Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by the_state, Oct 25, 2010.

1. kraands

kraands Senior member

Why do you need a personal shopper?

2. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

It's their alternative to online shopping, I suppose I could make my way to a retail location...

3. Rangoe

Rangoe Well-Known Member

Yes. It's not a real personal shopper, just someone who helps take your order, gives you details, and ships items to you. As someone said, it's the CM version of an online store - for now.

I've found it to be a very valuable service for items that are, say, only available at flagship stores, limited edition items, or when I see something on the website that isn't in stock where I live. If you ask for them, they send you photos, measurements, details, etc, and are generally pretty helpful. Student discounts etc are still valid.

4. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I still don't get it, given that the point, for me, is that the stuff gets marked down so much. I personally couldn't care less about "limited edition" or "limited availability" items from Club Monaco. If you haven't tried it on, that doesn't work either, since half their stuff is cut retardedly and you have to try on a bunch of stuff to find the inexpensive gems.

5. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

I don't mind trying on a bunch of stuff just to find something that works for me. In the end their discounted items are priced low enough to justify searching, assuming you have some free time...

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

So, I visited my local CM (again).

Linen blazers markdown to like ~$80.
    Shirts for $59 and $49.
    Davis chinos for $29 (wow).

I actually tried on their shirts for once.

"classic fit" is boxy and...well, classic. stay away.
    "slim fit" is actually very nice.

Would've paid $50 + 20% off if they had some nice colors, but they didn't (just some crappy blue/turquoises tattersall, checked shirts).
    Didn't try any of the chinos on, but was surprised @ the price. They had a large quantity of stock.

They had a Gitman Vintage copycat shirt (japanese organic horizontal stripe).

7. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

I am not going to use the personal shopper. I am definitely going to have to visit my local CM, though.

8. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

But given the chance to try it out first hand, damn they got some really good cuts. Some shirts and blazers fit incredibly well for me whereas others not so much, and sometimes its from the same model. What's the reason for that?

9. Meis

Meis Senior member

+1 I've got a couple blazers that are cut really well, and the slim fit for the shirts is actually pretty slim... though it varies a bit from shirt to shirt - the current madras shirts are running especially slim- I usually wear a xs in CM shirts and I sized up to a small in the madras and its still about as slim as my BoO smalls and size 1 TB's, and they did a good job making them slim all around - high armholes and no puffing out in the back.
    The pants are more inconsistent though, even in fits of the same name. The "kennedy" pants I have from the winter fit much better than the chinos of the same fit they put out this summer

10. Meis

Meis Senior member

From Choosy Beggars post on the CM sample sale...

?? kind of confused... poorly made and ill fitting? True they aren't of the highest quality...but they're probably at least of the same quality (and probably a bit better) than similar brands like jcrew.

11. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Wow, i really have to check those out, do you have any particular model in mind? Thanks, cause i need more interesting shirts and shirts that i can tuck in without it being a bag at the back... happens to my +J shirts too.

Either they have repeated bad experience with their fits or they are still stuck with the rep/image of club monoco from a few years ago. Honestly, its only been recently that their shirts are being cut slimmer.

I post that this morning on the recent sales thread, but according to my friend, most of it is gone as the last day is tommorow and the sizes are mostly in medium. No wait second day, but the sales seem to have diminished. No polos left, some jackets for size M and L. Prices were legit sample sale prices though.

=(

EDIT: i think i'm gay, i wrote this whole reply and posted before i noticed your avatar

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

12. Rangoe

Rangoe Well-Known Member

You're not getting it - if you're saying that the point for you is that the stuff gets marked down so much, this still applies to the online orders (ie, personal shopper). It's the exact same discounts. I bought a blazer there last month that cost me like 20-something bucks because it was already extremely marked down + student discounts.

It's not that one cares because some items are "limited", but rather because you can cop something cool that you couldn't otherwise get (at a great discounted price if your timing is right). I bought an awesome coat several months back that wasn't available anywhere else. if I didn't like it, I could just return it to a local store, no big loss, but as it happened, I loved it and it fit.

The problem with the personal shopper as a means to online ordering is that you have to send several emails back and forth, and you dont have the convenience of seeing all the inventory online in one go.

13. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Were the Davis chinos on sale for $29 all larger sizes? Anything in 31 or 32? The CM in San Jose only had a couple left and the smallest size was 34.

14. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

They had stacks of chinos in several colors (not 100% certain, but navy, olive, and 2 khaki colors). The stack of olive was like 15 items deep, and there were more on the bottom. I saw like a lot of 32x32, and I found a 31x32 to try on...but then said, forget it...when the shirts didn't work out...

This is the San Fran CM. I'm sure they'll be helpful if you call them up.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

15. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Thanks man. I called them up yesterday actually after seeing your post. I asked the woman and she checked and only told me they had 3 colors, 2 grey and something else I forget. And she said they were all $49 on promotion. I will call again thanks.