• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing and life

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I believe that the way I dress is a manifestation of my personality, or perhaps more accurately, the personality and lifestyle that I wish to portray. For example, I spent much of my life either dressed "gothic" (when I was younger, around 14), "sk8 punk" (from about 16-18), or rockabilly (18-19). Â These were outward showings of my tastes at those times: in music, art, and culture. Â They were also statements as to what social group I wished to belong. The current way I dress is a more homogonized style. Â It's far from mainstream, but it's a more a mix of the previous influeces mentioned, with a dose of class and gentlemanly style thrown in. Â I believe it reflects that I've finally found my own style, both with my clothing and appearance, and within. Â It's also a more unique style, that I use to reflect my interests: music, art, tattoos, etc. Â And, yes, it's still an attempt to state which social group I wish to make an alliance with. Â However, whereas before it was a more blatant proclamation, my current style is more of a general product of my inherent desire to express my art in all elements of my life and appearance. I think that my recent move towards a more tailored "put-together" look is in direct response to my rather dramatic self-transformation (I've lost 65 pounds since last summer or so). Â I express my newfound inner confidence through more flattering threads. Ohhh, and the biggest reason...the chicks dig it. Â
biggrin.gif
Sorry for the length, but this is a subject I've been thinking a lot about lately.

dug

Reaction score
being well dressed is a way to look like more professional, more serious, more wealthy in order to obtain easily what you want from others
dug: Are there instances when you suspected that you were treated better or worse because of the way you dress?
Of course. What you dress is essential in how people are with you

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are there instances when you suspected that you were treated better or worse because of the way you dress?
Here's a little anecdote:

One day a long while back I had to appear in court and was well-turned out in a suit, and at the end of the day went to my friend's house and we were going to go out. We were I think 19 or 20 years old. We decided that he would go get a suit and tie on and we would go hit a bar with our real IDs. The reasoning being that we figured if we looked rich and well-behaved the bouncer might not even notice our IDs said we were underage.

So we drove out to a nice club a while away and walked in, strode right up to the bouncer and produced our real IDs. I looked him right in the eye and he looked back between me and my ID at least four times, during which time I'm sure he read my age. He kind of smirked, handed back my ID and let me in. He did the same for my friend.

And of course we were very well-behaved.

I can think of numerous times that wearing a suit and looking sharp has gotten the attention of waiters, bartenders, and just people in general.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, we had fun.
smile.gif

FCS

Reaction score
You have to be 21 to hit a bar there?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yep. Vancouver's not a very long drive, so we would go up there for a weekend now and then but it's 21 everywhere in the US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads