• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing for a V-Taper (athletic body) WANT SUGGESTIONS

theprinciple

Reaction score
Recently I've committed a lot of time to working out, and I'm quickly approaching my dream body (I'm in between Brad Pitt's Fight Club and Ryan Gosling's Crazy Stupid Love body at the moment - wider shoulders than Gosling, kind of like Brad Pitt - not as muscular as Ryan, but a little more than Brad Pitt). I'd like to know what kind of clothes would compliment my body well, cause when I wear my older clothes, the fabric just hangs loose around the midsection, and in the mirror from the back you can't see any V-taper (the clothes just hang down straight) whereas with my shirt off it's very apparent. I also wear V-necks from time to time, and it does somewhat the trick (a lot more women check me out when I'm wearing them), but I'd like to try out different styles.

So, I'd like to know what I could wear (brand, model, etc.), and where to buy it. I'm looking for t-shirts, dress shirts, and polo shirts, but feel free to suggest anything else that would look good.

Thanks!

ckprax

Reaction score
Get shirts that fit in the shoulders and chest than have darts added to take in the waist.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't might polyester, American Apparel tri-blend shirts hug the body very well. They are probably my best fitting shirts. Their normal cotton ones aren't bad either.

Polos shirts: Polo Ralph Lauren custom fit, or Kent Wang.

Dress shirts, you will probably have to buy something slim fit and them have them taken in or have darts added (as above).

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen Fight Club, and I have no clue who Ryan Gosling is. I'm a little disturbed by how much thought and detail you put into describing their bodies though. Here's some general advice:

If you really are athletically built with a slim waist, then stop buying rtw shirts/jackets or put aside some money for alterations. I learned that pretty early. Hopefully, you will too.

Stiva

Reaction score
Dear TP

There are a number of ways in which you may draw attention to your newly acquired physique whilst retaining your current wardrobe.

Should you sense that a woman is checking you out but is uncertain about the true quality of the package, can I suggest that you invite her back to your pad, remove your shirt, and reenact the iconic scene from Dirty Dancing. She may initially be resistant but will ultimately appreciate your purity of your purpose. That should do the trick.

For those of the male gender who seem either unconvinced or unaware of your transformation, you should repair to the closest available basement, again remove your shirt, and punch each other repeatedly in the face. That should dispel any numbness you feel as a result of your engagement with modern society. I would say more, but the first rule of athletic body club is that we don't talk about athletic body club.

Failing that, can I suggest a tight T-shirt with a liberal component of Lycra. Hope this helps.

Stiva

DrZeus

Reaction score
This thread stinks of narcissism and grandiose expectations of others to fulfill one's ego.

Garasaki

Reaction score
The heart of the OP's question is valid, yet rather vague.

I can say that I went through 99% of my life purposely buying clothing that did not fit correctly. Once I had developed my fitness to a level that allowed some confidence in the way my body looked, I slowly went about trying on some clothes that fit correctly...

The difference in how the clothes look on me, how I look in the clothes, and how I FEEL in the clothes that fit correctly, is absolutely astounding.

You'll see people preach it here all the time. Fit, fit, fit, and fit....

OP, go visit a tailor. Tell him you want a shirt that accentuates your V shape, then LISTEN to what he says. It might take you trying out a few tailors before you find one that really does what you want.

Or go to a store and devote 2 hours to trying on different fits - look for slim fit, extra slim fit, classic fit, athletic fit, different brands. Start noticing the difference of how the clothes look on you - don't worry about colors or patterns, only look at fit. Start figuring out what it is that you need.

You'll look great in shirts or suitcoats that fit right. You just have to go find them.

ctp120

Reaction score

This thread stinks of narcissism and grandiose expectations of others to fulfill one's ego.

Welcome to Styfo.

This thread desperately needs a Voxian derailing. (May he rest in peace).

Last edited:

emmaalison

Reaction score
Shop some athletic polos that fits to your body especially on that matter you have to take care of your shoulders. I might think your body structure suits polos from Adidas.Hanes & Augusta because they are so reliable to use and can easily be shop online from authentic company such as American Apparel, ApparelnBags etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads