1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Clothing Pet Peeves - what are yours?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Phil, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Well-Known Member

BG could be considered a style icon of sorts by some, insofar as he probably wears what he likes and feels comfortable in, and probably doesn't give half a thought to whether or not some customer or another of his approves of his wardrobe.

2. Zubberah

Zubberah Well-Known Member

C'mon ROI. It's just a colour - and the best one at that.

My pet peeves are pretty much similar to the above but stronglky hate:

(1) ugly boring ties from the 60s and 70s (I call them "vomit" ties);

(2) Chinos (US name??) - every stockbroker/investment banker/accountant/lawyer in Australia wears them on their casual days. Urgh.

(3) gen X fashion trends - cannot believ the baggy jeans, striped shirt, untucked look is STILL fashionable in Australia.

(4) guys wearing French cuff shirts without cufflinks and the cuff unfolded so it covers their entire hand. Usually matched with baggy jeans.

3. DennyB

DennyB Member

From OnTheMark:

Over on WCBS, they have this new sports guy Chris Wragge who just moved here from LA and has not made the wardrobe adjustment...he has these strange, tiny collars on his shirts..is this some LA style I am not hip to? Also, he wears these unbelieveably loud sportcoats (at least I HOPE they are sportcoats...God help us all if the pants under the desk match), like a bold red and green pattern...looks like he is about to host a 1970s Xmas special.
    I agree with you about Chris Wragge.... but poor fashion sense didn't keep 1997 Playmate of the Year Victoria Silverstedt from marrying him. He used to work in Houston, and I was shocked to find out that he was married to her.

Fashion/clothing pet peeves:

- "Trucker caps" a la Ashton Kutcher ---> "just say no"
    - casual shoes that look like bowling shoes
    - men: T-shirts that fit too tightly
    - straight-legged jeans with boots (Kenneth Cole says he likes this look, though)
    - men: dress shirts worn as causal/not tucked in... if you want that look, buy the shirts that are cut to be worn that way
    - men: brown shoes with black pants/jeans
    - Mostly men: shoes and belt do not match
    - generally, the 'sloppy'/unkempt trend among younger persons (ill-fitting clothes, 'bed head' hair, scruffy facial hair
    - snow boots worn by women as a fashion statement
    - men: suits that do not fit well
    - men: excessively baggy jeans
    - poor line or drape of jeans over shoes/boots
    - button-down collared shirts when wearing a suit and tie
    - short-sleeved dress shirts - no such thing.

4. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

I was in the infantry myself and I don't have a problem at all with people wearing surplus military clothing...to a point. I'm not pleased when people wear ranks on their surplus but I have to draw the line when they wear the insignia of specific units or services. I had to work very hard to earn the priviledge to wear my cap badge and unit patches and I find it insulting that others would wear them as a fashion symbol.

5. Kai2

Kai2 New Member

While I quite agree with you--as I find this happening to myself when I look in the mirror in the washroom--how does one not get the knot slipping, exposing the collar? Other than a cross knot, my knots slip.

6. wja

wja Well-Known Member

Firearm safety is no joke. Remember that there are people who don't want us to have guns.

7. j

j Well-Known Member

I guess there's nothing for it. I'm going down to my gun safe right now and put a 230-grain jacketed hollow point .45 slug through my brain. Farewell, cruel Style Forum.
    Firearm safety is no joke. Â Remember that there are people who don't want us to have guns.
    For safety's sake, please lock yourself in the gun safe before any shooting. Obligatory pet peeve: I HATE those gold and black onyx rings, usually worn by extremely pale white men. So bad.

8. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Di, di di di di di, what a disgrace Dr Jan. You should be ashamed of yourself kind sir. [​IMG]

9. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Grafitti clothing. l am sick of all the sheep who wear this on their pants or shirts. Can't anyone be original anymore. [​IMG] l also h8 Ugg boots (stupid poorly made boots have a glued on rubber sole, yuk.). Stupid fools. l also h8 button down collars.

10. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Guys, mark it down in the books, because this is the first and possibly last time I'm gooing to admit this- I totally agree with Marc on these. Every day I see hundreds of girls wearing those stupid Ugg boots on campus. I cannot stand the sight of them, especially the pink ones.

Button bown collars aren't my thing, although I do have a couple shirts with them, both of which were given as gifts. On one I don't really use the buttons, which I noticed was someone else's pet peeve. Its a more casual shirt, not really made to be dressed up, so I think I get away with it alright. The other one I never undo the buttons on. C'et la vie.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

i'd be driving you nuts in that case.

casual shoes that look like VINTAGE bowling shoes rule

12. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

l hate bow tied men in cheap suits and even cheaper rubber sole shoes. [​IMG] Â [​IMG] Â [​IMG] Also, l h8 academics that dress poorly in cheap unappropiate clothing. l also h8 men in jeans that wears puffy shirts. l am peeved by `Made in China' clothing. P.S: pink ugg boots suck majorly. P.S.S: rubber sole loafers are the most foul things possible. They are my pet hate. Suited men wearing [poor quality] rubber sole loafers should be horsewhipped and shot at dawn.

13. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

gee, Marc, how do you really feel about academics wearing cheap suits with rubber soled loafers? [​IMG]

14. ROI

ROI Well-Known Member

Two shades of green worn together.

15. Kaga

Kaga Well-Known Member

Also, those white contrast-collar and cuffs shirts on most men -- if my memory serves me correctly, they are very Bill Lumberg from Office Space ("What's happening?").  Unless one is Tom Wolfe, or some unironic 50+ London banker, don't do it.

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

disagree completely. I like them a lot. I'm not sure I even understand your argument as to why they don't look good

17. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Now, don't get me started. It seems that we can have our own web site just for pet peeves. I would categorize most of our pet peeves as mere symptoms of the CASUAL CANCER which has run rampant not only in our clothing but our manners and morals. Some examples: 1. Men in suits wearing knapsacks instead of carrying attache cases. 2. Men who use shoulder straps on their carry cases which totally distort the line of the suit and the shoulders. 3. Grown men wearing baseball hats with suits or even black tie. I saw a very distinguished public servant from a very fine and old family wear an NYPD baseball hat with black tie. 4. Cheap, clunky, and boxy shoes which make Frankenstein's shoes look like Lobb bespoke. 5. Shoe salesmen who will do anything to make a sale including the classic line that it can be worn for both dress and casual. 6. Men who are overweight parading around the streets in exercise suits. 7. Grown men wearing baseball jackets. I saw a picture of Henry Kissinger wearing a Yankees jacket. He looked ridiculous. 8. Men wearing those skimpy Italian sports shoes with suits. I'm going to stop now on doctor's order. My blood is boiling... [​IMG]

18. j

j Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be cathartic. Let it out.

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Ugg's are absolutely disgusting.

Various shades of balck worn together at an attempt to emulate a New Yorker or fashionista is terrible as well.

20. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Check out this millionaires get up. [​IMG] This guys been wearing the same suit for a week (every day in the newspaper he wears this suit).