• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes while flying...

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I'm at the airport, dressed in slacks, button up, sport coat no tie, and look way overdressed (although I'm not.) Am amazed at what people wear to travel. Guess I sound self righteous, but thanks for letting me vent, SF dudes...

EZ

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The-Aviator-helmet-thumb.jpg

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
^ That's great, Ich_Dien! I'm donning mine soon as we prepare for takeoff.

EZ

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it could also be that you're at the airport on a weekend.

Week days, there tends to be a higher percentage of business travelers (especially Mon/Tue early mornings, and Thu/Fri late evenings), and most folks tend to be better dressed.

Besides, if you're traveling for pleasure, why not dress comfortably -- especially for longer haul flights?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reminds me of the first time I was on a plane - I went to Sicily from NY, I was about 16, and wanted to get dressed up as thats what I thought people did when they flew.. Put on a grey linen suit (August) shirt and tie, and cursed myself for the next 11 hours. (Remember, I was 16). I looked like a giant wrinkle when we finally got there.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what makes travel special different from anything else you do that requires specific dress?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Well, it could also be that you're at the airport on a weekend.

Week days, there tends to be a higher percentage of business travelers (especially Mon/Tue early mornings, and Thu/Fri late evenings), and most folks tend to be better dressed.

Besides, if you're traveling for pleasure, why not dress comfortably -- especially for longer haul flights?

Possibly it is how I select my clothing, but I find I am not uncomfortable wearing pants, a button down shirt, and sports coat when I fly.

As to the OP, you would find a similar tendency to dress down at any other public event, including weddings, funerals, cruises, White House visits, court appearances, television appearances, and the like

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pardon my snark and derailment, but this was the first thing that came to mind. . .

bruno-emeinem-lap-mtv-movie-awards-2009-03.jpg

- M

Seriously, if you are still in "comparative" mode and feel that you stand out too much, then you have not found yourself, clotheswise or otherwise.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Possibly it is how I select my clothing, but I find I am not uncomfortable wearing pants, a button down shirt, and sports coat when I fly.
I have to fly several times a week for my job, usually on long haul flights. Over the years, the one thing I've realized is that comfort is way more important than looks, especially on longer flights when you want to conk out, or snuggle up and read a book. Little things go a long way to making you feel comfortable -- e.g. chinos or khaki pants, cotton shirt, a sweater, thicker socks, comfortable loafers (since your feet expand when you fly) etc. I usually take a sport coat, but it's put up. My point is, others' definition of comfort need not be the same as yours. It is possible that they find sweatshirts and jeans more comfortable -- so what? I can certainly understand -- given how uncomfortable coach can be, people want to eliminate as many other points of discomfiture.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is there a divide between "nice looking" and "comfortable"? It's a false dichotomy.

When flying, you want dark clothing that can be easily washed, is comfortable sitting for long periods of time and works well in the cool temperature of the plane cabin as well as the temperatures at your departure point and destination. You need shoes that you can leave on all day, can handle running across an airport when you need to catch a connection, and are easy to take off and put back on at security.

Can you work within that and look good? Yes, there are plenty of options. You don't need to go tracksuit. But a Super 180's suit and balmoral boots may not be the best idea.

ssnyc

Reaction score
Every time I do my annual flight to Hong Kong, I feel sorry for the gents who look like they are coming from/going straight to a meeting. It's usually the flight back that I see them poised for the 15.5 hour flight in slacks and sportcoats. I usually wear a T shirt/hoodie/some lightweight north face nylon pants.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Why is there a divide between "nice looking" and "comfortable"? It's a false dichotomy.

When flying, you want dark clothing that can be easily washed, is comfortable sitting for long periods of time and works well in the cool temperature of the plane cabin as well as the temperatures at your departure point and destination. You need shoes that you can leave on all day, can handle running across an airport when you need to catch a connection, and are easy to take off and put back on at security.

Can you work within that and look good? Yes, there are plenty of options. You don't need to go tracksuit. But a Super 180's suit and balmoral boots may not be the best idea.

Agree fully. And, I can be fully comfortable not dressing down. My one concession is slip-on shoes.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Your point is well taken, mmkn - got a laugh out of the snark. I suppose I'm just an anchronisim, wishing for the days of yore when everone dressed up to go out, and especially to travel. Of course I'm not dressed like that either, with hat & tie...

My op wasn't that well expressed, in the sense that I don't mind being a bit "over dressed" in comparison to the general population. Just more of an observation of how people seem to define comfortable clothes as old sweats and so on. I'm quite comfortable in what I have on...

The comment about flying during the week is good too, generally more business people.

Carry on, gentlemen.

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads