Clothing Pet Peeves - what are yours?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Phil, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I limit myself to men attempting to wear suits assuming the question doesn't include people in tee shirts and flip flops. That's a different world altogether.

-Short sleeved shirts with city suits
    -Suits worn with the maker's label still attached to the sleeve
    -Lug soled shoes with city suits
    -Open shirt collars with suits
    -Exposed calf between sock and trouser
    -The dark shirt and matching necktie atrocity
    -Dirt of any kind
    -Baseball caps

Will

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I've always worn Hermes ties and have never used them as a "badge". I leave badges to those in the law enforcement profession. But you are right that many Hermes tie wearers are far too lazy to try to change this habit. [​IMG]

3. wja

wja Well-Known Member

baggy trousers half-stuffed into a pair of wellies

nylon athletic-wear..pants with an elastic waist and multiple stripes down the leg

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

-Blousy shirts, with a bunch of extra fabric puffing out around, or better, hanging over, the waistband. A variation of this is the "Seinfeld", where the puffy shirt is tucked into tight jeans.

-Anything 'gangsta' or gangsta-derived, including way too big pants, shirts with the shoulder seam hanging 8" off the shoulder, etc

-Anything with a designer's name or logo on it, where the name or logo is meant to impress me with the wearer's taste. Exceptions only for things unavailable sans logo.

-The Fidel hat. Probably a local thing only. I thought it was dead, but I have been informed and confirmed that it is indeed still the scene hat of choice for many.

-Big plasticky sunglasses with anything other than big plasticky clothes (i.e. actual clothing for sports).

-Any "sport" clothing worn as casual wear. See 'gangsta' above.

I could go on, but why bother...

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

What have you against Thom Browne?

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Oh, must add - guys who wear their tapered jeans so short that their socks (usually white) show above their chunky and uniformly hideous Eccos or Born shoes. This is not exclusively an American look - German businessmen have adopted it for their own.

7. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

So-called tailors like Thom Browne, Ozwald Boateng, Spencer Hart et al
    What have you against Thom Browne?
    That he sells a suit for 4 grand (that's a lot of yen) which is essentially a gimmicky 60s cut. It's a ridiculous price for a piece of ready-to-wear that makes almost any man look like he bought his suit in the Sears Boys' section. The genius is more in the huge markup than in his design.

8. Tom

Tom Senior member

I think all black is also okay on Executioners and Judges.

Oh yah, and Ninja.

9. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

The SS pulled it off fairly well too.

I suggest that is a good reason why we should avoid all black.

Leave it to the New Zealand Rugby team.

10. LA Guy

I agree. I like some of his designs, but he is completely overhyped and overpriced. Seriously, for that kind of money, I'll buy Helmut Lang *and* Dior Homme and get a 60s look *and* an 80s new wave look

11. gregory

gregory Senior member

Hey there's nothing wrong with this. I like wearing my polo-shirts, chinos, leather belt (croc imprint) and boat shoes during the appropriate seasons.

12. LA Guy

Oh no, there is a lot wrong with this.  Unless you are actually on a boat, no boat shoes.  And not croc imprint belt either - real croc or nothing.  And croc belts are too formal with this outfit.  Try a canvas or ribbon belt or something.  Please do not tell me that you tuck in your polo shirt.  That is only marginally acceptable if you are 1) a professional golfer, or 2) a pro sports coach.  

Anyone with pleated chinos: put them through a shredder.  Repeat.

13. gregory

gregory Senior member

Hey there's nothing wrong with this. I like wearing my polo-shirts, chinos, leather belt (croc imprint) and boat shoes during the appropriate seasons.
    Oh no, there is a lot wrong with this. Â Unless you are actually on a boat, no boat shoes. Â And not croc imprint belt either - real croc or nothing. Â And croc belts are too formal with this outfit. Â Try a canvas or ribbon belt or something. Â Please do not tell me that you tuck in your polo shirt. Â That is only marginally acceptable if you are 1) a professional golfer, or 2) a pro sports coach. Â Anyone with pleated chinos: put them through a shredder. Â Repeat.
    I do tuck in my polo shirt, whether they are worn with chinos or chino shorts. I like going around the city on a fine spring/summer day with my polo shirt tucked into my chino shorts and boat shoes without socks. Sorry I dissapointed you.

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love these threads, because by the time they fade away, everybody will have something they wear dissed (er, disrespected.) I've been nailed a couple of times already. [​IMG]

15. Tom

Tom Senior member

A Harris, Agreed, I consider myself a preppy. I believe that people like me have suffered "dim mak" at this point in the thread [​IMG] Although I do not own any J Crew clothes, I think that their catalog is great. Gregory, I have to agree with a couple of points mentioned above. As a self proclaimed preppy, let me say that polo shirts are not meant to be tucked in, and maybe a grosgrain belt would be in order? Try it, you may like it. -tom