Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by the_state, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Donut

Donut Senior member

Sucks being a size 28 waist and xs. The XS shirts don't fit me that well even in slim fit. Odd thing is I have a gap shirt in xs and it fits me way better.:confused:

2. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

This is most likely based on experiences from a few years back, like pre-RL/TB era I would guess.

I really like the fit on the suit jackets and blazers, although shirts are a no-go for me, XS in classic is to boxy and in slim the sleeves are too long for me, but the sweaters, suits and blazers are all close to a perfect fit on me.

I picked up the wrinkled khaki mason suit recently and its a perfect everyday casual suit, great fit overall save for the vanity sized 28 waist which is actually closer to 29.5 and therefore need a belt which I'd rather not use but what the hell it's a suit after all, now why is it soo hard for most labels to have their size 28 waist actually measure 28"?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

3. canstyleace

Try h&m black label in xs, quality is not great but fit is def slimmer & shorter than cm's xs shirts.

4. Donut

Donut Senior member

My local h&m never carries xs, its only once in a while that there an xs. I also don't like h&m patterns and designs. the club monaco knits fit me pretty well though.

Also agree on the size 28 thing.

5. Meis

Meis Senior member

the 28 measuring 28 thing is because no one (well almost no one) wears pants at their true waist. But yeah, their pants are often really vanity sized... I picked up a pair of the davis summer dress pants and I fit into the 28... I'm definitely not a 28... the waist on them measured about 15.5. The lightweight davis chinos however, are a rare exception - those actually fit true to size and I can wear my normal 30 (the 30 in the aforementioned pants were way loose on me)

6. canstyleace

Agreed that most shirt patterns suck but if you go to a store that has a large black label section theres bound to be at least a couple of decent patterns and xs sizes available, I've rarely seen xs in the regular label shirts (which suck ass hard btw) but the black label shirts are actually half decent or at least a step above the regular label shit and if the black label department if big enough they'll definitely have xs sizes and some decent patterns, for example in toronto eaton store theres always several xs black label shirts to choose from...

The only other shirts I've found that fit me similar or better than those are BoO and Dolce Gabbana Black label which are pretty expensive compared to the price of the black label h&m shirts which always either 50 or on sale for half off.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely have to try those davies chinos out, 'till now I have only tried the wright and kennedy pants which both run anywhere from a 29.5 to 31 in size 28,,,,,,, my biggest problem is definitely waist size since I'm a true 28 but dont like to wear drop crotch pants, and since almost nobody makes anything tagged smaller than that the vanity sizing just kills it for me most times.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

7. Donut

Donut Senior member

Yeah BoO fits me well because i'm skinny and short. I'm not baller though so I cant fill my wardrobe with BoO shirts. I'll try on an H&M one next time i'm in the store. I usually just walk in and look around for about 2 minutes and leave right away though.

8. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

There seems to be quite a lot of clothes on sale at the moment. Some shirts for $19, some linen cardigans for $29, marked down from $129. I just wish their shirts weren't so long, and slim. I suppose they're meant to be tucked in, but during the summer, I tend to not want to have to tuck in my shirt.

9. kraands

kraands Senior member

Anyone checked out the fall lookbook yet?

http://www.clubmonaco.com/072011/lookbook/

I'm not impressed at all. All the coats and pants look super boxy and not slim. Some of the knits look nice though; I'd consider buying a few once they go on sale...

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1, +1. Feel the same BR, CM, Zara...really I think 98% of it is shit. My girlfriend got me a nice cashmere sweater from Zara last year, but I suspect it was overpriced (bless her heart she loves me! :satisfied:) I went in there (Zara) w/ her recently kinda browsing and practically everything was made of synthetics and made in China to boot. uhhhh. Their dress shirts were $400 HKD...why the fuck would I pay that for a shitty dress shirt when I can get one twice as nice, custom made for less?

11. blakhart

blakhart Well-Known Member

Got myself some $19 shirts with an additional 30% off. Can't go wrong with that!

12. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Definitely getting the khakis and the sweatpantish pants with ribbing

13. Donut

Donut Senior member

I want that maroon cardigan

14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

PSA - the Eaton's center location in Toronto has some CRAZY sales, like 3 full racks of $19 shirts and pants, plus a bunch of other stuff. also remember 20% off with a student card...

if people want proxies just PM me.

IC - there's one of those bright yellow rain jackets JKissi rocked a few months back, retail $300, I'll do $200 plus shipping if someone wants. Size Large.

15. Rangoe

Rangoe Well-Known Member

If you find the yellow raincoat in XS, I'll do it!