• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing advice for a big man

orlandomike

Reaction score
I am a big guy. I have always had a hard time finding a look that "works" for me, casually, and find myself wearing a lot of baggy clothes. I think the baggy clothes are making the problem worse by making me look sloppy as well.

What advice, other than to wear black, do you have for me to enhance my casual look?

I live in florida, so I wear a lot of shorts and short sleeve shirts.

Thanks!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good point about baggy clothing giving off a sloppy impression - it probably adds to the pre-existing bias about heavy people being slovenly. To answer your question.... medium- and large-scale patterns, generally not horizontal stripes. Design details (buttons, pockets) can make major differences. Quality shoes (not sandals) help counter the bias. Pictures would say a lot and allow for more specific tips.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlandomike
I am a big guy. I have always had a hard time finding a look that "works" for me, casually, and find myself wearing a lot of baggy clothes. I think the baggy clothes are making the problem worse by making me look sloppy as well.

What advice, other than to wear black, do you have for me to enhance my casual look?

Thanks!

I am a fairly bigger dude too (see WAYWRN or adabraka-sartorialist.tumblr.com for pics). I know Florida gets warm so i'll not get into too much chatter about sports coats and suits and such.

1. Invest in some chinos. Get maybe three different shades and then take them in to a tailor to have them tapered. Again, check out WAYWRN or do a search on here for ideal fit. You will find many pictures on how pants should fit. Have your tailor replicate that, in a way which fits you right and still makes you comfortable.

2. Invest in some polos (if you are a polo kind of guy) or dress shirts. They are better than t-shirts and will up your fits a notch. I personally detest short sleeved shirts. I would buy long sleeves and roll them up neatly. Also, take your shirts to your tailor and have them slimmed down (usually in the body and sleeves).

3. Invest in a couple nice leather shoes (one brown, one black), with belts to match. I dont think to start out you want to spend more than 100 - 150 on them. Search the Buying and Selling forums, as well as eBay for some deals. You can typically find Allen Edmonds on sale. Its a good entry shoe.

4. Realize/Understand that this can be an expensive hobby. Dont rush into things. Have your tailor fix one thing, and make sure it is done right before giving him/her more. Avoid shopping online till you have tried the item in a store and know how it fits, or you have really good measurements. Try and buy from online sources that accept a return so you wont be burnt too often.

5. Finally, hit up the gym every now and then. it would make you feel good and look good.

good luck.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a "big man," button-fronts that fit well and aren't stereotypical "big man" styles (e.g., Hawaiian shirts) usually look better than polo shirts.

Sazerac

Reaction score
My guess is the shorts aren't doing you many favors. It creates yet another unwelcome horizontal line and exposes a whole lotta leg.

If you can break yourself of the shorts habit, do so. People can wear long pants in FL year 'round. British soldiers in North Africa managed to look pretty kempt and comfortable in full-length khakis, so you can too. I'd start there -- a few pairs of chinos, some lightweight trousers -- and move on to tucked in shirts. Buttons would help as they'd add a strong vertical line.

Just my thoughts.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There's a bunch of stuff to keep in mind, not only body shape and weight, but also length, shape of face etc. It's a science.
smile.gif

There are several good books to help you out with this, one I like is "Dressing The Man" by Alan Flusser. There's a lot of good pointers and tips for all kinds of body shapes/face shapes.

I know everyone does not have privilege to do this, so excuse me if I sound like a douchbag, but if you have the budget for it please consider any of the many made-to-measure options that should be available in Florida. Get a few linen trousers (very comfy and cool in a tropical climate) without turn-ups (turn-ups/cuffs will make your legs look more compact) and some nice made-to-measure vertically striped shirts and you have come a long way.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear 8oz wool trousers in the summer. Does the trick. A fresco would be best, but I don't like the texture.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlandomike

Thanks!

Depends very much on the needs you have - do you need to wear suits or not? You want just to look better?
From my experience in suits a more "structured" tailoring - i.e. a stiffer construction - will help, peak lapels will do also, fit is the most important issue! Wearing a coat will slim you a little bit (unlined coats are bearable in warmer climates, mohair or fresco are good choices). If no need for suits, linen is a great choice, and it will get you out from the slouchy big guy stereotype. Good grooming also (a good haircut will be as important as a good fit in clothes); and demeanor is also a big factor in how you are perceived - see how John Goodman plays politicians, he has a "commanding posture". Losing a little bit of and doing some exercise will also help, good humor and sparkly conversation will score with the ladies!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads