• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing for Asian and Indian guys? Discuss here.

Python

Reaction score
Sounds just like another high-contrast ensemble, only with a slight palette shift. Neat combination, though.

Anyway, IMO the jacket style and detailing are the safest things to play around with. Personally, I've never been a fan of the all-too-common short, black nylon zip-up jacket. Change the jacket (not necessarily the colour) and you have a totally different look - a black motorcycle-style leather jacket conveys a totally different image to a black suede trenchcoat or a three-quarter-length cashmere peacoat. I also like changing the shirt colour and detailing (red and purple are personal favourites); adding a sweater to the combination changes things too and can modulate the contrast to an extent.

Regarding other colours, I also like camel (the bolder, more saturated tones anyway) but don't know how it would look on me. A white silk sports jacket (with silver detailing) also grabs people's attention in the right setting. I wouldn't dump the clean, dark indigo, fitted bootcut jeans, though - after all, it's a modern staple that looks good with just about anything.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For China, the Shanghai populace has the history and reputation for dressing well and feeling themselves better out of all the other cities for doing so. The cheong-som was invented in Shanghai.

However, when I was in China this winter, I did notice there was a certain sophistication in dress for some people. The emphasis is on some as most were either tackily attired or simply terribly.

Mainland China now has several outlets for Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garçons and other more difficult sorts of labels as well as two Silvano Lattanzi shops.

There also seems to be a conscious preference in Hong Kong for the Japanese, Dutch, and Belgian designers although many people taint their outfits with something like a hideous Gucci canvas bag.

However, what I've noticed were the popularity of Cutler & Gross type frames. I think they all copied me.

lockey2k

Reaction score
Let this thread die in peace
smile.gif

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
Let this thread die in peace
smile.gif

I second that. There's enough social elitism going on in this forum (check my bling thread and some others)... no need to bring out the underlying racism as well.. Let it die and be in the backburner so it will "seem" to not be there.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread wouldn't be bad if you cut out some posts by non-East Asians and non-Indians.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
This thread wouldn't be bad if you cut out some posts by non-East Asians and non-Indians.

Again..let's try to act like the "racism" isn't there (even though we know it is)..(it's a two way street)

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
Again..let's try to act like the "racism" isn't there (even though we know it is)..(it's a two way street)

It'd be nice if you could post something constructive for a change.

Being Asian myself, I find this topic, save for a few posts with obvious elitist undertone, very helpful. Keep it coming guys..

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
It'd be nice if you could post something constructive for a change.

Being Asian myself, I find this topic, save for a few posts with obvious elitist undertone, very helpful. Keep it coming guys..

My posts are constructive, they're meant to correct those same "obvious elitest undertones" that you speak of...so people can "keep it coming"

Kid609

Reaction score
Regarding the original poster,

Asians, especially south Asians, look great with gold jewelry.

They don't look as great with silver jewelry.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I deviate a lot from the norm or the conventions of good dressing, but I'm Japanese, and have a strong preference for pastel colored shirts (light blues, violets, and pinks) and earth tones in my jackets and trousers (ranging from camel to a lot of chocolate brown). I even like burnt orange for accessories.

Non-sequitor:
Paul Stuart, FWIW, does most of their business in Asia.

cravatier

Reaction score
Well, the only thing common among the groups you cite is black hair. Skin tone throughout Asia varies widely.

Black and white should work fine for all, because of the black hair.

Camel works fine on many Asians. In fact, it can be especially flattering, I think.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Im doing the brown monochromatic look today in the what are you wearing thread...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid609
Regarding the original poster,

Asians, especially south Asians, look great with gold jewelry.

They don't look as great with silver jewelry.

Hmm, that probably has more to do with darker skin tones though. I would look sickly with gold but on my father whose skin tone is much darker than mine it looks much better. Same with pink shirts. I like them, they don't like me.

ikemen

Reaction score
This Asian Guy Look Good??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads