• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing storage

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all: I am getting ready to move from San Juan to W. Palm Beach in 2 weeks, and went today to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy some of those vacuum pack storage bags. I'm going to put my suits and dress shirts in there, suck the air out with a vacuum, condense them to shoebox size and arrive with them still ironed.
At least that's the plan, and I know it can be done.

Anyway, does anyone know how long you can keep them in those air-tight storage bags without encouraging mildew? I'd like to get a head start on my packing and get some of the dress shirts packed away, but wonder about the wisdom of keeping them in those bags for 2 weeks. This is a tropical humid climate.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If they truly are airtight then the humidity level in the bag can't change. I wouldn't think mildew would be an issue in that type of storage bag. I'm sure others with more knowledge will comment.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't think it would be an issue either, but a colleague told me she kept her winter stuff in one of those bags, airtight, for 6 months, and when she took them out for a trip north, they reeked of mildew.

mrprlover

Reaction score
I've lived and traveled a many years/times to the Island. It's nice to hear there's at least one person from there.  Question - how long will your clothes be in storage? Will they be stored in San Juan or Florida?

The omnipresent humidity is unescapable regardless of where you live, if you have the house fully a/c'd, or seal things air-tight. Despite your attempts to seal things, you'll still seal humidity. The clothes won't be exactly humid to the touch per se, but humid enough for bacteria to cause damage. I personally wouldn't risk it if they'll be there too long.  

Have you ever stored anything damp, be it a towel or a shirt, together with other dry items and then forgotten about it. When you finally open things up everything is damp and if you waited long enough...well you get the idea. I'd be afraid that because everything is essentially humid in San Juan, you'll be sealing humidity as well. If they'll be in storage for a week MAYBE...but I'd still be wary.

Im not sure how much clothes you have but if it's anything remotely close to what members here have (I don't think I have much but others say I do. Does anyone else get told this?) it might be in your best interest to take it all with you on the flight. Seal it air-tight (it'll allow you to pack more) and pay the additional $80 for an extra luggage piece. (My parents just flew out from San Juan to Miami yesterday and they were nice to the lady who did check-in; they each had 2 pieces over the limit and only paid for one. If you're nice maybe you can get lucky.)  If you're traveling with someone else maybe they can do the same or take something for you. Also...if you're a really good packer you can even put together a box that will qualify as a piece. (Check with your airline to be sure.) My folks did it - mom needed all her work clothes, or so she says.

Or maybe you can put together aforementioned box(es) and send through the mail, express 2-day type thing.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks: I am only packing things for the trip. The most they will be sealed is from next Tuesday to Friday, when they are enroute from SJ to WPB. I'm thnking of sealing my suits and sending them via UPS and carrying 4 or so in a garmet bag. The ironed dress shirts I am going to seal as well as send UPS, and probably use the unironed stuff as padding for the other stuff in the UPS boxes.

mrprlover

Reaction score
I think prlover or some variation thereof was taken; I opted for and added 'mr' in front.
but yeah...PR for the island. The name has double meaning. =]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads