• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing Stagnation Support Group

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I got burned out on MC a while ago, and switched over to watches for a couple years. Now I switched back to MC, but I am certain the pendulum will swing back to watches at some point.

emptym

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I think there's something to what LA Guy and Newcomer said about there always being room to learn and grow. And I don't think this requires adopting styles randomly or creating artificial desires.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good discusion. I had basically stopped buying CM clothes and shoes until recently. Part of this was financial - we've been building a house over the last two years and that took priority over everything else. But it also allowed me to stop and realise that I have more than enough, and I will be cutting back what I have. I still buy interesting SWD pieces, but occasionally - pretty much only for the one month a year we are back in Japan. I've never thought of this as a 'hobby'. I just wanted to dress better and be happy. Now I do, and I am. I don't need to turn this into a treadmill of continuous purchasing and commissioning, and that's where it was going before I was forced to stop.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing it as a hobby can be self destructive, I think. Not for everyone, of course. Some manage it well. But I was heading in that same direction. Stopping and dealing with what you have does make you think of creative combinations to make old things seem new again.
I think that hobbies are not self-destructive, but addictions are. Like all acquisitive hobbies, some can become addicted to the rush of shopping. Some people get into a cycle of excitement-buy-letdown, rinse and repeat. It's easy for some to fall into the hype, and there is hype in classic menswear as well as in streetwear. However, if you have a uniform, which a lot of "industry people have" (especially those behind the scenes) you become much less prone to this, even when you are constantly surrounded by beautiful things.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I think that hobbies are not self-destructive, but addictions are. Like all acquisitive hobbies, some can become addicted to the rush of shopping. Some people get into a cycle of excitement-buy-letdown, rinse and repeat. It's easy for some to fall into the hype, and there is hype in classic menswear as well as in streetwear. However, if you have a uniform, which a lot of "industry people have" (especially those behind the scenes) you become much less prone to this, even when you are constantly surrounded by beautiful things.

Myself I went on a real buying binge all last year and managed to get some great pieces and build a great wardrobe. However, I feel some of that money spent there could have been put to better use esp. since I'm a young professional who is still gaining some footing in the world.

Since I'm potentially going to grad school in the fall and could be living on a much more limited budget I have scaled back my acquisitions since the new year and have only been aiming for things I can get at a resonable price that would fill an exisiting void in my wardrobe/and something that I would get alot of use out of.

Ex. long and shorrt t-shirts that I can get cheaply from the Ralph Lauren outlet or a light gray Made in the USA Jospeh Abboud suit that I got from MW for a less then $200 including tailoring. Since I didn't have these things in my day to day wardrobe before

In terms of this summer I am only looking to add a pair of casual tennis shoes or pair of loafers(maybe)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads