• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah the toggle buttons are actually exactly what I do like about it.

I'm looking for something similar to this:

http://www.prepidemic.com/archives/t...ggle-cardigan/

Problem is that is now sold out and I can't find anything similar.

The CM one is $298 - pretty steep - but is made out merino wool blend as opposed to the cheaper j crew stuff. I don't live in the US so I'd have to order through their online email personal shopping thing (hence no discounts etc...).

If anyone knows of anything similar in navy i'd appreciate it...

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of sales Club Monaco has on Boxing Day? I really like the purple gingham shirt they have in store at the moment.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I bought this. I couldn't resist nor did I want to wait for it to go on sale.
I missed your reply before Trini, but what do you think of it a month later? How is the fit? I'm normally a 38, so medium or small?

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
picked up the fair isle wool sweater for $50, pretty happy with it. very slim fitting, high arm holes. size is XS, i'm 5'11, 150

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice fit Minny. I saw that yesterday and I'm in need of a fair isle but I want a navy color.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Club Monaco and J Crew are my two go-to stores. J Crew is more available (nearest CM is over an hour away) and better quality, so I buy almost all my every day clothes from them.

I went to the Banana Republic website for the first time in a couple years. The menswear has really taken a hit. The website is only a half step up from Target now.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachyzee
What do you all think of the navy cardigan in this photo from their site?
capture_0phgnt4j.png

It's not bad, I tried it on and was thinking about it, wool and fit are nice, collar is pretty thick but in the end the rope they used for the toggles seemed pretty brittle to me and it just didn't convince me on how it looks, besides they also had a super nice charcoal shawl collar 100% cashmere thick ribbed cardigan that's way better imo so I bought that one instead, I thought about waiting for sales but they only had 1 xs left and I hadnt seen it at the other CM that's near me, besides 300 didnt seem that outrageous for a thick 100% cashmere cardigan and I liked it so much that I couldn't risk loosing it, even my wife was impressed and she's really really picky. Come sales time I'm planning on grabbing the brown wool jacket, the navy twill sc and maybe the irish speckled wool sweater or some wool pants, as most here I hadnt stepped into this store in ages until a couple weeks ago and so far I have to say that several items look very good, the size xs/36 fits true and slim for a N/A chain, now lets see how the items hold up over time/wear.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your dimensions for the XS which (I presume) fitted you the best? Their personal shopper lady recommended me an S for the cardigan (shopping online). A bit dubious as i'm usually an M. Does their stuff fit big?

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also just picked up the cashmere shawl cardi.
Great piece for a great pirce!

Originally Posted by canstyleace
It's not bad, I tried it on and was thinking about it, wool and fit are nice, collar is pretty thick but in the end the rope they used for the toggles seemed pretty brittle to me and it just didn't convince me on how it looks, besides they also had a super nice charcoal shawl collar 100% cashmere thick ribbed cardigan that's way better imo so I bought that one instead, I thought about waiting for sales but they only had 1 xs left and I hadnt seen it at the other CM that's near me, besides 300 didnt seem that outrageous for a thick 100% cashmere cardigan and I liked it so much that I couldn't risk loosing it, even my wife was impressed and she's really really picky.

Come sales time I'm planning on grabbing the brown wool jacket, the navy twill sc and maybe the irish speckled wool sweater or some wool pants, as most here I hadnt stepped into this store in ages until a couple weeks ago and so far I have to say that several items look very good, the size xs/36 fits true and slim for a N/A chain, now lets see how the items hold up over time/wear.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachyzee
Cheers. If you don't mind me asking, what's your dimensions for the XS which (I presume) fitted you the best? Their personal shopper lady recommended me an S for the cardigan (shopping online). A bit dubious as i'm usually an M. Does their stuff fit big?
Depends on the fit you want I guess and/or how tall you are. I'd say their sizes fit tts on the slim side, but this is a cardigan which is not supposed to be body hugging, so for me xs was perfect and if anything just a bit loose, so unless you're really tall or want the oversized/slouchy look or have a considerable belly, I'd say the personal shopper was bang on, also keep in mind that all chunky knits will tend to stretch a bit with wear, my $0.02
Originally Posted by edubs01
I also just picked up the cashmere shawl cardi. Great piece for a great pirce!
Agreed, I just wore it yesterday and the ladies were stroking it like it was a genie's lamp, feels soo ******* nice and soft, great buy even at retail.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MinnesotaNice
picked up the fair isle wool sweater for $50, pretty happy with it. very slim fitting, high arm holes. size is XS, i'm 5'11, 150
Are they on sale already? I thought I have to wait until Jan. EDIT: A heads up, they will have additional 30% off on 26th til Sun on sale items. I'll definitely check out the fair isle sweater.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yes, I saw the fair isle sweaters on sale today, not that nice really imo, the hand knit ones and the irish speckled wool ones are nice though but still at retail.

Jean-Claude VanDamme

Reaction score
Customer service is all over ****** whenever i'm there. Just let me browse a little bit and i'll call you over if I need help.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Dude you're jcvd, wtf do you expect, now do a split *****! (j/k)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lachyzee I have a merino wool Club Monaco cardigan which I am REALLY happy with. I'm 6'0 and 158 lbs and the small is perfect on me.

Yeah the sales associates are all over me when I'm there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads