Clothing for taller guys

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by fivetwentyfive, Jan 10, 2007.

1. fivetwentyfive

fivetwentyfive Member

I've recently decided to start giving a damn about my appearance, and have a question for the taller guys in the forum..

Do you know of any brands that cater to those of above-average height, but who aren't really wide? I'm looking for primarily tshirts, polos, sweaters, etc. I'm set for jeans for the time being (recently acquired some APC Rescues and Ande Whall Cougars).

I've managed to find quite a bit of clothing that's more than long enough at Big and Tall stores, but they always fit like I'm wearing a tent.

Also, a few skateboard company clothing lines offer 'slim-fit' versions of their shirts, but those tend not to be long enough.

Price is not an issue, and any help would be appreciated.

2. nino

nino Well-Known Member

For blank t shirts Ive settled on American Apparel 50/50 Ts. They are nice and soft and more than long enough. Avoid at all costs though their 100% cotton t shirts. They shrink about 5000% and end up fitting my 6'5" frame like a tube top.
    For other basics like hoodies, sweaters, etc Banana Republic, J Crew, and Gap all offer many things in "tall" sizes.

Other than that Im about as clueless as you are and would be interested to hear any other info.

3. fivetwentyfive

fivetwentyfive Member

Problem is, I am beyond 7ft tall so I need REALLY long stuff. Also, Gap and all that don't offer tall sizes in canada (where I live).

My brother has an american apparel polo that's long enough and pretty slim, but I've heard some bad things about the quality of that company.

4. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

I've heard some bad things about the quality of that company.

[​IMG]

5. deputamadre

deputamadre Senior member

Problem is, I am beyond 7ft tall

Play basketball and get a few nice sponsors.

6. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Play basketball and get a few nice sponsors.
    +1 Of course, if price isn't an issue, I'd wear mostly tailored shirts. I realize they're not quite the same as polos and/or sweaters, but you can substitute, say, a short-sleve button-up for a polo. If you get some in vintage-looking patterns and wear them wrinkly, it definitely works as a casual/streetwear look. I would avoid sweaters, frankly - I'm in a somewhat similar boat, in that I have a medium neck and chest and XL-length arms, and I either wear cheap sweaters with the sleeves pushed up or just avoid them altogether. Unfortunately, I don't really think there's a magic bullet in your case.

7. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Dude, over 7' you're kind of screwed unless you're going bespoke. I am about 6'3" and I'm at the extreme edge of what most designer brands are capable of supporting with out of the box sizing.

8. fivetwentyfive

fivetwentyfive Member

I just wish Big and Tall stores realized that being really tall AND being really fat doesn't go hand-in-hand.

Also, I played basketball in college. Wasn't really my thing.

9. knucks

knucks Senior member