Aldens, argyle socks, and a fedora?

can you explain that?

well, i was actually wearing black shoes. kenneth coles not Aldens.
and ...actually not argyle, but plain black socks.

and actually i was not really wearing a fedora, but there was a picture of a fedora on the inside tag of my shirt.

and it was not really a discoteque......it was a Coffee Bean cafe, but you get the picture. !!!

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerx
excellent pictures, thanks.

btw i was looking at these shoes, what do you guys think?

http://www.clarkscanada.com/product/...age=2&Level2=2

I'm assuming you're still talking about club shoes with these? I say no.

I was thinking more along the lines of these styles, if you'd feel comfortable wearing them and it fit your persona:

5089-335977-p.jpg

5089-369748-p.jpg

If you're just not into black and want brown, that's fine. But I'd make sure they're very dark and smooth/shiny.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Depends entirely on the club you are going to. Trendier clubs almost always require shoes without large tread (or too similar to boots). Personally I never wear anything super nice to a dance club because way too often when I come home and see the damage the next day it isn't pretty. I would just get some midrange black beaters that are easy to polish out the damage.

To more trance/EDM clubs I usually can get by with my puma or asics and it saves your feet. Dancing till 5am in shoes can be rough.

5am? Huh, lightweight. I went from 10 pm to about 8 am when I went to see Paul van Dyk in Buenos Aires and no, I wasn't on X to keep me going.

Jon.

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
5am? Huh, lightweight. I went from 10 pm to about 8 am when I went to see Paul van Dyk in Buenos Aires and no, I wasn't on X to keep me going.

Jon.

WOW

PVD would've put me to sleep in under 30 minutes
rimshot.gif

/house nerd

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
COCK-MS17_V1.jpg
MORP-MS163_V1.jpg
TCOU-MS9_V1.jpg
TROV-MS76_V1.jpg
Some people here might mock this look or what-not, but coming from someone who's spent A LOT of time in nightclubs for the past 8 years, this is what you wear. Especially a 19 year old guy hitting a dance club. If you show up in StyleForum fashion with brown AEs and a sweater, you're gonna look like a ******* marsupial. And it's gonna feel really out of place and uncomfortable, it's not the environment at all for that look. I would wear a simple, pointed or rounded-toe black boot and any dark denim. Wear the boots until you get a feel for the vibe of the club. The last thing you want is to wear sneakers and get denied at the door.

I'm pretty sure SF members (other than Mr Smith) don't wear brown AEs and sweaters to night clubs haha. You can wear cool button-up shirts without looking like a douchebag if you're careful in your selections... I'd prefer something like this:
IMG_1842.jpg
product1101_large.jpg
IMG_8248_RS.gif
128_large.jpg
I'll agree with the dark denim and black boots/shoes thing (and try to find some that are nice looking but not expensive, Zara/H&M or Nordstrom Rack is a good place to look but please please please don't buy those square toe Steve Madden monstrosities) A jacket is sometimes cool but you're going to probably take it off soon so don't bring one unless you're going to have a table or unless you're going to check it.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, FWIW, the clubs Mr Smith was referring to are not ..erm.. night clubs, but gentlemen's establishments. They are similar to The Garrick Club and The Reform Club , well known on London's social scene by a certain stratum of society, membership generally depending upon profession, politics, background etc. FWIW.

Having said that, the image of Mr Smith grooving to deep trance in his brogues and Prince of Wales check is irresistibly conjured.

vanity

Reaction score
I wouldn't tuck in any shirts going to a nightclub. Unless it was a button-down with a blazer over it.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only "clubs" I go to I can wear a t-shirt, hoodie, jeans, and sneakers. The one good thing about Detroit is that, although small, the club scene is pretty cool.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't tuck in any shirts going to a nightclub. Unless it was a button-down with a blazer over it.

I think that would get pretty hot quickly...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I'm not really into house; trance, progressive are where it's at for me.

Jon.

Pah. Four on the floor plebes. D&B FTW!!!

Anyway, Vanity actually has a good point. Depending on the club, wear what feels "right".
I am partial to boots, always have been. Whether heavier or sleeker, that would depend on your outfit. CT/Loake will work perfectly for that if you factor in the discounts, I have a pair of corrected grain black chukkas from CT that are almost solely for clubs. I don't wear anything I don't want stomped/puked/stained/pissed on. Even more important in "mainstream," clubs where you find more people getting blotto than more niche places...
There are also lots of options for shoes that are near disposable you can find around places like eBay...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads