• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes sources in Bristol, England

HouseAtreides

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently moved to Bristol in England, and don't know where to go for good quality clothes. I therefore wondered if any of you could recommend the following, with a physical shop rather than online (as I'm tired of returning things that don't fit or I don't like!)

A tailor in or near Bristol who does MTM as well as bespoke suits, at reasonable prices - starting at about £650 for a 2 piece suit. I'd like to get a couple of suits made in August, standard 10/11 oz fabric (Dugdale brothers etc)

A good shoe shop, selling Barker, Cheaney, Loake etc

Somewhere that sells John Smedley knitwear (other than Harvey Nichols, as I fear they'll have a big mark up)

A good place to buy sports coats - I normally get these from Marks and Spencer, but I'm struggling to find a mid grey sports coat that fits well. Price of up to £250 would be great.

A great place to buy chinos - white, light stone and sand coloured, in a tailored fit, rather than a super skinny one. Again reasonable prices, not designer over priced - so up to about £80 a pair.

All help is very much appreciated, thank you!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tailor: Can't help

Shoes: Herring Shoes are a great online service and they have a very helpful returns policy. If they don't fit or you dont like them simply return them.

Knitwear: Last time I checked JS also sold online. Go to Harvey Nicks and try the sizes and then just order on the website if the price is different.

Sportscoats: check out your nearest Charles Tyrwhitt (I assume that is Swindon), the coats are half canvas made from UK and Italian wools. Again if you don't like to travel then you have their 6 month return policy ordering online.

Chinos: I get the Military Chino from Ralph Lauren in House of Fraser, a little over budget but the fit is perfect for me so I just suck it up. If you're looking for something less slim you can try Charles Tyrwhitt again, they have a slightly higher quality than RL but don't fit as slim. Better prices at 22 for £65 as well.

HouseAtreides

Reaction score
Thank you Blackhood, that's very helpful.

Re the JS knitwear, now I have more time, I think I will email them and ask about true measurements at chest, waist and arm width, and compare that to my best fitting knitwear. That way I can cut to the right style - as they have a lot of fits!

I find returns a big hassle, so cutting through some of it would be good.

Shoes are so individual in fit, that I don't think Herrings are suitable - at least until I find a Last that works really well and can order in confidence. Luckily I've found a good couple of quality shoe shops in Clifton in Bristol.

Would still love to hear any recommendations for tailors, chaps.

Thanks again Blackhood.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Have you not visited any of the city centre shops or malls - or do you prefer not to do so?

Try 'tailors' in Yellow Pages, visit and see what you think. There is no obligation. Or if especially adventurous, try Google. For example, 'Tailors in Bristol' shows

http://www.bristol-tailoring.co.uk

and at least two others.

Last edited:

Geezer

Reaction score
There's a Gieves and Hawkes in Bath. Not my favourite tailor/outfitter, but not bad, and they can fix you up with Wensum MTM around £1000 and much of what you are looking for.

To be honest, you may be best off hopping on a fast train to London, where everything you are looking for and more can be found in a fairly small area.

I'd love to think that a city the size of Bristol has a good old-fashioned gentlemen's outfitter or bespoke tailor hidden away somewhere, but I fear not these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads