• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Clothes steamers

Matthew231

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to this forum so hopefully I am using it right. I'm currently looking to buy a clothes steamer and wanted some advise please?. A friend recently let me try their 'Propress MINI steamer' (this one: https://www.propress.co.uk/product/handheld-clothes-steamer/) and it was simpy great. I'm hooked! But it seems a little expensive at £110 so I started Googling clothes steamers and came across this site - so I wanted to see a) if you think it is worth the price, and b) what you would recommend if not this one.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be careful about using steamers on tailored clothing -- they can take the shaping out of a tailored jacket and can also cause seam puckering. I don't use a steamer myself.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Much has been written about this issue. If you're using it on shirts, it's probably fine. If you're using it on suits and sport coats, steamers are bad for the reasons breakaway noted above.

A suit is a combination of careful tailoring and shaping. Think of how a woman shapes her hair with pressure and heat. The animal hair in your suit jacket and sport coats retain shape the same way. If you run steam through the garment, it will cause the garment to lose its shape. Same goes for a woman's hairstyle.

Steam can also cause the seams to pucker.

If your suits aren't of particularly high quality, some of this doesn't mean as much. It's a careful line to ride. SOme people like steamers because they get rid of wrinkles. In my experience, a quality suit will shed its wrinkles overnight (mostly). And steamers should be avoided for the reasons mentioned above. To get rid of serious wrinkles, you should just send your suits in for a hand pressing.

However, if your suits are lower- or mid-tier, they may not have the same shaping. If you don't have access to someone who can hand press it for you, that may also not be an option.

I'm always reluctant to recommend steamers because I think they do more harm than good. However, in some instances, I recognize that there aren't many options and the trade-offs may be worth it.

Before buying a steamer, I would ask

1. What do you plan to use it for? If it's shirts, then it's probably ok.

2. If your suits are high end (say, over $2000), then I would definitely avoid. As you get below the $500 mark, it's a toss up.

3. If you find that your suits wrinkle easily and you don't have a hand pressing service near you, then you may not have other options besides a steamer. This may be worth it if your suits cost $500 or below. Those suits generally don't have the same shaping as the high-end ones.

Note that you're on a forum where people are very particular about their clothes. Most people will not be able to spot the damage that a steamer causes to a suit until it has been pointed out to them. This is something else to consider.

There's a search function on this website. If you search for members names Despos and JefferyD, and use the keyword steamer or steamers, you can find more information. Despos is a bespoke tailor; JefferyD is a professional patternmaker at a well-regarded suit company.

jc8715

Reaction score
How might steamers work on linen-cotton casual shirts? Would it get them wrinkle free and only the placket and collar would need the iron?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How might steamers work on linen-cotton casual shirts? Would it get them wrinkle free and only the placket and collar would need the iron?
I find it quicker to iron, but if you blow steam through a shirt, it will help the fibers relax.

I use a Laurastar iron and it has both steam and ironing capabilities. Would not recommend using this on a suit in the way they demonstrate in the video. But the powerful steam function does help with ironing (better if you use it while ironing)

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a Samsung Airdresser so that I could 'clean' my suits each day after work last October, but then we had our big 5th wave and I gave up and never got back to wearing suits (since Jan 2020). My wife uses it now and again to 'refresh' her dresses. It's heavy but doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

johng70

Reaction score
another note on linen (or linen/cotton) - your results will be much better if the shirt is SLIGHTLY damp - wrinkles come out much quicker than a fully dry shirt.

maxalex

Reaction score
It’s easy to do touch-up ironing on tailored jackets at home. Usually this is needed on the elbows and the tail. Just be careful not to iron a crease into the sleeves. And never iron the lapel roll.

rjc149

Reaction score
I have a Rowenta steamer that I use on dress shirts and casual clothing. Particularly on polo shirts, which I keep folded in a drawer and not hung on a hanger. I also find it's useful on linen shirts and chinos.

It's useful on dress shirts, especially those made from untreated fabric.

I have also found that suits will shed wrinkles if hung properly and kept out of rotation for a few days. I use a trouser press to maintain the crease, which also deals with wrinkles pretty well. I don't use the steamer on my suits because I've never needed to.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.