• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing questions

jazz71

Reaction score
I am curently updating my wardrobe. I have some question which I hope you can all answear.

I have bought a brown belt. When I ware jeans, do I need to ware brown dress/casual shoes?

I have t-shirts with funky football logos such as amsterdam, or anthing you would see at american eagle. Should I tuck in my shirt or should I ware it loose and over my belt buckle when I ware jeans?

When I ware a shirt with a floral print and it is collard and black, can I ware a bandana and tie around my neck as a tie?

Should I ware my nice pair of jeans with dress shoes only or could I ware sneekers.

When I ware painters pants, whats the best shoe, dress or sneekers?

When I have a blazer on can I get away with a long sleved dress shirt with no tie worn over the belt or should I tuck in?

Thanks for any insight.

Jazz71

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have bought a brown belt. Â When I ware jeans, do I need to ware brown dress/casual shoes?
Yes, I am certain that you should always match your belt to your shoes when wearing brown or black.
I have t-shirts with funky football logos such as amsterdam, or anthing you would see at american eagle. Â Should I tuck in my shirt or should I ware it loose and over my belt buckle when I ware jeans?
I would leave it untucked, unless you are trying to show off your belt buckle, in which case I would just wear a shirt that is short enough to see the buckle without tucking it in.
When I ware a shirt with a floral print and it is collard and black, can I ware a bandana and tie around my neck as a tie?
I won't stop you, but I won't recommend it either
smile.gif
Should I ware my nice pair of jeans with dress shoes only or could I ware sneekers.
You can wear nice jeans with dress shoes undoubtedly, and this look is coming in. However, I wouldn't wear loafers with jeans. I personally don't like the look of having dress shoes with jeans and a "vintage" t-shirt, but it seems to be acceptable around campus. Watch me roll my eyes as I say this.
I don't know what painters pants are.
When I have a blazer on can I get away with a long sleved dress shirt with no tie worn over the belt or should I tuck in?
Absolutely. Just make sure that the shirt doesn't look like crap when it's untucked. Shirts are made to be tucked in or left out, really not both, but some dress shirts are cut in such a way that they still look alright untucked. Use your own judgement on this one. I hope this helps. Good luck.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Maybe you're young. Maybe your first language is not English. But your spelling is absolutely appalling.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his first language is English. And I agree that his spelling is pretty appalling. I'd suggest the use of a spell-checker, but it's not going to pick up mistakes like his use of "ware" for "wear", although the grammar check might pick it up. I propose that we all use the word "ware" instead of "wear" of all luxury clothing and accessories. It could be styleforum code.

sirhc

Reaction score
Tuck in your shirt. Untucked shirts look sloppy, and people wont take you seriously, esp if you are young.

PS Never take fashion tips from Carson on Queer Eye.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought a brown belt. When I ware jeans, do I need to ware brown dress/casual shoes?

If you are wearing brown shoes, wear the brown belt. You can also just wear some retro trainers with your jeans, and in that case the belt isn't important. Even if you wear black shoes with your jeans, its fine to wear a brown belt if your shirt is untucked (nobody is going to see it). Just make sure that your shoes aren't too dressy.

I have t-shirts with funky football logos such as amsterdam, or anthing you would see at american eagle. Should I tuck in my shirt or should I ware it loose and over my belt buckle when I ware jeans?

Usually I say don't tuck in T-Shirts. Like the previous poster said, you might want to find some shorter T's. If you want to show off your belt buckle, there's a trick you can do where you tuck in the front and let the sides hang out - this looks best with shorter T's though.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd stay away from really dressy shoes with jeans, unless they are plain (no wing tips.) and not too shiny. Also, certain kinds of dress shoes (slip-ons and monk straps) seem to look better with jeans. I'd lean towards sneakers though, especially styles made by Diesel, Puma and Steve Madden - or if you have more money look into Hogan or Dolce & Gabbana.

Painters pants are very casual, so I'd say sneakers.

Yes, but only if the shirt is on the short side. An untucked dress shirt that has long shirt tails would look kind of funny with a blazer over it. If you're wearing this look to the office, don't do it, but if you're going for the cool shirt (untucked), distressed jeans, and casual blazer look then it would look nicer.

gqelements

Reaction score
personally i never tuck in tshirts. if showing off the belt buckle you can just tuck in the front, right behind the belt buckle. [although USHER popularized this, try not to apply this to XXXXXXL shirts, or in general avoid wearing what doesn't fit.]

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tuck in your shirt. Untucked shirts look sloppy, and people wont take you seriously, esp if you are young.
If you are wearing a suit, always tuck in your shirt. If you are wearing a slim shirt with slim flat front pants, and the shirt tail is relatively short, you have the option. If you are wearing a military, work, or western style shirt, no tucking in unless you are in fact in the military, doing construction, or herding cattle. Otherwise, no tucking. No tucking anything into jeans unless you are participating in a rodeo. And anyone who is going to not take you seriously because you don't tuck in your t-shirt or polo shirt is an idiot and definitely not one to be taking style points from.

PS Never take fashion tips from Carson on Queer Eye.
True. The guy gives bad advice about 90% of the time. A loose, tucked in suede shirt? C'mon now.

MikeF

Reaction score
No tucking anything into jeans unless you are participating in a rodeo.

I'm not sure I agree with this advice. One of my favourite looks for summer is a Lacoste golf shirt or slim-cut linen button-up shirt tucked into a pair of well-worn, regular-fit Diesels with driving mocs or modern trainers.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with this advice.  One of my favourite looks for summer is a Lacoste golf shirt or slim-cut linen button-up shirt tucked into a pair of well-worn, regular-fit Diesels with driving mocs or modern trainers.
I think this depends greatly on your body shape, age, and personal style. Arnold Palmer in that GQ picture (April I think) looked like a super badass in a tucked-in polo shirt, whereas I would look like a nerd. I need smaller, shorter shirts untucked.

jazz71

Reaction score
I meant wear not ware, I was in a rush when I posted and did not self correct myself. I appreciate the advice. I am a guy. Its just nice to get a perspective sometimes.

When I said collard, I meant a dress shirt with a collar.
I will really try to watch my spelling, I guess when I type I have a blindside problem. There are some words that I am unsure of and if I do not use them often, I leave it alone.

I should use a spellcheck more.

Jazz71

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads