• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Club Monaco Suit

Buddha25

Reaction score
I am going off to the islands soon for another wedding. These things are getting expensive :(. The bride and groom are requesting that we all wear suits to the event. I was actually looking for something light colored. I only own one dark navy suit as it is and I don't want to take it down there. I was wondering if it made sense to invest in a khaki linen suit? I saw one at club monaco for around 300 dollars. My question is should I spend that kind of money for that type of suit? Also does it make more sense to invest in a wool suit that is of a lighter color? I went to the banana republic outlet and found a similar, though not as nice of a summer suit for around 1/3 of the price. Any suggestions from people who have bought a suit like this in the past. I am a little worried about the durability of a cotton suit as it is. Thanks!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will, in fact if I came into a need of light colour suit for occasions, I will definitely invest on a good light cotton suit, possibly beige or green, so I can wear the suit jacket and trouser separately for weekends

But if you need to ask yourself this kind of question, frankly I wouldn't because your lack of eccentricity will pull you back

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that a BR suit would be any worse. What was the reason it was not as nice?

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't drop a ton of money on a cotton suit. Not a lot of durability there. You might check out brooks brothers, the cotton suits are on sale at this point and you might be able to pick one up for $250.

The BR isn't a bad choice though. If you're really only going to wear it once.

Last edited:

Buddha25

Reaction score
The BR was the factory outlet one. It was nice, but the club monaco one was much nicer. I am just seeing if it is worth spending the extra money. Has anyone ever bought a BR suit? How is the quality usually.

caxt

Reaction score

Has anyone ever bought a BR suit?  How is the quality usually.

I guess it depends on what you mean by quality.

I bought one about 5 years ago at an outlet – white linen. It was nice enough for what it was; I do recall the pant hem fraying rather quickly. It’s not a piece you will want to plan on owning for years to come.

Eventually my brother wore it out and spilled a glass of wine on the pants. I was not overly distressed. Take that how you will.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The BR was the factory outlet one.  It was nice, but the club monaco one was much nicer.  I am just seeing if it is worth spending the extra money.  Has anyone ever bought a BR suit?  How is the quality usually.

Look, you're shopping for a 300 suit. Quality really isn't in it. It will be fused, perhaps half canvas (maybe, if you're lucky) and will be made with fairly cheap cloth. That's all there is to it. Does it fit? That's the real question.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No quality at that price but light coloured will be OK. Buy something you like the look of - no one will notice as long as it fits tolerably, the day is a wedding not a clothes show.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't drop a ton of money on a cotton suit. Not a lot of durability there. You might check out brooks brothers, the cotton suits are on sale at this point and you might be able to pick one up for $250.
The BR isn't a bad choice though. If you're really only going to wear it once.

Look, you're shopping for a 300 suit. Quality really isn't in it. It will be fused, perhaps half canvas (maybe, if you're lucky) and will be made with fairly cheap cloth. That's all there is to it. Does it fit? That's the real question.

+1

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No quality at that price but light coloured will be OK. Buy something you like the look of - no one will notice as long as it fits tolerably, the day is a wedding not a clothes show.

+1

ultramantaro

Reaction score
.... The BR was the factory outlet one. It was nice, but the club monaco one was much nicer ...

Seriously, you are not going to get much help here as soon as you equate club monaco/BR/JCrew with nice.

Focus on the fit, whether you will look sharp in it rather than some middle aged 1/2 bald dude looking for punani.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know the difference in term of fit between the Wright suit jacket vs. the (seemingly) new Grant suit jacket?

I have a Wright blazer as a beater and I actually like the fit a lot.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads