Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Clothing Ideas You'd Do If You Were A Clothes Designer

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by naaaaate, Apr 17, 2008.

1. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

I love clothing like crazy but my own artistic output is elsewhere and I've never touched a sewing machine in my life. However I do come up with ideas every once in a while that I kind of wish I could realize but I won't ever so I'll post them here and if you want to you can too! Or you can make fun of my ideas, either way [​IMG]

Anyways we all love how jeans fade thanks to indigo being such an "imperfect" dye and fading/rubbing off very quickly, so why keep it just to jeans? I'm sure this has been done in some form or another, but I was thinking a thick gingham shirt where the colored threads of the gingham were indigo dyed so they would age sweet and the indigo would rub off on the white parts and it'd look neat.

Indigo corduroy is another thing I was thinking. The whole thing would start out indigo-ed, then as it got worn the indigo in the wale would quickly fade but the indigo in the fabric behind the wale (can't remember what its called) would stay dark making a neat contrast.

Someone has probably done these things but they were the first things I thought of when posting this thread, you can post your own ideas if you want!

2. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Beveled jeans, cut out collars on polo and dress shirts.

3. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

^^
    Biter...

4. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

Everybody makin fun of that dude is probably going to push him from normal insane to violent insane and he's going to become a serial killer who makes sartorially groundbreaking corpses that have large holes cut out of them. New Eric Glennie cut-out stomache torsos, show off those intestines! Dare to murder different - EG.

5. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

huh? I don't know who you are talking about. My ideas are 100% new and innovative, name one designer in menswear who offers unique polo collars and cut out jeans!

6. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

Welp; you had a warning, I hope you like being an innovative cut-out eye and bevel leg-stump with severed drop-ass ass neohuman.

7. Studio27

Studio27 Senior member

huh? I don't know who you are talking about. My ideas are 100% new and innovative, name one designer in menswear who offers unique polo collars and cut out jeans!

they're patented. now go pay your royalties! [​IMG]

8. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

I'd keep things simple. Allow me to demostrate: take this existing Schott perfecto jacket, keep the construction and hide quality but cut off the shoulder cuffs, get rid of all the pockets, get rid of the collar buttons, and change all the hardware from silver to copper.

By the way, I asked Schott to do this for me and they told me to FUCK OFF.

[​IMG]

9. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

[​IMG] It IS called the perfecto.

Most of the time, I'd just make some button downs that actually FIT. Which is why I'm getting a sewing machine. Srsly.

10. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Whoa, there el capitan, hold the revolution: isn't a collarless polo called a henley and a collarless dress shirt called a band collar?

11. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

This sounds like a job for the notorious BlackScissors...

12. Philosoph

Philosoph Senior member

I'd make flat front pants with frogmouth pockets a la TaT in order to eradicate that stupid pocket/hip bulge on flat fronts and (I think) reduce the need for pleated pants.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Most of the time, I'd just make some button downs that actually FIT. Which is why I'm getting a sewing machine. Srsly.

The bane of my existence.

If you get one, try taking some cheap OTR shirts that fit in the shoulder and simply make some alterations to make them fit. You'll be surprised at what you can make to fit you without going fully 'from-scratch'.

14. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

^ Oh yeah, I'll be doing that for a while just for practice anyways. The thrift store will be my friend. Do you do our own alterations?
    Whoa, there el capitan, hold the revolution: isn't a collarless polo called a henley and a collarless dress shirt called a band collar?
    Not if you do it the proper Eric Glennie way. And by that I mean, completely insane. Sorry, someone had to explain it to people who missed the reference.

15. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

^ Oh yeah, I'll be doing that for a while just for practice anyways. The thrift store will be my friend. Do you do our own alterations?

Yep. Bought a cheap sewing machine later last year and have been mostly tailoring my own shirts since. Most size-small shirts fit in the shoulder, but billow out like a balloon in the torso. I simply could not buy shirts that fit me very well without spending hundreds of dollars for a shirt....so I spent a hundred bucks on a sewing machine and it made up for the cost within ~4 or 5 shirts worth of tailoring.

Jesus, whatever you do....do NOT cut out any of the extra fabric you have in the shirt! Leave it so if you screw up the shape of the shirt, you can bust the seam and reshape it. You WILL screw up.....a lot.