1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Clothing Pet Peeves - what are yours?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Phil, Nov 2, 2004.

1. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

I wear my Regimental tie with pride, but usually only at specific events where it is appropriate, such as the forthcoming Remembrance Day.

Out of curiosity does this Regimental tie tradition exist in the US?

I believe not. I have never seen or been offered a 1st Cavalry tie. Of course that is a Division not a regiment. Nor have I seen or been offered a 14th ACR (Armored Cavalry Regiment) tie, which was my unit prior to my visit to the jungle of my choice.

To keep this on topic, I have no pet peeve except that most people you see in any large US city have absolutely no sense of style, no matter their dress. I suppose I should not say that so generally, as I spent most of the last 20 years in SF and although it is a great city with some very stylistic citizens the vast majority of people run around in shapeless black clothes not withstanding the season or weather.

Perry

2. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

I suppose that I do have a real pet peeve and it is the current female fad of wearing underwear that shows deliberately.

Also female clothes that are entirely too tight. It can make even the skinny 16 year old look fat and ugly with folds of skin pushing out over the hiphugger too tight jeans.

Do they not know how unflattering and unsexy that is? At my age, glancing at the scenary should be an interesting pastime, but there is no body thin enough for this revolting style.

Perry

3. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

I have only ever seen this once, so I am not sure if it can really count as a clothing peeve, but I would like to nominate men who wear those firearm style shoulder holsters for mobile phones.

I have only seen this once in the flesh, (it was also featured on television when Gareth in "The Office" wore one) but the offence was so serious I thought it worth mentioning.

That was classic!

4. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

I believe not. I have never seen or been offered a 1st Cavalry tie.
    You asked for it bud...
    [​IMG]

Go Doritos!
    [​IMG]

5. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

As much as I have had a laugh at some of the pet hates, I am compelled to suggest that some of you blokes are he most pretentious people I have ever heard of. Sorry.

Some of us come by it honestly.

So, I take it your pet peeve is pretentiousness? Learn to embrace your inner snob.

Some of mine:

-- DB jackets habitually worn unbuttoned.
    -- Stained or frayed ties.
    -- Shoes scuffed beyond repair.
    -- Cheap or clunky or ugly (or all three) shoes or sneakers worn with a suit.
    -- Thick sports watches worn with a suit -- a plastic digital watch should be punishable by death, by a means more gruesome in proportion to its thickness.
    -- Blue tie and blue shirt (facile combination indicative of laziness).
    -- Poor combinations of blue and brown. The two can be combined in shades that are stunning, but are too often mixed so as to induce nausea.
    -- Phony crests.
    -- Conspicuous logos (we can make an exception for the RL Polo pony).
    -- Bling.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I agree with a previous poster. I enjoy the fact that people dress so poorly, it makes guys like us stand-out in a very good way!

As they concern other people, my pet peeves are:

-logo-wear
    -whatever the current trend is, currently the boldly striped or checked shirt, worn un-tucked with jeans and sneakers.[​IMG]

As they apply to myself:

-big armholes are my #1 pet peeve
    -blousy shirts, or shirt cuffs that are too big around the wrist and hang to the palms.
    -RTW in general: it just never fits right.

8. MBB

MBB New Member

Some of us come by it honestly.

So, I take it your pet peeve is pretentiousness? Learn to embrace your inner snob.

Some of mine:

-- DB jackets habitually worn unbuttoned.
    -- Stained or frayed ties.
    -- Shoes scuffed beyond repair.
    -- Cheap or clunky or ugly (or all three) shoes or sneakers worn with a suit.
    -- Thick sports watches worn with a suit -- a plastic digital watch should be punishable by death, by a means more gruesome in proportion to its thickness.
    -- Blue tie and blue shirt (facile combination indicative of laziness).
    -- Poor combinations of blue and brown. The two can be combined in shades that are stunning, but are too often mixed so as to induce nausea.
    -- Phony crests.
    -- Conspicuous logos (we can make an exception for the RL Polo pony).
    -- Bling.

Sorry, no inner snob. I must say however, that I am an arrogant bastard most of the time (not that I have any particular right to be arrogant though)..

Cheers....

9. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

My pet peeves:

Edges of soles that are not maintained.

A little care to clean up the edges of the soles and the little bit of sole on the toe that you see from the front. It can make even decent shoes look ragged.

I love pocket squares, but when they are exploding like a giant magnolia, it seems to imply "the last time i put some accent near here was prom."

Any shoes where the leather puckers or gathers, especially when worn with a suit. This is almost standard attire in academia. Its as bad as those graduation gowns. The person that thought up that outfit ought to be lynched in the campus forum.

after all this, I will admit I'm guilty of the t-shirt showing out the top of my collar.

10. berlin report

berlin report Well-Known Member

some things that cause nausea:

1. sandals worn with socks

2. bum bags or waist bags or whatever they're called

3. pleated bermuda shorts

4. fake leather anything

5. oakley sunglasses (unless you're doing sports while wearing them)

6. novelty socks

7. t-shirts tucked into cycling shorts

8. cycling shorts (unless cycling competitively, obviously)

9. too much perfume/cologne--- i happen to think scents are part of the outfit.

10. uggs --- the ugliest, most unforgivable things on the planet.

Will confess to liking RL polos and flat front chinos although I have never worn them together.

11. kcgreg

kcgreg Well-Known Member

French cuffs exposed without cufflinks.[​IMG]

12. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

You asked for it bud...
    [​IMG]

Go Doritos!
    [​IMG]

My Goodness. I will keep my patch on the right shoulder of my fatigue jacket and forget the tie!!

Perry

13. tiger02

My Goodness. I will keep my patch on the right shoulder of my fatigue jacket and forget the tie!!

Perry

Sorry for going off topic here--you're not one of the guys who wants to redesign the patch so the horsie always faces forward, are you?

Tom

14. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

It bugs me when I'm looking through a book on mens' clothing, and photos have been flipped around, so the buttons, breast pockets etc are all on the wrong sides.

15. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

No socks (except in the country/at the beach)

Jacket sleeves unbuttoned

giant triangle below the last buttoned jkt button - showing end of tie, beltbuckle, shirt puffing out

opera slippers worn as an alternative to standard evening shoes. the slippers were invented for gentlemen to slip into AT THE OPERA, so at least their feet would be comfortable while they sat through three-four hours of screeching altos & sopranos. the slippers are not and never were appropraite for formal dinners, dances, receptions etc.

16. coachvu

coachvu Well-Known Member

abercrombie shirts worn with suits

black chinos

tan socks with khaki pants

those boxes containing a tie and cuff-links with matching swatches of fabric glued on

button-down collars left unbuttoned

17. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

tie dye shirts
    caftans
    jeans with factory produced piss stains and cat whiskers
    prada shoes
    gucci's loafers with the logo stamped all over it
    vertical stripes on a shirt
    people above 35 wearing cargo pants
    those anime-inspired printed short sleeve shirts
    bape apparel
    polyester blended anything
    square toe shoes, of course.

18. tiger02

tan socks with khaki pants
    You'd prefer black? [​IMG]

19. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Well-Known Member

fake pockets (most retarded thing ever, if you want the pocket for fashion you can get a real one and just not use it)

pockets on one side of the jacket, (can't balance things by having a pocket in each side)

velcro pocket flaps (get screwed up in the wash)

dress shoe laces (they look like processed rat crap)

shoddy zippers

tight pants pockets (either have some space to put something in or leave them out)

20. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

Top 10 list Pet peeves

1) Some people (having never seen a keaton collar before) telling me and insisting that it is for bowties.

2) Colleagues asking me why I am wearing a tie when my colleagues go tieless

3) ALWAYS staining my ties.

4) It costing so much to dress the way I want. (Have to replenish that wadrobe regularly!)