Clothing Pet Peeves - what are yours?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Phil, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Me too, I'm afraid I'm an egregious violator of Phil's #1 pet peeve [​IMG] koji

2. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I must plead guilty to the "updated American jackass" look (untucked striped shirt with distressed boot cut jeans), although I at least do it with chelsea boots instead of Kenneth Cole sneakers or square-toed monstrosities. It's actually not that typical where I live, khakis and polos are unfortunately much more common.

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Jesus. For some of you the rod up your ass has a rod up its ass. Lighten up.

That said, I get irked when I see people wearing shirts that are far too large for them. You know what I mean: shoulder seam two or three inches below the shoulder and material billowing all around them. The people who wear shirts far too large for them always seem to be skinny lads...gents, it isn't working.

4. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior member

I don't like button down shirts.

5. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Very enjoyable topic gents. Now for my pet h8s:

1. Baseball caps (male cap wearers over 30 should be taken out to the paddock and shot, they are a useless waste of space).

2. Rubber soled shoes, sneakers (outside of physical activity).

3. Polyestor ties, short ties, novelty ties, monogram ties, ties that haven't been done up properly, ties worn with leather jackets.

4. Fake clothing.

5. Men that wear tartan kilts. (Scottish dress)

6. Polo tops. (Real men don't wear polo).

7. Shoes with no socks.

8. Tassle loafers. (l absolutely hate them and see no point in them).

9. Short sleeved dress shirts.

P.S: l do wear square toe shoes on occasions but they are welted (reasonable quality). Prada is the least quality square toed shoe l have.

P.S.S: Can someone please post a picture of a collar stay.

6. marc37

marc37 Senior member

This is abit off topic but l am amazed at the decency of the people on this forum. Very nice and helpful people.

7. Phil

Phil Senior member

Im sorry Koji about the unintentional diss, but let me ask you, since I have never asked anyone else who unbuttons functional buttonholes - why do you do it? Obviously there is no reason to do so, at least in my mind, except to show off the fact that you have functional buttonholes. and dont misunderstand, I MUST have functional buttonholes on all my suit and sport jackets, but thats just for me, not for other people to view. I mean no disrespect, I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts, and think you have plenty more knowledge than I do about most things clothing wise, but I just dont get the whole unbuttoning thing.

8. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Well, two reasons; I like the look (I undo the first and third button if it's four buttons, just the first if it's three), and I have had the unfortunate occasion that in a piece that cross-hands the outermost button has clicked against the keys [​IMG] koji PS: And please don't worry about ever insulting me; 25 years in the crazy world of classical music has given me a pretty thick skin, haha.

9. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

And I second the tasseled loafer pet peeve; as I've stated before, every time I see one, I just imagine how much better the shoe would look without the tassle.

koji

10. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I've never done it myself, but I've seen a few people with obviously custom-made clothing whereon the jacket sleeves taper to a very narrow opening at the wrist - when wearing button cuffs, this is fine, but with French cuffs, the buttons have to be opened so as not to crush said cuffs. Of course, these people have manufactured their own excuse, but I still think it looks cool...

11. Phil

Phil Senior member

Fair enough Koji, we agree to disagree. I do agree however about the tassel loafers, id like to run through NYC with a pair of scissors cutting off all said tassels in my path.

Nick - anyone who has to unbutton the cuffs of his jacket to make room for his french cuffs needs to get french cuffs that arent as large.

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Well, some people like their cuffs VERY tapered; if I were ever to get a bespoke suit, that's an issue I would very careful consider (another reason I like neapolitan suits is the tapering), as I don't like having my jacket sleeve flapping around when I'm playing.

koji

13. Phil

Phil Senior member

Im actually one of those people, I really hate roomy suit cuffs. Because of that, I get my french cuffs sized to fit.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I guess excessively roomy suit sleeves is a pet peeve then, haha.

koji

15. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l'd like to do the same thing Phil (go around and cut all the tassles off the loafers [with scissors]). [​IMG]