• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes that I intend on purchasing to change my style.

pc321

Reaction score
I posted on the style forum a couple of weeks ago and I basically just took some advice from the people that posted and I researched some clothing styles online. I've been looking around the threads and looking at clothes online to see what I think I should get. I basically need the opinions of anyone on this forum. The clothes that I am going to list are just the clothes that I will be buying for the start of college and I will start getting other stuff as the weather gets colder.

Will the following suffice for what I need to have for a nice, clean looking style in college? I just want to look nice and not look like a scrub.

2 tees (urban outfitters)
3 American Apparel basic t-shirts
2 chino shorts
2 plaid shorts
3 graphic t shirts
2 polos
2 pairs of jeans (probably slim straight levis.)
2 button down shirts (probably from jcrew)
pair of chuck taylors

I'm basically buying most of this at pac sun, express, AE, jcrew, urban outfitters, and american apparel. I'm just wondering if this will suffice for the start of college and if I have actually learned something about the latest college style for men. I haven't been happy with my current style because I've been just wearing graphic tees and jeans most of the time and I want to change that so I look a bit nicer.

Thanks in advance.

pc321

Reaction score
why shouldn't i do this? If you're trying to make fun of me or something, then dont reply. I just need some help.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Click "Start a Topic," then type in "College" and something like "Wardrobe." Then click in the message field and you'll see quite a few similar threads pop up. Best to go lurk and/or post in those, instead of starting a brand new thread for a topic that, quite honestly, has been discussed plenty.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pc321
why shouldn't i do this? If you're trying to make fun of me or something, then dont reply. I just need some help.

it's not making fun that's the soundest advice

pfurey

Reaction score
Hint: you don't want to dress like you're in college.

Bigger hint: you don't want to act like you are either.

trafficjam

Reaction score
How many socks will you have!? HOW MANY PAIRS OF UNDERWEAR?! Will you have one or two belts? Are you going to lace 4 or 6 of the eyelets on your pair of chuck taylors? Will you leave one or two buttons undone on your 2 button down shirts (probably from j crew). We need to know this to know if your plan will work.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Where's the ToJ?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pc321
Honestly... don't buy a whole bunch of clothes from a list because that's what you think you "need." Buy some clothes as they come along and items that you particularly like. Your best bet is to get a good pair of jeans (you'll wear these often, if not every day), a decent rotation of buttondown shirts (make sure they fit and you'll be steps ahead of the rest), and some good shoes (I like chucks too, but you may want to consider something more versatile). Granted, that seems like a list too, but consider it as more of a guideline. The biggest way to not look like a scrub is to wear things that fit. Take an honest look at the wardrobe you have now and see how everything sits. Find areas that might be lacking. Replace or fill the holes as needed. Don't be afraid to spend money and stay away from the mall as much as possible. And for the love of god, just lurk around the forum.

Simion505

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Honestly... don't buy a whole bunch of clothes from a list because that's what you think you "need." Buy some clothes as they come along and items that you particularly like.

Your best bet is to get a good pair of jeans (you'll wear these often, if not every day), a decent rotation of buttondown shirts (make sure they fit and you'll be steps ahead of the rest), and some good shoes (I like chucks too, but you may want to consider something more versatile).

Granted, that seems like a list too, but consider it as more of a guideline. The biggest way to not look like a scrub is to wear things that fit. Take an honest look at the wardrobe you have now and see how everything sits. Find areas that might be lacking. Replace or fill the holes as needed. Don't be afraid to spend money and stay away from the mall as much as possible.

And for the love of god, just lurk around the forum.

+1000

This is why you're getting lots of mocking responses. Antihero's covered it pretty well, don't approach buying clothes with a shopping list, I'm sure many of us have been there at some point... and if you think about it, it's quite stupid. If you go clothes shopping with a set list like that you're ultimately going to make quite a few decisions you will regret.

You could buy ill fitting stuff, or make poorly considered choices... simply because you've been shopping 3 hours already, you're tired and you just want to get those 2 button down shirts so you can complete your list and go home.

It'd be better if what you do is choose a few pieces at a time and spread the shopping out over many weeks.

Also, take great care with fit - if there is loads of loose cloth all over the place, it's too wide in the shoulders or is too tight and making you look fat, it clearly doesn't fit well. A person in average clothes that fit well can easily look better than someone wearing great clothes that fit poorly.
You want to look good, so really think about whether the fit is right for you or not. A warning with J. Crew - I've heard their shirts don't fit too great, so try them on and be honest with yourself about how they fit, and if they suit you or not.

Usul

Reaction score
Christ people, I think I bought more clothes than this last weekend. How much money are we even talking about here? A few thousand at the most?

Strombollii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
Christ people, I think I bought more clothes than this last weekend. How much money are we even talking about here? A few thousand at the most?

I can't tell if this is sarcastic, or if you're just trying to make yourself look ... good? douchey? Just stop now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads